WnSoft Forums

PTE engine ?

danmassefrance

Hello !

I have spent many hours trying to solve this problem... no success...

Here is the problem : when I preview a show from pte, it goes well, music and all - almost. But when I try to view the effects on a particular slide, then the sound is completely distorted, and the slide moves in a jerky way : it is quite impossible to work on the slide.

I have the same problem with V 6.0 and 5.6.

Obviously, I have a problem on my computer. I removed all spyware and such and I disabled all unecessary software.

So, I suspect the "engine" itself has been damaged : what could I do to repair it ?

Thanks for your help !

Dan

Dan,

Download the latest version (v6.0.2) from WnSoft website then uninstall the existing v6 and re-install the new download. All your PTE licence keys should work (unless your VideoBuilder licence is more than two years old). I would suggest that you keep your existing v5 installation until after you have solved this problem with v6. Then you can make a decision as to whether to keep v5 or not.

regards,

Peter

Dan,

Download the latest version (v6.0.2) from WnSoft website then uninstall the existing v6 and re-install the new download. All your PTE licence keys should work (unless your VideoBuilder licence is more than two years old). I would suggest that you keep your existing v5 installation until after you have solved this problem with v6. Then you can make a decision as to whether to keep v5 or not.

Of course, this is one of the first things I tried.

But I have the same problem with both versions, 5.6 and 6.O

Dan,

Trying to diagnose this kind of problem when we cannot see what you see is a real challenge. Please have patience as I ask some questions:

What operating system are you using?

Are your video card and sound card drivers up-to-date?

Is the problem confined to just the one sequence?

Do you have other sequences that work without these problems?

Is the slide motion jerky if you remove all of the sound files from the sequence?

regards,

Peter

What operating system are you using?
XP
Are your video card and sound card drivers up-to-date?
Yes, that is also one of the first things I did : update all my drivers.
Is the problem confined to just the one sequence?
No : the problem is the same, with all sequences of all shows made with both V5.6 and V6.0
Do you have other sequences that work without these problems?
Nope...
Is the slide motion jerky if you remove all of the sound files from the sequence?
Yes. Same thing

Thanks for your help !

Dan

Should have said this earlier in the dialogue: If two versions of PTE give the same result it is unlikely to be a fault in the PTE code.

Right. I have made several shows with both versions of PTE, and I never had any problem. As a matter of fact, I am amazed at the fluidity of PTE.

The show I am working on now uses 1920x512 images - and quite a few panoramic pictures, which are even wider. But this is not the first time I make such a show, and I had no problem with the other.

But something happened to my computer. Some spyware, maybe. I believe I cleaned everything, but there is probably something left, and I am wondering where to look... Maybe the engine PTE is using has been damaged, and needs to be restored...

Thanks for your help !

Dan

Dan,

Given that everything did work and now it doesn't, you are right to suspect that something has "corrupted" your system somehow/somewhere. That something could be very nasty! I would suggest that you should, perhaps, seek professional help to verify that your system is free from infection by malicious code.

regards,

Peter

Given that everything did work and now it doesn't, you are right to suspect that something has "corrupted" your system somehow/somewhere. That something could be very nasty! I would suggest that you should, perhaps, seek professional help to verify that your system is free from infection by malicious code.

I did exactly that already, of course. The system has been thoroughly cleaned by a professional (he found a few spywares, but no virus)

But I figure that removing this spyware may have damaged some other things : hence my questions...

Regards,

Dan

I did exactly that already, of course. The system has been thoroughly cleaned by a professional (he found a few spywares, but no virus)

But I figure that removing this spyware may have damaged some other things : hence my questions...

Regards,

Dan

Dan,

Correct me if I wrong,you wrote:-

"The show I am working on now uses 1920x512 images - and quite a few panoramic pictures, which are even wider.

But this is not the first time I make such a show, and I had no problem with the other"...unquote.

So you are using 1920x512 Images ~ Thats unusual are these 35mm Slides ? because that format is 3.75:1 Ratio

which is a Non-Standard Image-Format. Perhaps you may have made a Posting error.

You also wrote..."But when I try to view the effects on a particular slide, then the sound is completely distorted and

the Slide moves in a jerky way"...

