WnSoft Forums

DVD & Audio Expectations

MikeV99

What are reasonable expectations for the quality of DVDs made with P2E? One might expect a show to look better on a computer screen during development and not have the same quality when played on a TV DVD player. However, is the primary focus of P2E on making high quality exe's with a much lower of concern with DVDs?

I would like to be able to make DVDs (non-HD at this point) that the folks watching enjoy without concerns about sharpness, brightness, and so on. Obviously slideshows on the computer monitor will most likely always look better; however, the folks that will watch my shows will typically not be using a computer. What are reasonable expectations?

I assume that the best way to build shows that will be shown on someone else's Laptop/projector is to create exe's. I have been reading the discussions about resolution and am getting overloaded with information. Since one might not know the resolution of the projector, what is the "best" approach to make the exe look good (i.e., to get automatic resolution changes without loss of clarity or border shrinking)?

A lot of the shows I have been watching have a single audio track throughout the slideshow. How difficult (if it is even possible) to have spoken narrative included for each slide along with background music (voice over music)? Also, can that background music be changed during the slideshow (and with what difficulty)?

If all of this is possible, do examples (with source code) and tutorials with the audio features exist anywhere?

Thanks

You can do all you have decribed with PicturesToExe, but you will need to use a sound editor for some of what you ask. Joining musiv tracks and adding commentary for example. DVD quality is now very good and will meet the needs of most viewers.

There are tutorials available on this forum and also video tutorials here

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/digitalav/pte5.htm

If your going to need DVD's for TV viewing, why not make your basic slide show at HD resolutions 1920*1080. That file size will convert very well to modern flat screen TV's and you will have a slide show resolution that you could use in HD as and when the oppotunity arises. It will also play back OK on modern flat screen PC's too

You can do all you have decribed with PicturesToExe, but you will need to use a sound editor for some of what you ask. Joining musiv tracks and adding commentary for example.

Which audio editor and how difficult to use and incorporate the results into P2E?

I see in project options the ability to add background music to the project. I assume I would have to customize each slide to accomplish the background music with voice over?

Do you have any demos on your web site that demonstrate that capability?

If your going to need DVD's for TV viewing, why not make your basic slide show at HD resolutions 1920*1080. That file size will convert very well to modern flat screen TV's and you will have a slide show resolution that you could use in HD as and when the oppotunity arises. It will also play back OK on modern flat screen PC's too

If the resolution of the computer screen is smaller than 1920x1080 the project I created is shown in a smaller window with a larger black border (both exe and preview mode). The mp4 I created would size on my monitor using Quicktime view options, but lost the navigation buttons (took 30 minutes to create for 6 slides). However, the show pretty much bombs after about 6 seconds. The DVD I created (created the iso then burned it with imgburn) plays well on computer and TV. It is OK, but nothing to write home about. The underlying image is mpeg-2 -- don't know if that is good or bad. My attempt at menu building left a lot to be desired.

Still concerned about audio management.

Thanks Again.

Let me address a couple of your questions. First, you can use the very good freeware audio editor Audacity to do just about anything you need to do in the way of audio mix, etc.

Download it here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Yes you would need to customize each slide or the audio to match with your voice over.

You won't be able to use Navigation buttons on an MP4 show because you are working essentially with a "dumb" device in contrast to your computer which is a relatively "smart" device. With an executable file, you have the ability to pause, go forward, go backward, etc., because the code allows "on the fly" creation of your show beginning wherever your programming via menus and navigation allow. With a video file you have very limited abilities to do anything not allowed via the play device.

The reason it takes much more time to create a video (mp4, avi, mpeg II, etc.) is because "each" and every frame must be created and "stored" for the differences in animation, etc. So if you have, for example, a zoom into an image followed by a zoom out, at least 30 frames consisting of separate images must be created and saved for each one second of display time. When an executable file is created, it only contains the first frame and "instructions" to the computer to create successive frames "on the fly" and it creates double and more the frames in "most" videos. For example the "typical" PTE executable with animation will have 60 plus frames per second. You "can" create video with up to 60 frames per second as well, but the normal is "29.97 fps" for USA and 25 fps for PAL countries. These frames created on the fly by the computer are not saved or stored, only played as they are created.

The above is also the reason that "most" MP4 creations are much larger in terms of storage than an executable file which produces the same or much better quality.

Best regards,

Lin

MikeV99

If the resolution of the computer screen is smaller than 1920x1080 the project I created is shown in a smaller window with a larger black border (both exe and preview mode). The mp4 I created would size on my monitor using Quicktime view options, but lost the navigation buttons (took 30 minutes to create for 6 slides).

Your HD 1920x1080 mp4 has pan&scan features/options ... therefore its able to fit your monitor screen without black borders.

