WnSoft Forums

Text in Buttons

Ronniebootwest

I think that this topic has been discussed before but I can't find it within the search parameters.

My problem is that when adding text to a button (created with PTE) the size of this text changes, depending on the length of the text string.

Is there a way of maintaining a constant size? If I have a series of buttons on a menu, I want the same size text in each.

Thanks for any help.

Ron West

Ron,

There is a provision to set the minimum width of a Button when using various text string lengths. This way the Button lenght is always maintained.

In the O&A of the Button Object ... click the Advanced button within the Properties tab. There are also other settings available to help layout the Button and Text relationship.

I don't think that will meet your needs will it Ron, the button still grows if you put a longer title on it. In fact the buttons in PTE worked better in PTE4

I now use a separate bit of software to create multi media buttons

You are right! What software are you talking about?

Ron

Not very elegant, but it should work:

• Create all buttons you want to use
  • Fill in the button texts
  • For all buttons choose the same value for "Vertical border offset"
  • Use the zoom function in combination with the grid in order to bring all buttons to the same height (now all texts should have equal sizes)
  • Use the function "Horizontal border offset" in order to bring all buttons to the same length.

Regards,

Xaver

Not very elegant, but it should work:

• Create all buttons you want to use
  • Fill in the button texts
  • Use the zoom function in combination with the grid in order to bring all buttons to the same height (now all texts should have equal sizes)
  • Use "Horizontal border offset" of the advanced functions mentioned by Stu in order to bring all buttons to the same length. All buttons should have the same value for "Vertical border offset".

Regards,

Xaver

This sounded promicing when I read it but, I am afraid that it doesn't seem to work for me!

Looks Like I will have to create my buttons and text in Photoshop.

Ron

This sounded promicing when I read it but, I am afraid that it doesn't seem to work for me!

Sorry! I tested it with version 5.6, and it did work. I modified the workflow description a little bit, regarding the parameter "Vertical border offset", without changing the general idea.

Regards,

Xaver

My problem is that when adding text to a button (created with PTE) the size of this text changes, depending on the length of the text string.

Is there a way of maintaining a constant size? If I have a series of buttons on a menu, I want the same size text in each.

Thanks for any help.

Ron West

Ron, I am not completely sure to understand what you want to make.

You want to maintain the same size of the buttons whatever the text in it, each character of the text in those buttons having the same size ?

I made a test of PTE of what I understood (see file attched) and if it is what you want, it's easy.

Did I undestand correctly your request ? :unsure:

post-2148-1249853632_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

I think Ron didn't realize that the button size must be large enough to accommodate the text or the text "must" change size or it won't fit within the button space. As long as the button is large enough, the text will not change size as I understand it...

Best regards,

Lin

Ron, I am not completely sure to understand what you want to make.

You want to maintain the same size of the buttons whatever the text in it, each character of the text in those buttons having the same size ?

I made a test of PTE of what I understood (see file attched) and if it is what you want, it's easy.

Did I undestand correctly your request ? :unsure:

I think I know what Ron is trying to do here. With PTE4, the buttons didn't have the same neat look as they do now. However, they were much easier to create and they looked pretty neat too all lined up and the same size.

I used them for all my DVD menus, but when PTE5 appeared I lost the ability to create the buttons in the way I liked. (Small price to pay for the improvements in PTE5 I might add)

Anyway, at that time I moved over to a dedicated and simple piece of software called Multi-Media Builder, which allows me to create simple, yet slylish menus for any project.

Ron,

I haven't checked that this will solve your problems but it is how I approach buttons when I use them...

Create your biggest button first then copy it (Ctrl+C) and create all subsequent buttons by pasting (Ctrl+V), moving into position and finally changing the text via O&A Properties.

regards,

Peter