Q? - Can you replicate that problem with any other Slide picked at random ??

The following may help to identify the problem:-

Qa - How many Images are in this New-Slideshow ?

Qb - What is the general size of each Image in pixels (ignore the panorama's)

Qc - Are you using PTE to make the Panorama's ?

Qd - Have you installed any New-Programs since making your last Slideshow ?

Qe - How much 'User Ram Memory' is installed in your XP ?

I ask these questions because the symptoms you describe have all the classic hallmarks of a Memory problem either

its running out of 'User RAM Memory' or you are running out of 'Page File Memory' or a fairly full Hard-Drive as in all

other respects the PC seems to be working correctly but gets into distress with this particular Slideshow.

Spyware would not cause this problem because its a 'Stealth-Program' which runs silently and unobtrusively designed not

to interfer with running Processes...however you may have a damaged Image or Sound File which is a common complaint

appearing here on the Forum from time to time. This is the most likely cause if its not a Memory problem.

Brian (Conflow).

Regards,

Dan

Hello Dan,

Go into Start/Settings/Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs, and remove PTE 6.0 from your system, then reinstall. This should guarantee an uncorrupted program, then try your slide show again.

Colin

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me !

Correct me if I wrong,you wrote:-

"The show I am working on now uses 1920x512 images - and quite a few panoramic pictures, which are even wider.

But this is not the first time I make such a show, and I had no problem with the other"...unquote.

So you are using 1920x512 Images ~ Thats unusual are these 35mm Slides ? because that format is 3.75:1 Ratio

which is a Non-Standard Image-Format. Perhaps you may have made a Posting error.

Well, I use this format because I belong to a Photo Club where we used to make slideshows using 6 projectors : 3 images side by side, overlapping by 25%. We use special masks to even out the transitions : thus, we can project panoramas on a huge 3x8 meter screen. I am trying to obtain the same effect with digital images : the Club just purchased a very powerful HD videoprojector, which we can use on our screen. Of course, we get a black area on top and bottom of the images, but this is not visible, as it falls out of the screen.

You also wrote..."But when I try to view the effects on a particular slide, then the sound is completely distorted and

the Slide moves in a jerky way"...

Q? - Can you replicate that problem with any other Slide picked at random ??

Yes, I get the same result with any slide, animated or not.
Qb - What is the general size of each Image in pixels (ignore the panorama's)
1920x512, but sometimes the background is left black
Qd - Have you installed any New-Programs since making your last Slideshow ?
It seems to me that the problem started when I installed Google Chrome : the first thing I noticed after installing it was the mouse, which became quite sluggish. So, I uninstalled Chrome, and removed all traces of the program. But the problem was still there. I suspected a memory problem, and started to remove all running programs which were not necessary. Then I suspected a hidden malware, so I cleaned the system thoroughly. The mouse now moves normally : I have at least solved that problem.
Qe - How much 'User Ram Memory' is installed in your XP ?
2 Go
I ask these questions because the symptoms you describe have all the classic hallmarks of a Memory problem either

its running out of 'User RAM Memory' or you are running out of 'Page File Memory' or a fairly full Hard-Drive as in all

other respects the PC seems to be working correctly but gets into distress with this particular Slideshow.

Yes, I believe you are right. I will play with the memory allocations.

Thanks !

Dan,

My first take on your issue was a Direct X issue. But you did say 'I did : update all my drivers' ... did that also include re-installing the DirectX 9c version drivers as well ?

Here is the problem : when I preview a show from pte, it goes well, music and all - almost.

Can you be little more descriptive here with almost and what it actually involves.

But when I try to view the effects on a particular slide, then the sound is completely distorted, and the slide moves in a jerky way : it is quite impossible to work on the slide.

Do all your compiled PTE exe slideshows (new & old) play as expected or do they also have the same issue ?

You never did say what model Video Card you are using ?

Adding big pan&scan functions may be beyond the limits of your model Video Card capabilities. Plus also run a complete Direcr X Diagnostic test to assure all is up to par in that department..

As Peter says 'Trying to diagnose this kind of problem when we cannot see what you see is a real challenge' ... then add to it possible spyware/malware removals and what ever registry changes/cleaning that may have resulted.

Can you be little more descriptive here with almost and what it actually involves.

Well, for instance : on the first slide, I wanted a smooth transition - and I get a cut - a jerky cut

Do all your compiled PTE exe slideshows (new & old) play as expected or do they also have the same issue ?

As far as I saw, all compiled shows run OK. The problems shows when I try to edit a slide, any slide.

You never did say what model Video Card you are using ?
RADEON X600 PRO

Thanks for your help...

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your fast reply to my #11 Post and in response,viz:-

Dan your PC-Registry has a few 'orphan' Keys left over after you tried to uninstall Google-Chrome and knowing how

Chrome works, these keys will materially effect the (installed) 'Microsoft Graphics-Engine' in your XP-Oper.System.

You note from the above I said:- "After you tried to uninstall"...and thats the problem. The vast majority of PC users can not

uninstall Google-Chrome because special measures are needed as the 'Microsoft Uninstaller' can not remove Keys it does not

recognise nor can it remove File extensions not recognised, and it can't remove Files implanted into the 'Common Files Folder'

by Google-Chrome.

Google-Chrome tries to emulate an 'Apple-Mac Browser' such as Safari which has 'multiple-search pages' tiled across the PC Screen

as very large Thumbnails where each one is its own Search-Page. To do this Google-Chrome modifies the installed 'MS Graphics-Engine'

which also drives your Graphics-Card through its Drivers. It also modifies the (generic) Browser set-up.

The Microsoft-Uninstaller and the Google Chrome-Uninstaller will not remove all thes artifacts and special File extensions and to make

matters worse you can not invoke a 'System-Restore' job as these artifacts are still left in the registry.

Here below is a PDF Document showing how to remove Google-Chrome completely ~ however you may need the help of a good

PC.Technician to do this ~ then afterwards do a 'System-Restore'

Hope this helps you...

Brian (Conflow)

Remove Google-Chrome.pdf

Hi Brian !

Well... I did not get the file referred to in the document : the link was not active. But I had removed Chrome using CCleaner : most references had probably already been removed. The Google file was still present in the registry, and I removed it as suggested.

But it still does not work...

Now a friend is telling me that my video card has insufficient memory (128 K). It may be true - yet, everything was working fine until a few days ago...

Thanks !

Dan

Dan,

With the possibilities for 2D and 3D animation in PTE versions 5 and 6, having only 128MB (you did mean MB and not KB didn't you?) dedicated memory on the graphics card is a little "light". The minimum recommended is 256MB.

regards,

Peter

With the possibilities for 2D and 3D animation in PTE versions 5 and 6, having only 128MB (you did mean MB and not KB didn't you?) dedicated memory on the graphics card is a little "light". The minimum recommended is 256MB.

Yes, of course, 128 MB...

Yet, it was working fine until a few days ago...

But I have a feeling that something may be wrong with my graphic card : it says that it can reach a definition of only 1280 x 1024 on the first port, and 1920 x 1080 on the second port. Should it not be the same ? It's only one card, with two ports, is it not ? The first port is digital, and the second analogic.

Regards,

Dan

Hi Brian !

Well... I did not get the file referred to in the document : the link was not active. But I had removed Chrome using CCleaner : most references had probably already been removed. The Google file was still present in the registry, and I removed it as suggested.

But it still does not work...

Now a friend is telling me that my video card has insufficient memory (128 K). It may be true - yet, everything was working fine until a few days ago...

Thanks !

Dan

Dan,

You are answering your own question..."You wrote:- everything was working fine until a few days ago"...so given the status quo

of a few days ago did you try to "uninstall" Google-Chrome within the interim period ~ if yes that is your problem !!

The PDF Document I just sent you has all the necessary Instructions within in to completely remove Google-Chrome just save it

and print it out.

By the way 'CCleaner' will not remove all the artifacts left over from Google-Chrome because its 'Auto-Protect Utility'

prevents it from 'overwriting' Registry errors in the XP-Operating System. The only way that can be done is to re-install XP

or return to a previous XP-Restore point as follows:- START-->Programs-->Accesssories-->System Tools-->System Restore.

