WnSoft Forums

Atom powered netbooks

DohNuts

Hi all,

First post here and I'm asking because I couldn't find any reference in a search. Simple really, are the integrated graphics on a netbook's Atom CPU powerful enough to run PicturesToexe as an application? A simple photo-editing application such as IrfanView would also be required to keep things to a minimum.

I'm considering a 1.83GHz Atom N475 powered netbook with Intel GMA 3150 Graphics. Not being a computer geek, I don't know much about the capabilities on the spec. I'm just looking to find the highest GHz I can for a reasonable price, and this fits the bill. And it has excellent battery life as well, so there's two plus points.

Needless to say, asking in a shop is totally useless, as they either won't have a clue (Haha, imagine!) or they'll tell you what they think you want to hear in order to get a sale. I know they're not suitable for gaming and that kind of stuff, but that requires fast frame rates, something which sequences don't need to worry about.

Anything else I need to know to help me make my decision?

Thank you

Tom,

Many thanks for the quick reply, your suggestions, and not least, the welcome.

Brandwise, I'm not bothered either way. Cost is an element, but how well the applications run and good battery life are key.

With regard to processor speed, I didn't pay any more attention to the AMD Fusion when I saw it was 1GHz. I know not everything is about higher numbers, but it was also the idea of the graphics card being on the CPU chip that made me wary. I was led to believe that separate graphics were better. But things change so quickly in the world of computers, that I'm sure I'd always be behind the trend anyway.

Whatever I may choose to go with, what I would like is something that will allow me to run PicturesToExe as an application and as a viewer with ease, and not be always operating on the limits of its capabilities. That would drive me nuts, and would ultimately be a false economy. I would dearly love to avoid having to buy a full size and thus, higher powered laptop for size and portability reasons. But if a netbook doesn't run PTE with ease, then there would be no point. I'd just go and find a decent laptop.