WnSoft Forums

Can't download PTE programs

goddi

Greetings,

This might be an off-topic posting but it does deal with PTE. And it might be just a 'personal' problem but I can't figure it out.

I've been out of the country for a few weeks and I just noticed that the 7.02 beta was available. I tried to download it but I could not. I have attached the error gif (Download Error.gif).

I then tried to download the 7.0 version to see what would happen, and I got the same results.

When I try delete the incomplete files it did download, I also got error an message, see attached gif (Delete Error.gif).

What puzzles me is I have be able to download other files off the Internet with no problems. Can someone point me in the right direction to figure this out? I am the Administrator on my PC.

Thanks... Gary

post-1794-0-23229000-1323092142_thumb.gi

post-1794-0-81661400-1323092142_thumb.gi

Greetings,

Yes, I do have AVG but I disabled it. But the problem persists.

I notice now that I can download files sometimes and sometimes not.

I was out of the country for a while so I was slowly going through my 900 emails and just tried to download the beta version that Igor posted earlier. I got the error messages. Then I saw his 'Version 7.0', which I now see is build 7.0.3, which is what I meant when I stated "Version 7.0'. I got the error message with this also.

I just tried to download the XMedia Recode and, it too, gave the error message. I am the Administrator so I don't understand these errors.

When I try to delete the partial PTE file, I get the attached error message.

Gary

Added later: I was just able to download Lin's Magiccard file. So it seems to be a random thing.......

==================================

Gary,

Why are you trying to download betas? V7 was released a couple or so weeks ago and the latest bug fix release (v7.0.3) is available via www.wnsoft.com.

regards,

Peter

post-1794-0-50249100-1323114081_thumb.gi

Greetings,

I think I might have figured out what might be causing the problem. At first, I thought it was related to PTE because those were the files that I was having initial problems with. But is is not a problem related to PTE, I am sure now.

I was able to download a file using IE that would not download correctly using Firefox (FF). Since the file would download without a problem using IE, I looked at Firefox as the culprit. In MozillaZine, I found the Reset Download Folder section, see below. I found that Firefox "may have lost track of which folder to use for the download directory." I followed the recommended solution and it seemed to have fixed the problem, sort of. After resetting the download location in FF, the downloads worked. But then the problem reoccurred. I reset the download location again, it fixed the problem. So I think it is FF that is causing the problem but I can't seem to make the fix permanent.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Gary

(from MozillaZine) Reset download folder

Firefox may have lost track of which folder to use for the download directory. Symptoms would include "File - > Save Page As" and the "Save Image As" and "Save Link As" right-click context menu options not functioning or nothing downloading when you select the "Save" option in the Firefox "Opening" dialog box

The solution may be as simple as choosing a different download folder, then going back and re-selecting your preferred download settings in Firefox Tools -> Options under "General / Downloads" ("Main / Downloads" in Firefox 3.5). For example, if "Always ask me where to save files" is selected, select "Save files to" and choose a download folder, then go back and re-select "Always ask me where to save files".

Gary,

I have always allowed Firefox to download to Users/Downloads (i.e. the default Microsft download folder) and never had a problem. Anything I want to keep I then move to my preferred folder. The choice of folder depends upon what it is I've downloaded.

regards,

Peter