WnSoft Forums

Pictures for use in PTE not appearing

colin hill

I am now using a 23" screen in digital with a resolution of 1920 x 1080. I took pictures from my Flight Simulator X and saved them in a folder.

When opening the folder to view the pictures in order to set up my presentation, they are all white.

I was previously using a 19" screen in analogue and the pictures I took were 1024 x 718 and this worked perfectly.

Any suggestions to solving this problem?

Hi Colin,

This doesn't sound like it's a PTE problem but most likely something non related. Can you see these images with Irfanview or Photoshop? Could you zip your PTE file by using the "File" "Create Backup in Zip" feature and post a link to it. This way it will be possible to determine whether the issue is with PTE or with local hardware, etc.

If you don't have a website where you can post the file, upload it to MediaFire (Mediafire.com) and the post the link.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Yes I can see the images using photoshop etc. I will try zip my pte file and post a link and see what happens.

I need to know if there is any limitation on the size of the images that are used on PTE?

Thank you,

Best regards,

Colin Hill

Hi Colin,

There are no PTE software limitations, but since PTE uses hardware rendering (it uses your video card to create Pan, Zoom, Rotate images which are the intermediary images between your original and whatever you eventually end up with for a zoom or pan or rotate) there are definitely hardware limitations. Powerful video cards will handle most any size image you use but if your video RAM is low, the power of your GPU processor is weak, or if you (or the person viewing on their own equipment) have less than optimal video cards, then using very large images could be problematic.

Let's have a look at your zipped file first, then if you could go to the "Start" "Run" and type in "dxdiag" and click on O.K. we can see what type GPU and power you have in your video system.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Colin,

There are no PTE software limitations, but since PTE uses hardware rendering (it uses your video card to create Pan, Zoom, Rotate images which are the intermediary images between your original and whatever you eventually end up with for a zoom or pan or rotate) there are definitely hardware limitations. Powerful video cards will handle most any size image you use but if your video RAM is low, the power of your GPU processor is weak, or if you (or the person viewing on their own equipment) have less than optimal video cards, then using very large images could be problematic.

Let's have a look at your zipped file first, then if you could go to the "Start" "Run" and type in "dxdiag" and click on O.K. we can see what type GPU and power you have in your video system.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin.

I hope I have done the copying the link correctly.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xwmnzo4zmno

My system info is as follows:

TSystem Information

------------------

Time of this report: 7/23/2009, 17:00:05

Machine name: COLIN-VISTA

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: GBT___

System Model: NVDAACPI

BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 3070MB RAM

Page File: 1201MB used, 5143MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Display Tab 2: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Sound Tab 3: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)

DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)

DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0193&SUBSYS_22521682&REV_A2

Display Memory: 1576 MB

Dedicated Memory: 297 MB

Shared Memory: 1279 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll

Driver Version: 7.15.0011.8250 (English)

DDI Version: 10

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 3/27/2009 10:03:00, 6082560 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-42D3-11CF-0855-590202C2CA35}

Vendor ID: 0x10DE

Device ID: 0x0193

SubSys ID: 0x22521682

Revision ID: 0x00A2

Revision ID: 0x00A2

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_

Please advise if you cannot read anything or you need any more info.

Best regards,

Colin Hill

opt_expireText=Sorry, but trial period of this presentation has expired

LOOKING AT THE pte i see no mention of the bmp that was in zip

but the the bmp opens ok on my system but not with the pte

so by bringing the bmp in and hitting preview

i get your plane ok

every time i click preview i get a different fade

ken

opt_expireText=Sorry, but trial period of this presentation has expired

LOOKING AT THE pte i see no mention of the bmp that was in zip

but the the bmp opens ok on my system but not with the pte

so by bringing the bmp in and hitting preview

i get your plane ok

every time i click preview i get a different fade

ken

Ken,

You're getting different fades every time because he has all the transitions ticked on the Project Options | Effects tab (i.e. random transitions). And your reference to the Expire text is a red herring because he doesn't have time limited usage ticked on Project Options | Main tab.

