WnSoft Forums

PTE 6.5 as non-administrator (hang...)

Narbé

Hello,

I have a problem with PTE 6.5, under Windows XP (not tested with other Windows versions) : with previous versions of PTE, to run it as non-administrator, I modified access rights for the installation directory (all access for all users). It works nice like that.

But, with PTE 6.5, I can run it, but as soon as I try to add a sound, it hangs !

It hangs also if I try to access sound properties from a project created with a previous version.

Any idea ? Which ressource is concerned and must be unprotected ?

Thanks in advance,

Narbe,

Not enough information about your PC-System ~ Members would need the following data to answer you:-

* Type of PC...Windows or Mac ?

* Operating System: Mac ? - Win-Xp - Vista - Windows-7 ?

* Processor Type: Single-Core, Dual-Core, Quad-Core ?

* Size of User-Memory RAM ?

There are some problems with Vista & Windows7 and these are not connected with Admin nor User privilages.

Brian (Conflow)

* Type of PC...Windows or Mac ?

I said "under Windows XP"... so, a PC under Windows... :)

* Operating System: Mac ? - Win-Xp - Vista - Windows-7 ?

I said "under Windows XP"... :)

I forgot : 32bits

* Processor Type: Single-Core, Dual-Core, Quad-Core ?

Intel dual-core P8400 2.26Ghz

* Size of User-Memory RAM ?

4Go (3.48 used by Windows 32bits)

It is a problem about admin privileges, if I run PTE 6.5 from a non-admin account, but with (right clic) "execute as..." an admin account, it works fine.

But no error message, it hangs ! No other solution than kill it from task admin panel.

(I want to execute PTE from no admin account, because planning a course in a club, and the PCs which will be used in a public teaching room are secured and have no access to admin account).

Best regards,

OK, just find the problem... I will reply to myself...

The problem is that some writables files are located in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\PicturesToExe\...", and this tree (or inside files) is not writable without admin privileges.

I think these kind of ressources (writables and user's ones) should be in the "Application Data" directory of the user profile, not "All Users".

Bernard

Bernard,

From your number of Posts seen here on the Forum I assume you are a new Pte user and perhaps the

following hints and tips may help you on your way....

Thats good news where you resolved your problem and that it was a 'mix-up' in Admin permissions.

In the past you must have saved some (original-materials) 'Project-Files' in different locations.

By project-Files I mean original Images, Music, and the Pte.dat file and Exe.File.

Its an de-facto rule with PTE.Forum Members to place ALL Pte-Project Files into one single Folder

and that Folder is best placed directly on the Hard-Drive. You can leave the original 'Source-Materials'

elsewhere but copy these materials into the (current) PTE.Project Folder and give that a 'Project-Name'.

This makes things very simple because (full) User-privilages can be attributed to anyone including Admin.

Concerning the 'Administrator' this means nothing to the PC except having your Name/Title on a Billboard

thus creating a new Admin-Account which for a 'single owner user' is superfluous to machine requirements.

Better by far to leave the Admin-Acc as the original OEMPC-Acc and give full permissions to "User" with a

unique Log-in Code. This means less load on the PC and should you wish to Sell/Trade the PC there is no

awkard 'Registered-Owner' as Administrator coming up every time the new owner wishes to use his new PC.

Also you can delete your 'User-account' and all personal details without effecting the integrity of the PC.

Should you ever crash the User-Acc. you can open the OEMPC-Acc and create a new-user and delete the old.

Best of luck with your Pte.Projects.

Brian (Conflow)

In the next version, we will keep the program settings in Application Data of current user. This will solve this issue.

But you can modify any existing version from 5.0 to 6.5 to allow work under limited user account.

Browse folder:

C:\Program Files\WnSoft PicturesToExe\6.5\

Find the next file:

UninstallCfg1.ini

Set other folders:

Config=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\PicturesToExe\Versions\6.5

ConfigCommon=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\PicturesToExe

Save file.

Restart PicturesToExe.

This issue is completely resolved in the next version 7.0. I just completed all required changes.

It will allow two or more users work with independent settings of PicturesToExe under one computer.

Peter,

Also this new version solves the issue with import of settings from previous versions if you're using Windows 7 64-bit.