WnSoft Forums

Adding an effect to a slide.

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I'm using 7.04 now for all the conversions I do, one anomaly I've come across is that when I apply an effect to a slide, say curling page, if I then decide to move the slide, the effect seems to stay with the previous slides location, not the slide I've added the effect to, is this correct?

Yachtsman1. :unsure:

Is it, perhaps, associated with the status of "Keep full slide duration" (tick box in lower right hand corner of main window)? It is generally recommended to have this "unticked" unless you have the specific need for it to be ticked on.

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Peter

At least somebody is willing to give a sensible reply. Yes I did have slide duration ticked, wasn't sure what this did. I will un-tick it & have another go.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

With the box unticked, the slide's effect acted as I thought it should, re-ticking it brought back the original complaint. Is this a bug??

Thanks Peter

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric,

It's not a bug. The transition is part of the "duration" so if you ask to have the original slide duration preserved, the transition stays assuming you will set a new transition and transition time at the location of the move. It's a logic issue.

Best regards,

Lin

With the box unticked, the slide's effect acted as I thought it should, re-ticking it brought back the original complaint. Is this a bug??

Thanks Peter

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric,

It took about a dozen of us several weeks during the beta programme, and immediately after it, to agree that we didn't really understand it either. But we did agree that leaving it unticked made PTE behave as it always had done! You could try searching for KFSD to find some of the topics and posts.

Peter

Hi Eric,

Let me see if I can put it a different way.

You have a slide and you have a transition. The slide time plus the transition time equal a total display time for that slide.

If you want that particular total time preserved with a different slide then the transition "time" must remain and the new slide must have the same time as the one you are moving. By having the box checked, you indicate that this is your wish. It would not be logical for PTE to "change" the type of transition capriciously, but just leave your chosen transition in place and assign the replacement slide for that position in the slide list the same time as was assigned to the slide you are moving.

The issue is to determine what actually consists of a "total time". For example: You begin the very first slide with a fade in. Now, does this fade-in belong with the first slide? Logic would say yes. But what about the transition from the first to the second slide? Does this transition belong to the first or second slide? What if you had no transition for the first slide from the opening of the show? What if you decided to have a "quick, no transition?" So there are logic issues which must be dealt with about which transition belongs to which slide and when.

Whichever way you decide is somewhat arbitrary, but in order to "preserve" some logic then a choice has to be made by the developer. Igor chose to do it the way he did because no matter which way he programmed, someone would think it should be a different way.

So he gave us a choice. Tick the box and the transition stays and is assigned to the replacement or previous slide or untick the box and the transition goes away.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

Thanks for the explanation, but it didn't seem logical to me, still not sure what the box achieves. :unsure:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi All

I remember the controversy, but didn't take much notice. Setting trasition times IMHO, we should be able to set both transitions to a slide, in & out to what we would like, however, that's just my opinion, but I seem to remember someone else with the same request.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. :unsure: