WnSoft Forums

start position/end position with KF's

trailertrash

How on earth do I do this:

When I add an object kf1 shows its start position and size, which I need to change for the object to be in the correct position on the screen. OK so far.

If I'm adding an object to a stack of objects [ be it a child or not ] I need it to be in a specific ending point on the screen. OK, so I set the final KF and note the size/position/zoom and pan details.

This as far as I can see should be identical in the first kf. However because the object is behind another I cant actually see the position etc till I click on the final kf. [ I hope I'm explaining this properly]

So how do I set the position of the object in kf1 to match the position in the final kf.

Andrew

PS: Why is there no save button in QA?

Hi Andrew,

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to duplicate the start position of an object? On the Objects and Animations screen, Animations tab, you have numbers for Pan, Rotate and Zoom. You copy these numbers and paste them and the objects size and position will be duplicated for any particular keyframe which happens to be selected when you perform this operation.

If you are trying to "visually" align two objects in a layer stack, you can do it several ways. You can move the position in the stack temporarily so that the two objects are on adjacent stacks then set the opacity of each to something like 50% temporarily and you will be able to see both simultaneously. Then you can use the "grid" feature to help align them. Once they are aligned, set the opacity and stack positions back to their originals.

To facilitate the above, remember that the keyboard command "CTRL PgUp and CTRL PgDn" will move a selected object up or down one layer at a time. "Shift PgUP and Shift PgDn" will move the selected object to the top or bottom of the stack respectively. Remember also that on the Objects and Animations screen if you click on the "Tools" tab, you want to be certain there is a checkmark beside "Ignore Objects Not Selected" and that assures that if you click on the object in a stack, whatever you do in the way of "drag and drop" will affect only the selected object.

If I've misunderstood what you are trying to accomplish, please let me know and I'll try to help clear up the procedure...

I think you can use the keyboard "Ctrl S" to save in O&A...

Best regards,

Lin

Andrew,

If what you are trying to achieve is have two keyframes on the one object and both keyframes having the same animation values then all you need to do is put the values you want in KF1, then click anywhere you like just under the timeline bar in the O&A window and create a new keyframe KF2; and finally change the keyframe time of KF2 by keying in your new value. This gives you two keyframes with identical animation values.

regards,

Peter

Peter, thank you. Lin has sussed it right. If you start with kf1 and need the object to be in a certain spot and size and behind another object then its impossible to see the thing as you try to alter it!

So it seems the only solution is indeed opacity. That's not good. There should be a way to see the object as you work it, and not have to rely on opacity. Tha'ts fixing a problem with a problem to me.

Andrew

Andrew,

If your problem is being caused by object A obscuring Object B (and you want to work on Object B), that is an Object Stack order issue. And it is entirely in your control to shuffle the stack order. Select the object you want to move by clicking on its name in the Object List and then use Ctrl+PageUp or Ctrl+PageDown to shuffle it up and down the stack until you can see it.

You cannot expect to have the slide image show what the end product will be and what you would like to see, both at the same time. You have to be prepared to move your "work in progress" to a visible position, work on it there, and then return it to its proper place in the stack. No opacity change is needed.

regards,

Peter

BOY is this one tough! OK I got a result with size/position by writing down the values and transferring them that way. Next I had to work out a shadow for a moving object with another behind it, you would think that 2 objects with the same shadow [ 50%] would equal 100% but to get the same opacity of shadow [ once they stop ] one of them has to be set to 75%. Go figure!

However, the good news is, Lin and Peter, thank you for setting me on the correct path. The rest should be simple!!!

Andrew

Andrew,

Here's a tip for you: if you know you are going to want matching values on two keyframes, after you have placed the object where you initially want it by drag-and-drop, overkey its positional parameters in the first KF with nice round numbers that will be easier to remember. It doesn't take long to do and it saves writing everything down. Example: Pan = -55, 65 is easier to remember than Pan = -53.412, 67.326 and achieves virtually the same result.

Peter

Or just copy and paste the values from one keyframe to the other - that way no need to write anything down....

Best regards,

Lin

Andrew,

Here's a tip for you: if you know you are going to want matching values on two keyframes, after you have placed the object where you initially want it by drag-and-drop, overkey its positional parameters in the first KF with nice round numbers that will be easier to remember. It doesn't take long to do and it saves writing everything down. Example: Pan = -55, 65 is easier to remember than Pan = -53.412, 67.326 and achieves virtually the same result.

Peter

Andrew,

Peter

Peter, why didnt I think of that.....DOH!

Andrew,

If it's any consolation, I, too, did my fair share of "head banging" as I tried to learn the techniques of animation. By applied persistence, and some posts here on the forum answered by the likes of Lin and theDom, I built up my portfolio of skills. Now I am in a position to help others such as yourself.

regards,

Peter