WnSoft Forums

Bug or not?

davegee

Here's the scenario:

I'm working on the current last slide in my sequence (V6.5). Slide time 6 seconds, transition time 1.5 seconds.

I add a keyframe and place it at 6000ms and adjust my PZR. (At this 6000ms point there is no incoming transition).

I then exit O&A and add another slide.

Going back into O&A and moving to the now penultimate slide the keyframe which I placed at 6000ms has jumped to 7500ms (the end of the incoming transition).

If I correct the placement of the last keyframe of the penultimate slide and then delete the last slide obviously the last keyframe stays at 6000ms. Adding another new slide will not reproduce the problem described above i.e. it stays at 6000ms (the start of the incoming transition).

I can't make up my mind whether it should do this or not?

DG

Dave,

As I suspect you are already aware, there are four points in time associated with each slide that are, in my phraseology, "magnetic keypoints". By this I mean that, when you are in the O&A window and click just below the timeline and in the close vicinity of one of these points, PTE "snaps to" the relevant "magnetic keypoint". The four points are:

- Start of slide (= start of transition into this slide)

- End of transition into this slide

- Start of transition out of this slide

- End of slide (= end of transition out of this slide)

Obviously, when there is no following slide the last two are identical. It would appear, from what you have found, that PTE first chooses "End of slide" to snap-to. You then add another slide with an in-bound transition and PTE moves the keyframe to retain its "End of slide" position. That, to me, is acceptable behaviour (although it may not be what we might want in a particular situation).

What is less acceptable is that, after you delete the last slide and then add a new, different last slide, PTE does not behave in a consistent manner. The act of deleting the last slide would seem to have caused the keyframe to now be associated with "Start of transition out".

I would agree that something ain't quite right here. But I cannot say which behaviour is the right one and which is the wrong one.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm not sure that we are talking in the same terminology?

After adding a new slide the previously inserted "end of slide" keypoint(s) jump(s) to the end of the in-bound transition - from 6000ms to 7600ms - that's "end of in-bound transition" and not "end of slide".

Does that change your perception of what I'm getting?

I doesn't seem right, although if I change my way of working to always have a "last slide" beyond the one I'm working on I'll be OK.

The other point is that if, as you know is possible, there are a multitude of "end of slide" keyframes it's a lot of work to "repair".

"End of slide" is " end of slide" and not "end of in-bound transition" even if they are, in that unique situation, at the same point.

DG

We're just using different phrases for the same thing.

Consider a sequence with just two slides both with a 6 second duration and a transition of 1 second. My definitions would work out as follows:

Slide 1 - Start of Slide (= start of in-bound transition) = 0 seconds

Slide 1 - End of in-bound transition = +1 second

Slide 1 - Start of out-bound transition = +6 seconds

Slide 1 - End of slide (= end of out-bound transition) = +7 seconds

Slide 2 - Start of Slide (= start of in-bound transition) = +6 seconds

Slide 2 - End of in-bound transition = +7 seconds

Slide 2 - Start of out-bound transition = +12 seconds

Slide 2 - End of slide (= end of out-bound transition) = +12 seconds - because there is no following slide

If I am thinking about slide x then in-bound is the transition from slide x-1 to slide x and out-bound is the transition from slide x to slide x+1.

Clear as mud?

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I think that we differ in the way we look at transitions.

Slide one transition is at the beginning of slide one.

Slide two transition is at the beginning of slide two.

The grey portion at the end of the timeline is, to me, the in-bound transition associated with slide two.

Therefore to my way of thinking slide one's "end of slide" is the beginning of slide two's in-bound transition.

If each of my slides is set to 6 seconds duration with a 1500ms transition then the "end of slide" is at 6 seconds - not 7.5 seconds.

So when I place a keyframe at the "end of slide" where there is no following slide the keyframes position should be anchored to the 6 second "end of slide".

When another slide is added what is actually happening is that the "end of slide" keyframe is being thrown forward to the "end of incoming transition" position - not what I had intended.

I can live with it but it doesn't seem right and I think that eventually someone else is going to get caught out. The effect it gives is that the PZR which was intended to end at 6 seconds carries on into the next transition - messy.

DG

...If each of my slides is set to 6 seconds duration with a 1500ms transition then the "end of slide" is at 6 seconds - not 7.5 seconds...

Dave,

But each slide is partly visible after the 6 second mark. Strictly speaking (i.e. in terms of computer logic rather than human logic) it is partly visible right up to the end of the transition into the following slide. In reality it is partly visible to the human eye for at least 50% of the transition time.

But I agree, if you assign a keyframe to the end of the last slide then, when you add a following slide, that keyframe should stay where you put it.

regards,

Peter