Colin,

The project file that you have posted in your zip file has no image files associated with it at all. It is, in effect, an empty project file. However, upon re-reading your original post, I think we all might have mis-understood your problem. Are you really saying that, when you get to the stage where you are ready to drag-and-drop images from the File Panel down into the Slide List (the same stage that you have captured in your project file), all the image thumbnails in the File Panel are white, and therefore you cannot see which is which?

regards,

Peter

Hi Ken

Sorry I am not familiar as yet with posting links.

I seemed to have, I hope, solved the problem, and it is a vista problem.

I have 3 user accounts. I took the images and opened PTE using my user account "Colin".

I decided to open my user account "administrator" and I took some images and opened PTE and opened the folder where the images were and they all came up.

I hope I have solved the problem and will let you know. I cannot wait to get Windows 7!!!!!

Best regards,

Colin hIll

Ken,

You're getting different fades every time because he has all the transitions ticked on the Project Options | Effects tab (i.e. random transitions). And your reference to the Expire text is a red herring because he doesn't have time limited usage ticked on Project Options | Main tab.

Colin,

The project file that you have posted in your zip file has no image files associated with it at all. It is, in effect, an empty project file. However, upon re-reading your original post, I think we all might have mis-understood your problem. Are you really saying that, when you get to the stage where you are ready to drag-and-drop images from the File Panel down into the Slide List (the same stage that you have captured in your project file), all the image thumbnails in the File Panel are white, and therefore you cannot see which is which?

regards,

Peter

Colin,

I would expect Windows7 to still have the concept of Administrator IDs and User IDs - with different permissions between them.

So I suggest that you need to get into the discipline of using the Administrator ID only for installing and uninstalling software and using the personal ID for using the software. Trying to mix usage across the two ID types is a guaranteed recipe for endless hassle.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Admin = look after the hardware and software

User = Play with the software (maybe even do something useful with it!)

Further, if you are the only person using that particular system, you could save even more hassle and give yourself Admin rights.

regards,

Peter

Peter et al

the original pte has no mention of the bmp

but the revised one that i made does

ShowPic=1

Picture=G:\1_P2E HOLDER\DOWNLOADS FROM COTTAGE ETC\1 JULY 09 COTTAGE ETC\Colin Hill\2009-6-16_12-17-48-959.BMP

how does his explanation -- Administrator IDs and User IDs

have anything to do with the pte not showing the pict?

I am not too swift with the contents of pte's and i looked for obvious faults -- no mention of the bmp was obvious

as you say KEEP it SIMPLE

so

IMHO

Colin should forget about permissions till he becomes more familiar with the workings of his system

ken

...When opening the folder to view the pictures in order to set up my presentation, they are all white...

I've added the italic and underscore to highlight the important words in Colin's original post.

He hasn't got as far as populating the Slide List. He can't because all the thumbnails in the file folder are white.

how does his explanation -- Administrator IDs and User IDs

have anything to do with the pte not showing the pict?

Ken,

I don't know but the "not showing" applies to what he sees, or rather doesn't see, in the File Panel. And as I assume that PTE uses standard Windows routines to display the contents of the files folder, there may very well be a connection. But only Igor can confirm this is how PTE is coded.

regards,

Peter

Peter

have tried all combo's of the view tab and aways get the bmp to show

but in retrospect , when i originally opened the pte there was nothing showing in the left panel until i directed the pte to the location of Colins file

G:\1_P2E HOLDER\DOWNLOADS FROM COTTAGE ETC\1 JULY 09 COTTAGE ETC\Colin Hill

and then the bmp showed and i just added it with the add slide command

so maybe he was in the wrong location when he opened the pte initially like i was

which goes back to what we have tried to stress the importance of having all slides and material for the project in a properly named folder

ken