WnSoft Forums

PTE 6.5 hangs when I want to add Music [SOLVED]

Guest adri

I became aware yesterday of the release of 6.5 and installed and was excited about the new audio editing function that we had been waiting for.

I am aware that one should not try and continue with projects started in older versions but rather start fresh if possible.

I create a new project, save it with a new name as a 6.5 project, can insert images, do any of the transitions, but when I get to the music tab, my frustration begins.

I select 'add music' and it lets me browse for an audio file (wav/MP3/MP4) click open and then PTE hangs.

Alternatively, when I first select Add Track, it does so and then also hangs, unable to then get to Add Music.

I had installed the new version yesterday and it imported settings from 6.0 during installation.

What next?

Roel

Roel

Over the last months and especially in the past few days I have been using PTE 6.5 extensively and I have not had any of the issues you describe. I also think I am right in saying that most of the other regulars here havn't either. That tends to suggest that whatever is causing the issue is on your PC.

Why not try a new Mp3 grab from one of your CD's. Windows Media Player will do that for you and then see if it will select that new track.

Its a place to start

... it lets me browse for an audio file (wav/MP3/MP4)...

Roel,

I believe I am right in saying that PTE does not support MP4 files as part of its soundtrack - only WAV,MP3,OGG. Ensure that you choose only one of these three types. Also, were you adding the music via Project Options|Music or via Customize Slide or via Add Sound icon?

regards,

Peter

Roel,

I am aware that one should not try and continue with projects started in older versions but rather start fresh if possible.

You can load and use previously created projects with a new version. It's a base feature of PicturesToExe.

Please let me know more details on the issue you've discovered:

1) What version of Windows is installed on your PC?

2) Do you mean that the program hungs/freezes when you just click "Add track"?

3) Please create a sample project in previous version 6.0 with a couple of slides and one MP3 audio file for the background music. Now try to load this project in new version 6.5 and open Project options window on Music tab. Will the program hungs?

Thanks in advance,

Igor/Dave,

Having done some investigation, I think it possible that he is trying to add the music via Customise slide but has not ticked the "Play new background music..." box. Until this is ticked you cannot add music to a slide in this way. But he would probably be better off using the Project Options|Music route anyway.

regards,

Peter

P.S. And if "he" is a "she" I apologise for my gender-biased phrasing.

Thanks for the responses.

Peter it is interesting that I log on with my details and yet Adr's name appears; but no sweat!

Igor, I am using Vista Home Premium 6.0 build 6002 Service Pack 2.

The test project created with 6.0 runs as expected the same in 6.5.

It is only when I start with changes on the Project options - Music tab that PTE freezes.

I have mad notes of each of my steps until it happens and included the screenshots in the attachment.

thanks

Roel

for Roel and Adri

Roel,

I'd like to specify certain points:

1) Did you try add music in Project options or in the properties of a particular slide?

2) The freezing happens right after you open Project options window and click "Add track" button before you then click "Add music" button? It's a very important point which will help me better understand what happens in the program.

3) What exactly happens after you clicked "Add music" button? Do you see an appeared window to browse audio files? The freezing happens after you've choosed one or more audio files and pressed Open button?

Thanks

here is the missing attachment (Excel 560kb)

but no, I am told: Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

From Igor:

1) Did you try add music in Project options or in the properties of a particular slide? First one Project Options Music tab

2) The freezing happens right after you open Project options window and click "Add track" button before you then click "Add music" button? It's a very important point which will help me better understand what happens in the program.

Track is added Ok, then Add Music appears to look OK as it opens explorer window; then select the track (all in same folder, valid type) explorer window closes and then there is no further action on PTE. I noticed that Track2 was highlighted automatically even before I clicked on add music. Deselecting before I add music has exacttly the same result.

3) What exactly happens after you clicked "Add music" button? Do you see an appeared window to browse audio files? The freezing happens after you've choosed one or more audio files and pressed Open button? Correct

Peter,

(Thinking out loud).

When you click on ADD MUSIC in music tab it has to ADD a TRACK before adding music to it but this step is not seen until the music is added.

Normally, you can add a track and then add music to it OR add music and the track is added in't' background.

Seems to me that the problem, in this case, is the "Add a Track" step.

Perhaps Igor can come up with something?

DG

Dave,

I've just studied Roel's screengrabs and tried to reproduce the problem - and can't.

Roel,

If all you want is two pieces of music palying one after the other you do not need a second track. In fact the second track will simply get in the way. The two tracks play in parallel - at the same time. What you want to do, I suspect, is to add a second piece of music to the first track. But, of course, this also may give you the problem.

regards,

Peter

All I wanted to do is to see the new audio features of 6.5 which as I understand would allow some audio editing as well as playing to different audio tracks simultaneously.

My current workflow has always been to do all audio editing in Wavepad and it would be nice to do it all in PTE

Roel

...Dodgy wma?

I guess that is a possibility. But my tests have proven that WMA is a supported file format (which I didn't know!), so if it is corrupted in some way, it's having a very strange effect. Definitely one to leave to Igor and the Wizards of WnSoft to resolve.

I'm out of this one.

regards,

Peter

Roel,

Thanks for the screenshots!

1) Please download this special test application:

http://www.wnsoft.com/test/OpenDialog_Test.zip (350 KB)

Run it, click a buttonm, choose those audio files. Will it freeze?

2) Did you try to add MP3 audio files instead of WMA? Probably the problem caused by particular WMA audio files?

3) If it possible, please send me a sample WMA audio file which caused hungs in PicturesToExe.

Roel,

Thanks for the screenshots!

1) Please download this special test application:

http://www.wnsoft.com/test/OpenDialog_Test.zip (350 KB)

Run it, click a buttonm, choose those audio files. Will it freeze?

2) Did you try to add MP3 audio files instead of WMA? Probably the problem caused by particular WMA audio files?

3) If it possible, please send me a sample WMA audio file which caused hungs in PicturesToExe.

Tried all, even deleting the entire project and starting fresh, using different audio files, all with the same result.

Cleaned out my computer, uninstalled the most recent other program installation, tried once more, but still the same results of PTE freezing the moment I want to add music.

Then Eureka!

I uninstalled 6.5 and re-installed it and all is now working as it should. (I think)

The new audio functions appear great to still explore. Why can't every audio component screen stay visible when you do a run of the sequence?

regards

Roel

Roel,

Please let me know - did you try to run the special test program I've prepared for you?

The true reason of this problem still unknown for me - the described behaviour says that it was a Windows Vista's bug.

I did but I did not find it of any help since it did not record all the steps and when PTE froze it gave no information at all.

• 9 months later...
Guest adri

Dear Igor

I must first admit that I have not been very productive and therefore could not know that the same problem would rear its head again.

After I had reinstalled 6.5 after my last error reporting, the program worked fine and I could complete the task I was busy with.

Last month I ran into the same issue again. I then reverted back to 6.0 and could then also complete the AV.

I now started a new one in 6.5 and again it hangs only when I am adding music. Last night I reverted to the old medicine of removing and reinstalluing and voila all seemed fine again.

To day I wanted to do changes to the synchronistaion; no problem, but then when I decide to "Add Music", PTE 6.5 hangs again.

I attach the screendumps of the Windows error report and the numbers may mean something to you. All I can see is that it is exactly the same error as before the reinstallation.

Your help would be appreciated.

Adri is using the same software on her XP machine and there it runs without a hitch.

thanks

Roel

PTE 6.5 Hang error again.zip