As for your slideshow.exe ... its possible to display your widescreen built slideshow to fill the screen (without black borders) by using a commandline with parameter to run the slideshow.exe

Heres Igor's instructions:

If you don't want to see these black strips and you would like to use all square of your display for a slideshow, use "Pan and Scan" feature of PicturesToExe. Create MyShow.bat file in Notepad and type:

"MyShow.exe" -Cover

It works for all EXE files with slideshows created in version 5.0 and later.

You can distribute a ZIP archive with your slideshow with EXE file and additionally included .bat file for fullscreen version:

MyShow_Widescreen.exe

MyShow_PanAndScan.bat

Other options:

* You can also execute the "MyShow.exe" -Cover pan&scan command using your Start menu's Run command function.

* Its also possible to execute the "MyShow.exe" -Cover pan&scan command within your slideshow.exe by using PTE's Run Slideshow/ Run Application capabilities. I personally prefer this option from a menu based slideshow (no .bat file is required) ... as it allows the intended user to select their own viewing preference if the widescreen slideshow does not fit their screen .

Note:

PTE's preview function does not provide pan&scan display options.

Let me address a couple of your questions. First, you can use the very good freeware audio editor Audacity to do just about anything you need to do in the way of audio mix, etc.

Download it here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Thank you. Yet another program to learn. One would think that audio would be as important as video when creating AV shows and that both capabilities would be included in the AV software. Interestingly enough (at least to me) one of the features that PSP is touted to have over P2E is the audio editing capability. However, in my limited testing it appears that one must use audacity with PSP. I have not quite figured out exactly what PSP has over P2E as far as audio is concerned.

Yes you would need to customize each slide or the audio to match with your voice over.

Anyone have a tutorial and pte example showing this?

You won't be able to use Navigation buttons on an MP4 show because you are working essentially with a "dumb" device in contrast to your computer which is a relatively "smart" device. With an executable file, you have the ability to pause, go forward, go backward, etc., because the code allows "on the fly" creation of your show beginning wherever your programming via menus and navigation allow. With a video file you have very limited abilities to do anything not allowed via the play device.

I have learned how to add basic navigation buttons to an exe. What I have not been able to figure out is if there is a way to have buttons that allow one to navigate one slide at a time (next slide and previous slide) in the exe?

Thanks again

Mike

MikeV99

Your HD 1920x1080 mp4 has pan&scan features/options ... therefore its able to fit your monitor screen without black borders.

As for your slideshow.exe ... its possible to display your widescreen built slideshow to fill the screen (without black borders) by using a commandline with parameter to run the slideshow.exe

Heres Igor's instructions:

Dumb question probably, but where do I find these instructions?

Other options:

* You can also execute the "MyShow.exe" -Cover pan&scan command using your Start menu's Run command function.

* Its also possible to execute the "MyShow.exe" -Cover pan&scan command within your slideshow.exe by using PTE's Run Slideshow/ Run Application capabilities. I personally prefer this option from a menu based slideshow (no .bat file is required) ... as it allows the intended user to select their own viewing preference if the widescreen slideshow does not fit their screen .

Note:

PTE's preview function does not provide pan&scan display options.

That makes sense. I read a little on that on another thread. Are there other sources I should read?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

On "Project Options" "Main Tab" put a check beside "Wait for a Key Press or Mouse Click to show next slide."

This will make your show a "manual" advance, retreat, pause, etc.,show.

Lin

snip

I have learned how to add basic navigation buttons to an exe. What I have not been able to figure out is if there is a way to have buttons that allow one to navigate one slide at a time (next slide and previous slide) in the exe?

Thanks again

Mike

Hi Mike,

On "Project Options" "Main Tab" put a check beside "Wait for a Key Press or Mouse Click to show next slide."

Let me reiterate though, these are "executable slideshow" commands, these have nothing to do with DVD, AVI, MP4, MPEG II, etc., use.

PTE is extremely versatile, you can easily create a menu which will allow you to Jump to any particular slide from any other slide, etc. For example, create a hidden button or position on the screen which when clicked will pop up a menu with the options of going to a different slide, to an email, to a website, etc., etc, the potential is extremely flexible. However, these are "executable" slideshow features and can't be used on a DVD or video slideshow.

Lin

Hi Mike,

Lin

That did not change anything.

I can click on the pause icon, then click on the forward/backward navigation buttons to accomplish that action. Maybe it is because I have navigation buttons enabled?

I am using the air style buttons which are nice. Does a style editor exist or a description of the settings in the ini file? I would like to add some text to the buttons.

I will go experiment some more.

Has anyone written a book in English for P2E? The BeechBrook web page has quite a bit of information.

Thank you for the time you have spent with me. The more I learn about P2E the more I am impressed with its capabilities.

Mike

IN MY SIGNATURE

there are urls for the current help manuals that are available for download -- one written by Jeff Evans and Lin Evans and one written by wnsoft staff

they are both pdf files - quite large to print but they have screenshots etc

they are not up to date but for somebody starting out there is a wealth of info in them

ken

That did not change anything.

Hi Mike,

The difference is that with the check mark, the show will "Not" advance unless you click on the nevigation settings where with "just" the navigation bar, if you have the slides set for some specific time, the show "will" advance when that time ticks down "unless" you click on "Pause."

I can click on the pause icon, then click on the forward/backward navigation buttons to accomplish that action. Maybe it is because I have navigation buttons enabled?

No, the "Pause" icon is one of several "optional" but "default" buttons for the navigation bar. You don't need to even have the "pause" button if you click on the check mark in the Main Tab of the Project Options to set a manual show.

I am using the air style buttons which are nice. Does a style editor exist or a description of the settings in the ini file? I would like to add some text to the buttons.

Yes, you can edit the color, shape and type of the buttons. Look at the example I sent you and you can see a couple styles. The "Exit" button is different than the "button 1, button 2, etc. The colors, shape, size, text, attributes, opacity, shadows, etc. are all editable as is the condition for button "hover" as to whether or not the colors change when you hover and/or click a button. Also, "any" object can be used as a "button" and assigned similar attributes so you could actually design your own buttons. You could, for example, use a picture of an object and assign to that object the same attributes which can be assigned to buttons. The versatility is nearly unlimited.

I will go experiment some more.

Definitely the "best" way to learn.....

Has anyone written a book in English for P2E? The BeechBrook web page has quite a bit of information.

Yes, both the manual referenced by Ken in his signature block and the "offical" one can be downloaded off the Forum.

Thank you for the time you have spent with me. The more I learn about P2E the more I am impressed with its capabilities.

Mike, also go to the "Tutorials and Articles" section of the forum and look for my PTE Made Easy - PTE for Smarties AVI and PFD tutorials on various subjects - I think you will find some helpful information there....

Mike

Lin,

Thanks again. I have set up my left/right mouse for previous/next and they work like a charm.

I had looked at the object & animations and saw where one could set the properties of the buttons in the demo you sent me. I also saw that one could use add/button to add an ellipical button. However, I assume (bad choice, I know) that you designed your own exit button (add/image)? Does a source of common button templates exist (other than starting from scratch in CS4)?

Hi Mike,

Actually, I only used a different "theme" for the "Exit" button, you might want to experiment with the themes and also with the advanced button properties. The shape is variable as well.

Actually though, the buttons I wanted to modify are the navigation buttons included in the navigation screen (i.e., C:\Program Files\WnSoft PicturesToExe\5.6\All\NavBar\Air style.pt\NavBar.ini). This file contains detail definitions for the navigation buttons. I wanted to modify them to contain small text descriptions along with the images. Where are style properties defined?

The actual default navigation buttons shouldn't be modified, but you can create any number and type and save them as new "styles" in separate folders.

I suspect the style properties are hard coded for these, but you can download nearly an endless stream of "buttons" via the web, some of them free, and there are inexpensive software applications designed to create buttons.

Here are a few:

http://www.crystalbutton.com/ ($39)

http://free-web-buttons1.software.informer.com/ (bunch of free ones here)

Though you can, of course, create them from scratch in Photoshop, etc., it's easier I think to just use one of these programs and modify them to suit..

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Mike,

Not exactly a "style editor" but one of our forum members "Stu Rands" (nobeefstu) has created a PTE reporter which gives the variables in an easily read format.

The essence is that the .pte file contains a data set which holds all the variables as you have programmed them with the PTE software. This set of variables is used at the time of Preview or Creation of your slideshow and it contains all the variables such as timings, zooms, rotations, pans, opacities, colors, shadows, fonts requested, keyframes, etc., etc., which are vital to the creation of the slideshow.

Sometimes, when a user wants to make changes to a show which affect multiple slides and they don't want to have to go to each slide to individually make these changes, they instead alter the PTE file itself with a text editor. However, this can be quite dangerous so if you attempt this be sure you are working on a duplicate backup instead of the original pte file.

Of course when a PTE file is edited and saved, the save must be non-formatting such as an ASCII file.

Most of what you will need to do in the majority of cases can more easily and safely be done with PTE itself especially until you really understand the internals well.

The best way to understand how PTE works in terms of the file layout is to study the PTE file itself. That's best done by simply duplicating it under a different name and studying the duplicate so no harm might be done by accident.

Do a forum search for "nobeefstu" and look for his download link for his "Project Reporter" which displays the variables in an easy to read format.

Best regards,

Lin

Ken

Very impressive! Thank you very much.

I have also been looking at Lin's tutorial which contains a lot of info.

Do you know of any information about a style editor or a definition of the file layout?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Not exactly a "style editor" but one of our forum members "Stu Rands" (nobeefstu) has created a PTE reporter which gives the variables in an easily read format.

Do a forum search for "nobeefstu" and look for his download link for his "Project Reporter" which displays the variables in an easy to read format.

Best regards,

Lin

Thank you. Information on the latest version is available in thread.

Mike