WnSoft Forums

Escape Key problem when running PTE and Photoshop - SOLVED

Don

When I am running Photoshop CS4 and PTE 6.0 simultaneously, my escape key will not function within PTE. For example, if I click the icon to the right of “Preview” in PTE (to preview my slideshow from the current slide) and later want to end the show by pressing my escape key, nothing happens after pressing it. The escape key, however, does function within Photoshop.

I was having a similar problem with Excel when Photoshop was running. A suggestion from Adobe tech support has resolved that, however. After trying several other fixes, they suggested that I press shift-escape when I want to access the escape function. This works for Excel. I tried it with PTE and it unfortunately does not work. I then tried combinations of various other keys with escape, but none of them worked for PTE.

A solution that I am using now to stop the PTE slideshow preview is this: (1) have Task Manager run in the background, (2) click the Task Manager application icon at the bottom of my screen when I want to end the preview, and (3) click “End Task” with the “Project1” application highlighted. While this does work, it is not exactly elegant.

I am using a Dell PC, 64-bit, 1 TB hard drive, 8 GB RAM, Intel Core i7 CPU which runs at 2.67 GHz. The operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium. My video card is an ATI Radeon HD4670.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Don

Hopefully some other users of CS4 and PTE 6.0 will come to offer their solution. Seems CS4 is trapping the <ESC> key and locking out others use.

For example, if I click the icon to the right of “Preview” in PTE (to preview my slideshow from the current slide)

1- Do you not have the <ESC> key issue when using the Preview button ?

2- Does this only happen when in Objects and Animation panel view or also when in the Slide panel view ?

Try these tests if they work around your issue:

1- Use <F5>+<ESC> key combination to escape from the current slide preview.

2- Minimize CS4 first then use PTE as normal. Minimizing CS4 may hopefully release its trapping of the <ESC>

Also Note:

Try PTE Version 6.0.2 released (January 19, 2010) if you havent already.

Hopefully some other users of CS4 and PTE 6.0 will come to offer their solution. Seems CS4 is trapping the <ESC> key and locking out others use.

1- Do you not have the <ESC> key issue when using the Preview button ?

2- Does this only happen when in Objects and Animation panel view or also when in the Slide panel view ?

Try these tests if they work around your issue:

1- Use <F5>+<ESC> key combination to escape from the current slide preview.

2- Minimize CS4 first then use PTE as normal. Minimizing CS4 may hopefully release its trapping of the <ESC>

Also Note:

Try PTE Version 6.0.2 released (January 19, 2010) if you havent already.

nobeefstu-

You have the magic touch! You solved my problem. I had not updated to 6.0.2. Once I did, the PTE problem went away.

For some background, I was experiencing the problem whether or not I was in O&A. It was present with both Preview and Preview From Current Slide. F5+ESC did not help. Nor did minimizing Photoshop. I'm still experiencing the problem with Excel, but that's not a big deal, as just pressing Shift+ESC resolves that. It's not worth figuring out what's going on there.

Thanks nobeefstu. Nice work.

Don

Don

if your problem is fixed to your satsfaction, would you please add

(SOLVED)

TO THE SUBJECT LINE -- at the end

if you can't do it or have problems say so and one of us moderators will do it for you

thanks

ken

Ken,

The problem was solved to my satisfaction and quickly. This forum provides an excellent service for me and I'm sure others, as well. I thank you all for that. I have found that most of the questions that I come across in my learning have already been asked and answered. Searching and reading the forum, as well as the tutorials, has been key to my learning.

Don