WnSoft Forums

No Sound in Preview Mode

bill mccloskey

However when I try the full screen preview, I get no sound whatsoever.

Another major point to consider ... where did you add your music file ?

There are three different possibilities :

1- Project Options - Music (position starts background music at start of slideshow)

2- Customize Slide - Music (position starts background music at current slide #)

3- Add Sound (position starts additional sound/music at current slide #)

* seeing that you are a new member ... reading the PTE User Guide a little more would explain the various music functions in better detail.

http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/help.htm

or click Help on the program menu bar

Ken and Nobeefstu

Bill called me at home with his problem before he posted. This is his 2nd or 3rd PTE show he has done.

The file was originally a MP4, which he converted to an MP3. He had worked the file in audacity several times and it always worked in the main window of PTE, but not in the PREVIEW or when CREATED AS an exe. (I thought maybe the originating as an MP4 might be an issue, but it did play in PREVIEW.

He added it via PROJECT OPTIONS, and then tried ADD SOUND at the top.

I suggested a few things:

- re-boot the computer after turning it off and flicking the switch on the back of it to OFF for 30 seconds.

- try another file (I should have suggested one that worked in another show)

- convert it to a WAV and see what happens.

I have not heard back from him whether any of those worked.

I know have had issues with sound files which we accidentally created as 22,000mhz(Or whatever the term is) but they always played back in all modes, but just did not synch correctly)

Any other thoughts you might have will be welcome

Thanks for the suggestions (and, as a matter of interest, before posting I had spent several hours reading the manual, consulting the Forums etc. to try to find a solution). Jim and I had a further discussion this morning and the problem I've encountered and what I've done to try to fix it (to no avail) is:

I rebooted as Jim had suggested to me, re-installed the program, converted the music to a WAV file and still have the same problem. The small preview button (the one that starts the preview from where the cursor is) starts the sound from the beginning of the show, even though the photos start from where the cursor is. When I use the large preview button that starts the show from the beginning, the show starts correctly with music, but when it reaches slide 32 the music cuts out. I deleted the music and imported another piece of music but got the same result: the music starts from the beginning with the small preview button; and the show starts correctly with music from the beginning with the large preview button until it reaches slide 32 and then the music cuts out. If I go into the customize slide interface at slide 32 the settings are no different than they are for the preceding settings so I’m not sure what is going on. I've forwarded the show and music to Igor as he requested.

Hello Bill,

Thanks for sending project files to me!

Yes, I see the described issues.

1. The MP3 file has a 25 seconds of silence at beginning of audio file. Alternate audio player (WinAmp) confirms this.

2. The show hasn't "Synchronize music and slides" option (Project options | Main tab). When it *turned off*, the music always starts from beginning even if you start show from 2nd, 10th, or 20th slide. I recommend activate this option.

3. Slide No. 32 has personal audio playlist. When show reaches this slide the audio file replaces the main background music and starts this new audio file. In this case it's same MP3 audioo file with long silence. Just remove this custom playlist from a slide. Call "Slide properties" window for 32nd slide, choose "Music" tab and remove audio file.

I hope it will help.

Thanks Igor for your help. In response:

1. The 25 seconds of silence at the begining is deliberate.

2. However, if I turn on the "Synchronize music and slides" option in the main tab (which I had tried earlier), I get a message "When you use 'Sychronize music and slides' option, you cannot use personal playlists of slides" and nothing happens when I try the "toast" button or the preview button, unless I turn it off again.

3. I apologize but I don't know what you mean by the "slide properties" window. I don't have such a window, either in the main interface or in the pulldown list under "Slide" at the top left of the screen. In any event, I had already removed the audio file for slide 32 using the project options interface and it doesn't show either there or under the "add sound" button at the top right of the screen. Perhaps I hadn't done this in the version I sent you but, irrespective of this, I still have the same problem: no sound after slide 32 when I run it full screen and no sound at all when I hit the "toast' button.

This may be a stupid question, but perhaps my download was corrupted and I need to do a new download? (This is only my second AV show and the earlier one where I had no problem was done on an earlier version of PTE)

Bill M,

2. However, if I turn on the "Synchronize music and slides" option in the main tab (which I had tried earlier), I get a message "When you use 'Sychronize music and slides' option, you cannot use personal playlists of slides" and nothing happens when I try the "toast" button or the preview button, unless I turn it off again.

This indicates you have both Project Options - Music and Customize Slide - Music enabled entries. Its not possible to have "Synchronize music and slides" with Customize Slide - Music enabled entries. To fix the issue ... remove any music entries in Customize Slide - Music and verify the checkbox is not enabled. The settings are only valid for the single selected slide #. ( Make sure you still have music entries in your Project Options - Music )

3. I apologize but I don't know what you mean by the "slide properties" window. I don't have such a window, either in the main interface or in the pulldown list under "Slide" at the top left of the screen. In any event, I had already removed the audio file for slide 32 using the project options interface and it doesn't show either there or under the "add sound" button at the top right of the screen. Perhaps I hadn't done this in the version I sent you but, irrespective of this, I still have the same problem: no sound after slide 32 when I run it full screen and no sound at all when I hit the "toast' button.

The "slide properties" window is just another term used for the Customize Slide window. Click Customize Slide button to view the "slide properties" available tabs of the selected slide #.

May I ask what are your music playback intentions/objective for the slideshow ?

Okay, it seems that Bill, a newcomer has made some mistakes with his sound files. But let us be honest: We should not blame him! The truth is that the present audio concept of PTE has to be regarded as chaotic: Overall background music for the show in synchronized and non-synchronized form in the project options, background music for particular slides in the customize slide window; furthermore, sound comments in the main window - three different locations in the program where to make sound settings.

Let us hope that v7 will stop this chaos and that it will give us a major improvement.

Regards,

Xaver

Guest Yachtsman1

Okay, it seems that Bill, a newcomer has made some mistakes with his sound files. But let us be honest: We should not blame him! The truth is that the present audio concept of PTE has to be regarded as chaotic: Overall background music for the show in synchronized and non-synchronized form in the project options, background music for particular slides in the customize slide window; furthermore, sound comments in the main window - three different locations in the program where to make sound settings.

Let us hope that v7 will stop this chaos and that it will gives us a major improvement.

Regards,

Xaver

Very fickle Xaver, it is only 5 days ago you critisized me for sticking with the version prior to sound manipulation.??? B)

Yachtsman1.

The improvements to the SOUND handling in V6.5 are a major step forward.

It's their IMPLEMENTATION and the "interlocking" of the various ways of adding sound that is giving cause for concern.

Beta Testing is finding loopholes in implementation and these will, in the fullness of time, be addressed OR users will know that mixing methods WILL NOT WORK.

Without Beta Testing PTE will not move forward.

DG

Very fickle Xaver, it is only 5 days ago you critisized me for sticking with the version prior to sound manipulation.??? B)

Sorry Eric, you must have misinterpreted my remark. Of course, you have the very right to use any version that you like :rolleyes:

Regards,

Xaver