WnSoft Forums

image quality - problems

marconeros

My problem is about images' quality when I load them with the original dimensions into a project, whithout resize.

Because I ve noticed a lightly lossness in clarity and details definition.

Are we sure that this software doesn't modify the native files?

What I must do to avoid this problem?

Excuse me for bad english I'm italian and i hope someone can answer to my question.

Hi,

The only time PTE modifies an image in terms of visible quality is when you have the anti-shimmer or blur checked in Objects and Animations. If you display the image at original dimensions at 100% there is no modification at all. If you display fit to slide or cover slide, etc., and the display resolution is smaller in pixel dimensions than the original image, the image will be downsampled to fit that screen size. If the original image is smaller than the display resolution it will be upsampled.

You have the option of either choosing fit to slide where the image fills the horizontal aspect of the display or cover slide where the image covers the vertical aspect of the display. You may also choose to type in the original dimensions of the image and when you have not altered the zoom in Objecta and Animations, the full original image is displayed with absolutely no alteration. If you have resampled your camera's capture to the display device's pixel dimensions in either horizontal or vertical aspect (or both depending on the display's aspect ratio) then by choosing either fit to slide or cover slide there would be no change at all from your original resample providing that the aspect ratio of your resample perfectly matched the display device. For example, if you crop your original capture to 1920 x 1080 and displayed this image on a wide screen 1080p television, neither fit to slide or cover slide would change the image in any way because the original crop and the display device would have identical pixel dimensions. Likewise were you to resample a 4:3 original from an Olympus 4/3rd capture to the display dimensions of a 4:3 monitor. In such case the "original" as far as PTE is concerned would be your resample. When displayed the "original" and the PTE displayed image would be virtually identical. In the case of the 1920 x1080 crop, had you resampled then cropped rather than simply cropped the original camera capture, the display by PTE would be identical in quality to your resample rather than to your original. Note the difference between "cropping" an original which leaves you with 100% original pixels but not original full content and resampling something like a 3:2 (typical dSLR capture aspect ratio) then cropping.

PicturesToExe produces the finest image quality of "any" presentation slidshow software. In fact, it's one of the very few presentation slideshow products which "doesn't" necessarily change the image quality.

Best regards,

Lin

Thank you so much for your usefull observations.

But I continued to notice a strange effect, which seems more evident when I load images which dimensions are relatively small or unusual (for example 800x600 px, 850x640 etc...).

Once started either preview or exe, image quality appears more soft and smooth than the original files I see in photoshop...

I'm sure that the anti-shimmer or blur in Objects and Animations are uncheked, and only if I previously check "low quality resize" button in Objects and Animations I can see images almost whith quality of the original files.

What is wrong in my worflow???

crop1n.jpg original file's crop

crop2.jpg slide's crop

Hi,

It sounds like your are resizing (you mention of checking or not the "low quality resize" button). Find the Photoshop size of your original image then open PTE with that original slide loaded.

Go to Objects and Animations and click on the "Common" tab.

Click on the Size and Position in Pixels button.

Click on the "In Pixels" tab.

Type in the exact pixel dimensions as given by Photoshop for your image under "size."

Now test it with the preview and it should be identical to your Photoshop image.

How are you getting the "crop" from your example? Are you using a screen capture tool, etc.

If you resize by either using the bounding rectangle or by typing in zoom dimensions, the image is being manipulated. If you play the image back at its original size there should be no change

Best regards,

Lin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lin,

I need your help.

I made two panoramas.

First one is 1280x720 fix size screen/cover slide

The second one is 1920x1080 virtual size screen/cover slide

The main picture of this pano is a 11424x1080px jpg.

In fact there is no big difference in quality with the original except the shimmering effect on the mast of sailing boats at the very beginning and also on some vertical lines. This shimmering effect is visible on PC screens. If I display the second one (1920x1080) on a TV LCD screen with same resolution there is no problem at all.

How can I reduce this shimmering effect for PC viewers without having to resize the main picture depending on PC screen resolution?

Pano_1280x720

Pano_1920x1080

(just for information : Loctudy bay (Brittany/France)- music is from Adragante (Tradincelt abstract "sous la pluie")/ creativecommons license)

Thanks in advance

Daniel.

Hi Daniel,

Both are perfect on my CRT computer screen so it's difficult for me to assess the issue. Shimmering is an effect which may be caused by several factors and ameliorated by several means including your video card settings. Since I don't see the problem on my CRT, I tried it on my wife's LCD display and couldn't see it there either. Both have nVidia video cards. Mine is an 8800 GT and hers an 8600 GT OC (over clocked). Both have 512 meg video RAM.

The first thing, of course, is to set mipmapping (antishimmer) on and it appears that you have already done this. Perhaps others might also look at these pans of the panorama and see how many actually see shimmering on vertical objects.

You might want to read this as well and see if there are settings for your own video card:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2541757

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

I need your help.

I made two panoramas.

First one is 1280x720 fix size screen/cover slide

The second one is 1920x1080 virtual size screen/cover slide

The main picture of this pano is a 11424x1080px jpg.

In fact there is no big difference in quality with the original except the shimmering effect on the mast of sailing boats at the very beginning and also on some vertical lines. This shimmering effect is visible on PC screens. If I display the second one (1920x1080) on a TV LCD screen with same resolution there is no problem at all.

How can I reduce this shimmering effect for PC viewers without having to resize the main picture depending on PC screen resolution?

Pano_1280x720

Pano_1920x1080

(just for information : Loctudy bay (Brittany/France)- music is from Adragante (Tradincelt abstract "sous la pluie")/ creativecommons license)

Thanks in advance

Daniel.