WnSoft Forums

sound at a specific point

trailertrash

OK, I want a specific sound [not the main track] to happen at a specific point in the sequence.

I have used the add sound feature [top right] but there is no offset in that menu.

The sound is 0.772 in length and I want it to go at 5.103 secs into the slide that I have added it to which is 30.103 secs into the full sequence.. [Hope I'm explaining this right]

For the life of me I cant get it right. I've also tried to create a full track in audacity with the sound at the appropiate place but that didnt work out right either.

If I use the add track in the main sound menu it doesnt seem to want to play till the main one is finished. So for the minute I'm kinda stumped!!!!

Any help please?

Andrew

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Andrew, can't understand why you can't do it in audacity. If you expand the timelines in PTE & Audacity, you can a) split the slide time so it fills the screen, select the 10th or 20th point you want the sound to happen say 4 & 7/10ths trasfer the time to Audacity say 3m 4 & 7/10's add the clip & bobs you uncle, I think. Just thinking about it it may be decimals not fractions. If you still don't get it I'll post a couple of screen shots to illustrate. (Maybe late afternoon. I've got a star fighter to finish.) :ph34r:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Andrew

When you add music in Project options it comes up listed under track 1. If you add another piece of music to track 1 they will play one after the other.

So, if you add your music in this way it will show under track one. Then add a second track and the sound effect to that second track. Now they will play simultaneously and you will have the offset to position the sound effect where you want it.

Use the wave form and envelop tool on the first track to reduce the volume while the sound effect is playing, if necessary

Hi Andrew, can't understand why you can't do it in audacity. If you expand the timelines in PTE & Audacity, you can a) split the slide time so it fills the screen, select the 10th or 20th point you want the sound to happen say 4 & 7/10ths trasfer the time to Audacity say 3m 4 & 7/10's add the clip & bobs you uncle, I think. Just thinking about it it may be decimals not fractions. If you still don't get it I'll post a couple of screen shots to illustrate. (Maybe late afternoon. I've got a star fighter to finish.) :ph34r:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Eric, I appreciate the help, but thats a wee bit beyond my level right now. :lol: I wish I had you guy's experience.

Andrew

Andrew

When you add music in Project options it comes up listed under track 1. If you add another piece of music to track 1 they will play one after the other.

So, if you add your music in this way it will show under track one. Then add a second track and the sound effect to that second track. Now they will play simultaneously and you will have the offset to position the sound effect where you want it.

Use the wave form and envelop tool on the first track to reduce the volume while the sound effect is playing, if necessary

Barry, If I understand this right...I can add two pieces of music to One track and they will play simultaneously[sp]

then if I add another track it will follow on from the end of track one with its two tracks. Wow, I didnt know that could be done.

Question: Something I noticed when I was dueling with this...if I add a sound via add sound and change the start point in the wee box that comes up, the duration reverts to 0:00:000

Should that happen?

Andrew

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Andrew

I've finished work on the starfighter for the day, so I have a few minutes before I lapse into unconciousness.

I've attached two screen shots from my latest 303 show. The first shows the PTE view of the timeline with a sound effect (scream) added at 2 min 50 seconds. I am using a PTE version prior to the sound manipulation so the timeline is for that version. You can just see the mark on the waveform at 2.50 & between 2.50 & 2.51 there are a number of graduations 50.1 etc etc.

The next SS is the sound track using Audacity 12 I think, using that and expanding the view zoom zoom etc I can accurately position the scream to within a tenth of a second or even closer if I wish, however I doubt if my 70 year old ears would detect the difference. I just then ensure the slide appears at the time of the scream, in other words both times are identical, taking fades & transitions into account.

Hope that helps. I don't use the PTE sound editing as I'm happy with Audacity, for the same reason I don't use PSG because I'm happy with PTE.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

post-5560-077534400 1286203075_thumb.jpg

post-5560-072620400 1286203097_thumb.jpg

Barry, If I understand this right...I can add two pieces of music to One track and they will play simultaneously

No, you have it round the wrong way they will play consecutively one after the other

then if I add another track it will follow on from the end of track one with its two tracks. NO, if you add two bits of sound to 1 track the two tracks will play consecutively and you will then have offset available on both ( see screen grabs)

Wow, I didnt know that could be done.

Question: Something I noticed when I was dueling with this...if I add a sound via add sound and change the start point in the wee box that comes up, the duration reverts to 0:00:000

Should that happen?

Yes