WnSoft Forums

Movie Cip

Dave Kjaer

I have just dropped a movie clip into one of my shows and it works fine when I open thee .exe file on my desktop (Windows 7 Pro 64 bit 8GB RAM) However when I play it on my HP laptop (Windows 7 Home 64 bit 4 GB RAM) the movie clip stutters so badly it is not useable.

Any suggestions - thank you.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Try playing the movie clip alone on your HP Notebook. It sounds as if perhaps your video card in the notebook isn't up to the task of playing the video or that possibly you don't have a late version of Direct X and need to upgrade it on your laptop.

Best regards,

Lin

Thank you Lin for your prompt reply. My desktop has the same version of Direct X as my HP laptop (newer machine than my desktop) version 11 and I can play other video clips (much larger) on my laptop no problem. I have just spoken to a friend who has the same problem it will play on his desktop and only one (a very new Acer) of his 3 laptops. Maybe a bug that needs fixing. Just thought that I may try when the box 'Optimization of Video Clip' comes up just using the original file and see if that works.

Regards

David

Dave,

My interest in your problem is because we have 3 HP-Laptops in daily usage in our Workshops all of which play virtually

any Video-Format without problems. Having said that, this was not always the case for the reason that HP-Laptops tended

to be aimed at the Business-User and consequently were never loaded with the essential range of Video-Codecs necessary

for satisfactory Multi-Media operations.

You will also find that the 'Windows-Media Player' installed on the HP-Laptops is restricted to (Licenced) Windows Media

only and its not much use for anything else. Something like VLC-Player is a good alternative option as it comes with its

Codecs on board. However even with that you will need to scan the Laptop to assertain if you have the complete suite of

Codecs installed. WARNING: Do not load any of those Universal-Codec Paks on top of any 3rd Party Player like VLC

as you will create 'dupicates' which will really mess things up. Better by far to download individual Codec-Sets directly

from their Manufacturer as these always have their own individual containing Folder.

You will need to check if you have the following (basic) 32Bit-Core components installed:-

** DirectX-10 (Not12)

** AC3-Audio

** DivX

** XVid

** FFdshow

** Halli-Splitter

** AviSynth 2.5

The latter is important as it links all the Laptop-Codecs to a Common-File ~ "Usage on demand system" ~ which plays everything.

Just for encouragement our 3.HP Laptops are:- Windows XP-3 with Dual-Core Intel Processors. 2Gb RAM. 945 Intergrated-Chipsets

considered by some purists to be sub-standard !! Sorry to dissapoint them as our Laptops play everything in 1280x72 HD.Format

and in PTE.Exes with images of 4000x2248 pixels. We also use the 1280x720 HD.Format for direct TV viewing and making DVD's.

Below is a 'Universal Codec-Scanner' whichs list all Codecs on the Laptop with Manufacturers Name & Series ~ it also manages them

and prevents duplication and interaction. The secret of good Video-rendition is Codec Management.

Yes ~ HP-Laptops are well capable of doing your job....Hope this helps...

Brian (Conflow)

CodecScan.zip

Hello Dave G

Thanks for your reply - I'm not sure if my video card is integrated or shared but its a ATI Radion HD3200.

Regards

Dave

Hello Brian

Thanks for your reply - outside of Photoshop, Word and E-mails I am a bit of a novice so I will wait until I see a friend (advanced PC user) on Thursday or Friday before I investigate your suggestions.

It does appear to me that a lot of users who try to run a .exe slideshow which includes video clips are going to have the same problem as I have just spoken with another user who says it only works on one (purchased a few weeks ago) of his two laptops.

Regards

David