WnSoft Forums

Timing in P2E V Proshow

trailertrash

I've noticed that in p2e the slide timing needs to be greater than proshow. Example:

pro show can set a slide time of say 3 seconds and there is ample viewing time.

In p2e the same 3 seconds seem to rocket past with no time to view the slide at all.

Is this me? Am I doing something wrong because I seem to have to set a time of around 9 seconds to get the equivelant time on screen as proshow's 3 or 4 seconds?

This means less slides in the show with p2e than proshow.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Andrew

Guest Yachtsman1

I've noticed that in p2e the slide timing needs to be greater than proshow. Example:

pro show can set a slide time of say 3 seconds and there is ample viewing time.

In p2e the same 3 seconds seem to rocket past with no time to view the slide at all.

Is this me? Am I doing something wrong because I seem to have to set a time of around 9 seconds to get the equivelant time on screen as proshow's 3 or 4 seconds?

This means less slides in the show with p2e than proshow.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Actual screen time can be reduced by effects & fades, eg a three second slide time will barely be seen with a 1.5 second fade in & out. Are you setting your times via project options or customise??? A three second slide time set without fades or effects will give 3 seconds of screen time.

Yachtsman1

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

The time for slide display in PTE includes the transition time. If you set "quick, no transition," or turn off the transitions in Project Options, the time you have chosen for a slide will be identical to the time your slide remains completely on screen. If you have, for example, a three second transition into and out of the slide then the time the slide remains on screen will be affected by that transition time. You can overlap into the next or preceding slide if you wish - it's very versatile.

There is no difference between Proshow Gold, Proshow Producer and PTE in the number of slides in a show for a given time duration, just a difference in the way they are represented on the timeline.

To understand this, create a PTE slideshow with only four slides. Set the timing for each slide to 10 seconds and turn off transitions and time the show with a stopwatch. You will have precisely 40 seconds of slides. Now set a fade for each slide for three seconds and time the four slides again and you will have precisely 40 seconds. Each slide will remain on screen for seven seconds and be in transition for three seconds, etc.

You can actually overlap slides by pulling the transition beyond the end of the timing set for example, slide one and into the fade-in time for slide two while pulling the display start for slide two back into the ending time for slide one. PTE gives you some versatility you don't have with Producer or Gold this way for specialized effects.

Best regards,

Lin

Andrew

As Lin said, there is no real difference, just in how it is displayed so, your not comparing apples with apples.

Your post reminded me of a view I have held for many years that it is often better to settle on one bit of software and then we tend to get the best from that software. Even if that software is reported to be less worthy than others, it is often better for our creativity if we stay with one.

It's horses for courses (of course) as some love to use all different types of software and compare them. I am not one of those and boringly stay with a few chosen selections, but what you have experienced is pretty typical when we use different software that does much the same thing.

Having said all that, can I ask you a question. I hope I am right in assuming you were first a ProShow Gold user. If that is so, what prompted you to moved over to PicturesToExe

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the very detailed replies. I'm going to have to get busy with a stop watch. [Joking]

Yaughtsman1 I understand that the timings are probably the same but it seems that the slides disappear faster [if that makes sense].

Lin Thank you for that reply. I'll have to try the exercise you suggest and I will post my 'findings'. I've got it written down now.

Barry yes, I started out with Gold and then promoted myself to producer. I know your right about sticking to one piece of software and I really should.

I like producer for the 'easy' method of applying styles etc, but find the keyframes a handful. I found P2E thanks to your site, being pointed there by a friend on a photography site.

I downloaded and watched with awe the show called 'The Black Country' and the fact that the quality far outstriped Producer was the icing on the cake.

My problem lies in the fact that I'm not a technically minded person, and when I see some of the styles etc that you guys apply to your shows I wish I could do that too but it just wont happen, so sometimes I go back to producer to try and emulate what I see, but doing it the idiots way. P2E is without question the best there is for this type of work,and the ease of use is superior to anything out there.

[igor take note of this endorsement]. So...my new year resolution is to stick to P2E and set about learning the programme properly.

No doubt I will bombard you all with silly questions, but I know you will help me as you all did with my Auschwitz presentation which goes for viewing on the 14th of January.

Andrew

Lin:

I tried the exercise you suggested and yes I had exactly 30 seconds for 3 slides.

If I understand this correctly, a 10 second duration with a 3 second transition will give an on screen time of 7 seconds.

Here's what I dont understand...what will a 3 second slide time with a 3 second transition yeild? I make it about 2 seconds or less.

In proshow the 3 second slide time and 3 second transition dont affect each other. Thats where I'm having the difficulty. I hope I have explained this properly.

Andrew.

Andrew,

If you build a short sequence of just a handful of slides and then set the slide duration to 3 seconds and the effect duration to 3 seconds also, you will then see for yourself what the outcome is. If you choose the simple Fade effect you will get a constantly "changing" image that never is absolutely frozen on one particular slide. If the accompanying music is soft and dreamy in its mood and the images match the mood, this technique of having the slide duration and effect duration exactly the same is one of my favourites.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Now I dont want you guys to start laughing [i'm listening] but I just found the timeline thingy. What I now understand is that to achieve a 3 second viewing time [uninterupted] and a 3 second transition the timer has to be set for 6 seconds. It' so simple when it finally sinks in!!!!

Barry, your point is now fully understood and I intend to stick to P2E.

Hey....I said no Laughing.

Andrew

My problem lies in the fact that I'm not a technically minded person, and when I see some of the styles etc that you guys apply to your shows I wish I could do that too but it just wont happen.

You can't allow yourself to be defeated that easily, many of the most pleasing effects are in fact easier to create than many people might think. I always think software is like learning to drive, at first we just can't quite get the hang of it, then suddenly we are doing it and when we look back we can't even decide when it was that the penny dropped.

Some of the complex animations on this forum can be demanding and don't even try to keep up with the Dom, on the technical side of animation, well, I think everyone accepts he is way out in front.

so sometimes I go back to producer to try and emulate what I see.

Well, if I can cut the diplomacy for a while, don't, dump PSG its rubbish blink.gif stay with PTE and learn just a little more about it and you won't look back. Since when can anything worthwhile be learned in 2 minutes and the learning is fun too.

Remember, all the fancy software in the world will not hide the fact that a slide show is just not very good. No transitions or animation you can ever dream up will make a bad picture/idea good. Concentrate first on a few standard shows without animation and use the old standard fade/in/out and you will see what I mean. Many of the effects that do retain charm and add to our shows are created in our image editors anyway.