WnSoft Forums

Audio discrepancy

Laszlo K

Hi All.

One of the people that I teach the workings of PTE had some issues with audio and I had some problem trouble shooting thorough the phone.

Well yesterday I was working on e 3 minutes piece with 3 audio files. All were in .wav format.

When I was importing the third one I got a warning ( attached ) that I have never seen before.

After several different approaches I came to the conclusion that there was something wrong with the file itself.

I have tested with Win Media Player, Soundforge, Audacity, and Pinnacle Studio 14. All would play it without a glitch, except PTE.

I realized that the file was given to me by my son in MP3 format and I converted it to .WAV with "AVS audio file converter".

Than I imported the same music in MP3 format and was all running OK.

I also converted the same file in Soundforge,( from MP3 to WAV) and the file was playing fine in PTE.

So my problem was solved but this note is to warn others with converted files to see if they work well for your need.

"AVS for you" might work for lots conversion but but here is an issue with it.

Laszlo

post-6772-028500500 1291241593_thumb.jpg

post-6772-071011100 1291241624_thumb.jpg

I found MP3 is like JPEG's. When you work within editing environment you have to save and reopen a number of times. MP3 is being compressed and you will end up with clipping and or audio artifacts (screech) because of re-compression. Is like converting JPEG to TIFF for major manipulation. You don't want to loose more than what is lost already.

For PTE I have been using only WAV files going back to the V4... series. I don't even keep MP3's on my computer.

Mi note was just to draw attention to the particular converter program indicated. While it works well, the WAV files produced by it will not work with PTE.

I'm sure there are more like this one

Laszlo

This problem happens because PicturesToExe supports WAV audio files which have sample size as 16-bit (standard value for all Audio CD discs). We plan add a support of these WAV files (32 bit and 24 bit) in the next version of PicturesToExe.

I recommend you convert again MP3 to WAV setting 16 bit sample size.

For some reason AVS Audio Converter converts audio files to WAV ignoring source values of sample size and sample rate and suggests 48 KHz and 32-bit by default. It better use original values from source files. All Audio CD has 44 KHz sample rate and 16 bit sample size.

But if you have original file in MP3, I don't recommend convert this file to WAV.