But this will not work until you get rid of Google-Chrome. Once you get rid of it, now you can start looking for other possible

causes if thats necessary. At the very least you will know your PC is now back to normal because in its current state it is

definitely compromised not only by Google-Chrome 'hogging' your Memory but by its invasive left-overs also.

If you doubt me simply go on the Web and Search for:- "Uninstalling Google-Chrome" but please ignore the 'simple-methods'

shown there, look for the 'Complete Uninstall' procedure because its the only one that works.

Hope this helps...

Brian (Conflow)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Brian !

Sorry if I was late coming back to the topic : I was travelling away from home. I came back last night, and I have already spent quite a few hours on the keyboard...

Thank you for the link to the method for removing Chrome. I went into the registry, and removed all entries... but I could not restore XP to a previous date.

So I still have the problem...

Here is what I get now :

- I do a reset on the computer

- when I start a preview on the last show I am working on, it starts with a smooth transition, as I have planned. The music is good.

- if I try to edit a slide, any slide, in "objects and animation", the sound track is inaudible, and the pointer moves in a jerky way. There is no way I could work on any slide.

- if I then try again to preview the whole show, the music is still good, but the first transition has become a cut.

If anybody has an idea of what may cause that problem...

Thanks !

Dan

Dan,

I'm sorry to hear about your XP ~ personally I don't think there could be much wrong with the PC.

May I suggest rather that going back to a 'Restore-Point' that you initiate a 'Last Known Good Config'.

Before you can get it back to "Last known Good Config" you have to be in "Safe-Mode" and to do that

properly you must absolutely disconnect any/every Internet Connection as well as dropping the

XP-Firewall (simply turn it off after Internet-disconnection).

Attached are 2 Papers in PDF-Format which will explain all:-

(1) Restore to Last Good Config.

(2) XP Repair/from Install.

(3) You could also try the "Tweak-U" utility on the System CD-Disc.

(2) Above is not a complete Re-Install of XP but a partial repair provided you have the System CD-Disc.

It may also be that the PTE-Program has become 'corrupted' with the interaction of Google Chrome which is

always talking to the Net whether we know it or not because we mortals leave the connection always 'Active'.

Dan I hope this helps,

Brian

XP_Restore Sys.pdf

XP_RepairInstall.pdf

Dan,

Following Brian's post above may be your last hope ... but I think its best to first find out some real informaton and details of this problem .pte file and its contents. Lets see if some other users will also experience issues with this same file ... esp those with 128mb cards.

Uploading a complete backup zip (has all the file contents) of this PTE project is best for others to verify and test. Many users use MediaFire site for this purpose. Its also possible to condense the problem slideshow by removing several slides and just saving (save as) the file again with just the known slides that you mostly have issues with so you dont have to reveal or upload the full project backup zip.

If you dont want to upload a complete backup zip with contents ... at least add as an attachment to your forum post a copy of this problem .pte file only for review. Make sure to include some image information about the overall photos used ... pixel size and file size(kb/mb). Especially the photo information on your large pan slides.

You may also want to try the PTE Project Reporter v2 utility program which will easily make a text project report of the problem .pte file which will give us all basic information and details of your pte settings used and its relative image/music properties. Just Save Report List text file and attach the file to your post.

*See the Pte Project Reporter v2 link in my signature bar located at the very bottom of this post.

Final Note:

On WnSoft site there is a PteShow_sources.zip available for download. Test this package on your PC and see if all tests well. Try especially Slide 6 as it contains a large pan scene.

See http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/slideshows.htm and select the Sources link in the Examples.

Dan & Nobeefstu,

Dan that suggested by 'Nobeefstu' is a very good practical suggestion to try and establish some facts

and to that end may I also add the following questions. 'Copy-this' into a New Post and insert answers.

* What version of XP are you using ?

* Has it been upgraded with Sp2 or Sp3 ?

* Are you using the XP-Firewall or another ?

* How much RAM Memory is installed on the XP ?

* What Processor:- Is it a Single-uP or Dual-uP ?

* Your Hard-Drive:- What is it and How Full is it ?

Brian.