WnSoft Forums

Removing PTE Licence Key from the Registry

I have been asked by a colleague for some help in removing the embedded licence key from the registry but I do not know the answer. It seems that he has installed the latest version of PTE Deluxe (build 5.6.4)but when attempting to use 'Video Builder' he is getting a message to install the 'Licence Key' but the system seems to recognise the earlier (standard version key) and so will not let him install the new key.

Can someone explain what has to be done to overcome this problem please?

Thanks,

Ron West

Hi Ron,

I believe Video Builder has a separate key, so removing the main PTE key from the registry will not help AFAIK. It sound like he either doesn't have the key for Video Builder or he isn't installing it correctly.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin,

I understand what you say but the problem here is that whilst the older key remains in the registry, the new key (for video bulider) cannot be installed it seems. My theory is that if the existing key is removed from the registry, then the new key could be installed correctly. My problem is that I do not know how to identify the location of the key in the registry.

Having said that, what is the correct method of entering the new key and, will this 'overwrite' the existing key?

Ron

Ron.

The registry location of the PTE key can be found using keyword search/find PTE (match whole string only) :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PTE]

"Key"

--------

The registry location of the VideoBuilder key can be found using keyword search/find VideoBuilder (match whole string only) :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WnSoft\VideoBuilder]

"Key"

** One only needs to view your registry key file in a text editor to read the necessary location informaion. Use Regedit.exe keyword search/find function ... not the normal windows search/find function.

Ron.

The registry location of the PTE key can be found using keyword search/find PTE (match whole string only) :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PTE]

"Key"

--------

The registry location of the VideoBuilder key can be found using keyword search/find VideoBuilder (match whole string only) :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WnSoft\VideoBuilder]

"Key"

** One only needs to view your registry key file in a text editor to read the necessary location informaion. Use Regedit.exe keyword search/find function ... not the normal windows search/find function.

Hi nobeefstu,

Thanks for the information but I am afraid that you have gone a little over my head with this one. I have always been very wary of using the 'Regedit' option because I am afraid to tinker with the registry without knowing exactly what I am doing. If you have the time, perhaps you would be kind enough to provide a 'step by step' guide for me please - I would appreciate it.

Ron

Ron,

I believe the issue your colleague is having is not from the PTE key ... as this is a seperate key location as Lin indicated in his post.

Are you sure your colleague has a VideoBuilder Key file ( review the key file in a text editor and see if string [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WnSoft\VideoBuilder] is noted in its content)

Also ... make sure your colleague is entering the upgrade VideoBuilder Key file information from within the Videbuilder program main menu and not from within PTE program main menu.

Was the VideoBuilder key file email attachment received as a .txt file or as a .reg | .key file ?

Thanks Lin,

I understand what you say but the problem here is that whilst the older key remains in the registry, the new key (for video bulider) cannot be installed it seems. My theory is that if the existing key is removed from the registry, then the new key could be installed correctly. My problem is that I do not know how to identify the location of the key in the registry.

Having said that, what is the correct method of entering the new key and, will this 'overwrite' the existing key?

Ron

That assumption is not correct, I'm afraid Ron. The two keys reside in the registry adjacent to each other, and the presence or not of the PTE key has no effect on the VideoBuilder key. There is no need to remove the PTE key.

If you have the VB key, rename it to keyname.reg, and double-click the file to run it. Any file named *.reg is automatically imported into the registry no matter where the file is located in your folders.

I realise this system of registration is confusing, but it is necessary for the key to be recognised by future versions of PTE.

Colin