WnSoft Forums

PTE engine ?

danmassefrance

Dan,

May I suggest rather that going back to a 'Restore-Point' that you initiate a 'Last Known Good Config'.

Thank you Brian for your suggestions.

I did try the restore procedure - but I must admit I did not follow the instructions given in your very useful documents : I tried to restore directly from the Help screen - and it did not work : XP said that restoring the computer to an earlier state was not possible (I tried several points)...

So, I tried loading the image I keep of Disk C on a separate HD (made with Acronis True Image), but the saved image was too recent, and the defect was already there... So, it did not work either...

but I think its best to first find out some real informaton and details of this problem .pte file and its contents. Lets see if some other users will also experience issues with this same file ... esp those with 128mb cards.

Thank you nobeefstu.

But, as I said, I have the same problem with all my shows, with V 6.0 as well as with 5.6, and with all my slides...

I will certainly have a look at the Project Reporter and at the source files of PTE : I was not aware of the availability of these help files, and I am sure I will get some info from them. Thank you for the info !

* What version of XP are you using ?

* Has it been upgraded with Sp2 or Sp3 ?

* Are you using the XP-Firewall or another ?

* How much RAM Memory is installed on the XP ?

* What Processor:- Is it a Single-uP or Dual-uP ?

* Your Hard-Drive:- What is it and How Full is it ?

* I am using XP SP3

* My computer is protected with Kaspersky. The XP firewall is not activated.

* I have 2 Go RAM memory

* My processor is an Intel Core2 6600 2.4 GHz

* My main HD is a 70 go fast drive (10 000 rpm), less than half full

Thanks again for your help !

Dan

DAN,

Thanks for the fast reply and PC-Data. All looks O.K here ~ good set-up and no reason for the XP-3 to 'goof-up'

However I note one possible problem:- You are using Kaspersky ??

Which version:-

Kaspersky Internet Security or Kaspersky Anti-Virus ~ two different Programs entirely.

The XP-Sp3 Firewall

You have the Firewall turned 'off' ~ not so although it appears to be. Unlike the Sp2-Firewall the Sp3-Firewall

can not be turned-off as it maintains Port-Monitoring Services in the background. When you turn off the PC and

Re-Start, those services are re-started and if you have a Network, the Sp3-Firewall will fully re-activate.

If you are using 'Kaspersky Internet-Security' with inbuilt Firewall you have a Program conflict between it and Sp3.

Please take this from one who knows:- Kaspersky is a good Program but its highly 'intrusive' and it does interfer

with all called commands for the reason that it checks everything you are doing on the Keyboard plus monitoring

all Open-Ports contineously and XP has many Ports. It really does "hog" resources like the older Norton-Programs

and worse still it keeps on growing bigger and bigger.

I would never recommend 'Kaspersky Internet-Security' for any PC handling 'Hi-Dynamic Graphics' like PTE even their

'Anti-Virus Program' is way too heavy for the Graphics work you want to do with your particular PC.

You can also do a PC Self-Check

Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->System Information-->When Window opens-->Select->Software-Enviroment,

Click the +Box-->Select "Windows Error Reporting" this will show all 'Application-Errors' take a ScreenShot.

Whilst in the Error-Reporting Window-->Select-->Tools-->DirectX Diagnostic Tool-->Run all 7 Tools starting with 'System'.

Pay attention to the Display-Tool and and in particular the Group of 3-D Display-Tests. The "spinning-box" should rotate

smoothly after a startup glitch.The "Test" checks out the entire PC-Graphics Systems and its rendering abilities and if

you have Dr.Watson installed it can pin-point any bottlenecks.

Dan, thats about all I can do for you, I hope it helps, and also other Members may have suggestions.

Brian (Conflow)

Thank you very much Brian for your suggestions.

I had no idea Kaspersky could get that much in the way...

I tried all the tests you suggested - no result...

So I decided to take the plunge, and reformat the HD... So far, I have restored only the minimum functions, but I have tried PTE : it works fine ! Which shows that the problem came from a software conflict : no hardware failure.

Now, I have to reinstall all my software... a long process... But I should end up with a brand new config !

Thanks again !

Dan

DAN.

Just to follow up on your enforced 'Reformat' ~ may I suggest the following:-

1)

Make sure you restore the System to XP-Sp2 dont go near Xp3 for the time being.

2)

Either way, whether you have installed Xp2 or Xp3 make absolutely sure you restore

the MS."Firewall" and maintain it active. Don't use a 3rd.party Firewall with XP,its a

receipe for serious 'trouble' ahead.

3)

Also it's has been our experience at Conflow Services that 'Kaspersky Internet-Protection'

makes an absolute mess of Win.2000 and XP-Sp3 particularily on 'Duo-Core uP' Computers.

4)

Stay away from 'Google-Chrome' it does modify the (core) Microsoft VGA-System within a PC.

IE-7 is suitable for XP ~ IE-8 is not suitable. Alternatively use Mozilla 'Firefox' it's good.

5)

May I suggest you use Avast-Anti Virus or Grisoft-AVG ~ both of these products have given

good stable performance for Forum Members well proven over long period's of usage.

Avast-A/V is the lighter of the 2 products best suited for moderate Internet users and where

rendering speed is important whereas Grisoft-AVG is best suited for Internet 'power-users'

using all the Multi-Media utilities available but conversely would be using PC's with larger

Memory resources,ie:- "They are throwing the book at it"...

Finally, if you are missing any resources just drop a 'Note' on the Forum because many of us

have the resources and would be glad to help. None of us welcome an enforced Reformat !

Brian (Conflow).

Thank you so much Brian for your comments and suggestions !

Well, I have already installed SP3... I'll try to live with it...

I started using Firefox, which I had downloaded already - but which I was not using much.

And I will switch to a different A/V... Avast is probably best for my use.

I have translated your last post for the benefit of the members of DiaporamaForum, which I had sollicited as well (but nobody came up with any valid idea...) : your comments will certainly be very useful to other people. I will forward your comments also to the members of our PhotoClub, as the move to digital slideshows is well underway : an order was placed last week for 20 copies of PTE !

Thanks again !

Dan