WnSoft Forums

Visons of Snowbasin

LumenLux

Hey,

Good one Robert - (Grandpa) beats the heck out of "shoveling snow" now doesn't it! Great shots of the youngsters. Looks like they were really enjoying themselves. You should have handed one of them the camera on the slopes to catch a few frames of you in the powder!! Really nice shots of a beautiful place. I really liked the ending frame too!!

Best regards,

Lin

As a skier, I very much enjoyed this show. I have skied a lot of the Utah areas but I'd never heard of this one. I was impressed by the luxury of the dining room where you were photographed. Doesn't look like the typical ski area cafeteria. I assume it's an upscale restaurant or a private club? You've got me thinking about putting together a show of some of my Colorado ski trips. Thanks for sharing.

Hey,

Good one Robert - (Grandpa) beats the heck out of "shoveling snow" now doesn't it! Great shots of the youngsters. Looks like they were really enjoying themselves. You should have handed one of them the camera on the slopes to catch a few frames of you in the powder!! Really nice shots of a beautiful place. I really liked the ending frame too!!

Best regards,

Lin

Regarding "shoveling snow", I concede! And it is strictly coincidence that the only pic of me is in the lodge. I was never a great skier, and I now am much less aggressive. At this stage of life, my legs only need to keep up with my shutter finger, instead of the whiz kids. But next time you are over this way, I'd accept a powder lesson from you. :)

Hey Robert,

About the legs keeping up with the shutter finger - I could name that tune! Me trying to give you a "powder lesson" would be like the blind leading the lame - LOL. Downhill skiing to me would be trying to stay alive by frequenting only the "bunny slopes" - the thought of straddling a tree at my age puts the fear of meeting my maker sooner rather than later into sharp relief! I'll stick to the slow cross-country where I can stop to rest - er, "ponder the wonders of nature" at frequent intervals and leave the downhill to the youngsters who have the requisite energy and aptitude. HA! Actually, most of my time in the deep powder and high country is spent on my old trusty Vermont Tubbs snowshoes these days.

Best regards,

Lin

Regarding "shoveling snow", I concede! And it is strictly coincidence that the only pic of me is in the lodge. I was never a great skier, and I now am much less aggressive. At this stage of life, my legs only need to keep up with my shutter finger, instead of the whiz kids. But next time you are over this way, I'd accept a powder lesson from you. :)

As a skier, I very much enjoyed this show. I have skied a lot of the Utah areas but I'd never heard of this one. I was impressed by the luxury of the dining room where you were photographed. Doesn't look like the typical ski area cafeteria. I assume it's an upscale restaurant or a private club? You've got me thinking about putting together a show of some of my Colorado ski trips. Thanks for sharing.

Glad you enjoyed the view Mary. Snowbasin ski area has been around as long as I have, yet I've only skied it twice. Alta is about 20 minutes from home, Snowbasin about an hour. Snowbasin was always a "secret" or a "sleeper" until recently. Today Snowbasin is owned by Earl Holding, who also owns the Grand America hotel in Salt Lake City. This accounts for the "glamor" flavor of the public lodging and restaurant, where the photo was taken. In the same structure there is a fancier, more expensive (presumed), restaurant intended for lodge guests who want to take time to make dinner a full event itself. Earl Holding had purchased the resort some years ago and was able to wheel and deal and improve it and position it as a site for some of the 2002 Olympics. The only bad experience I heard during the Olympics had to do with the resort, but certainly not the fault of the resort. Many of the ski fans from Austria were here for their expected hero of the Downhill event. On the day of the event, the contingent of Austrian fans were at the mercy of the weather and imported bus drivers. Neither the weather nor the bus drivers showed any mercy, the buses got lost in the fog, and the Austrians missed the event for which they had come! More relevant to you - The skiing and photography are excellent. The runs are diverse, groomed and un-groomed. I've never been there on a weekend, but as you can see via PTE, a week day is very UNcrowded. My only "reservation" is looking out for snow boarders (jet propelled of course). Alta, where I usually ski, still does not allow snowboarders.