Latest versions don't work on my computer

kgash

I have a PC desktop with the following configuration:

MS Vista Ultimate, SP2

4 GB Ram

Intel Core2 Duo processor E7300, 2.67 GH

nVidia GeForce 7300SE/7200GS with G72 3d Accelerator

Dual monitors, Acer AL2216W and Viewsonic VP 191b

My problem is that any version of PTE higher than 5.5 does not work. I have 5.6, 6.02 and 6.5.

When I choose a set of images and hit Preview, the computer hangs. When I hit Create, an exe file is created and saved.

It does not run - gives a black screen and I have to use the Task Manager to exit.

I also have dual boot on the computer so I went into XP and tried it there with essentially the same results.

The exe files created DO work on another PC just fine.

I therefore believe that my problem is related to my video system in some way and hope someone out there has

a clue or two for me.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Ken,

Please download and run this slideshow:

http://www.wnsoft.com/test/TestSlideshow.zip (2 MB)

Will it play on your PC with Windows Vista?

Thanks for your responses.

I have tried making small slide shows with small pic files. The TestSlideshow does not work on my PC. I tried it with only one monitor activated and it simply locked the screen.

Ken,

Thanks,

1) So you observe same problem (freezing) under both systems - Windows Vista and Windows XP?

2) Do you use "Aero" theme in Windows Vista? (new graphical user interface with semi-transparent border and caption of windows).

If problem comes even under Windows XP, probably the problem can be related with video card.

Versions 5.0-5.5 used DirectX 8.1. Since version 5.6 and later we use DirectX 9.0

Ken,

Thanks,

1) So you observe same problem (freezing) under both systems - Windows Vista and Windows XP?

2) Do you use "Aero" theme in Windows Vista? (new graphical user interface with semi-transparent border and caption of windows).

If problem comes even under Windows XP, probably the problem can be related with video card.

Versions 5.0-5.5 used DirectX 8.1. Since version 5.6 and later we use DirectX 9.0

Well, I disabled Aero and it didn't help. According to my specs, I am running DirectX 11. I also did a comprehensive virus and malware scan.

My video card runs HD .mov files without a stutter using several different media players so I am really puzzled why these .exe files (that run great on a 5 year old XP PC) won't run on my relatively new Vista machine. I will look for updated drivers for my video card.

Ken

I just checked the colors setting on my monitors and changed it from Highest (32 bit) to Medium (16 bit) and now the files seem to run correctly. I don't know why this should be the case as all other video applications worked fine at the 32 bit setting.

Thanks for all your help.

Ken

Ken,

I just checked the colors setting on my monitors and changed it from Highest (32 bit) to Medium (16 bit) and now the files seem to run correctly. I don't know why this should be the case as all other video applications worked fine at the 32 bit setting.

Thanks for all your help.

Ken

You should run in Highest (32 bit) and not Medium (16 bit) color setting.

A few questions and tests:

1- What Screen Resolution(s) are you currently using for the Acer 22 and Viewsonic 19 monitors ?

2- Are the screen resolutions nominal/default or have you increased them to a higher resolution ?

3- Does lowering your Screen Resolution(s) have any effect ?

4- Does changing your Video Card setting using Performance vs Quality have any effect ?

5- Does your Video Card output to Analog or Digital to your monitors ?

*The nVidia GeForce 7300SE/7200GS GPU is considered a entry level unit. If you push it too hard with too high of settings or demands it will show its weakness. Vista will put higher demands than XP because if certain desktop features are enabled.

GeForce 7 Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_7_Series

Problem solved.

Thanks to all of you who have provided excellent suggestions and help. As it turns out, the video card driver was the culprit. It may have been corrupted or something because when I located and downloaded an updated driver, the problem disappeared. I am now looking for a higher level video card that is more capable of handling the demands of the program.

As I progress into creating more and more complex slide shows, I know that I will have some questions and I know that the members of this forum will be able to give me quick, courteous and appropriate assistance. Thank you.

Ken Gash