WnSoft Forums

Relationship between Mipmapping as was & Unsharp Mask as is.

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

This is going to take some time to explain what I am asking. Having only recently up-graded from 6.04 to the 7 series, I am trying to understand the substitution of the Mipmapping feature with the Unsharp Mask. I know know how & when & how to use it after experimenting & prompts from others, however, there's always an "however". When setting up a new show, I go to the project options page & adjust the various settings to what I want. Now on the screen tab, which has the "Sharpness Setting" control, with various options, from None to Custom. So far so good. I'm assuming what I decide in this setting will be transferred to all my slides? as is usual with all the other settings I use in the PO screen?

My next action is to fine tune the slides, particularly those needing lots of animation. Now here come the problem, when I go to the "Object & Animation tab for that particular slide, I find the default I have set in the PO screen has not been, or doesn't appear to have been set in the O&A screen, instead there appears to be a default setting of -100, which I can then adjust from -100 up to +128. So my question is, why isn't the default setting of 30 using the "Best For Animation" PO setting transferred to the O&A setting. I hope I have explained what I am getting at & the "GOM" ;) won't take me to task for asking.

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-83633200-1331885911_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-95566300-1331885934_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-05772100-1331885953_thumb.jp

Hi Eric,

Mipmapping and unsharp mask are not substitutes for one another. Unsharp mask is a property setting affecting "all" main images in your slideshow. The "sharp/smooth" setting is applied as desired to selected individual objects.

Perhaps the best way for you to see this might be to create a very small test show consisting of two slides which have great detail in them. Set the unsharp mask to maximum (200) in the Project Options, Screen Tab.

Now add text to one - just the word "text" - no need to do anything else. Now with "text" selected and without zooming in (set the zoom ratio to about 50% - use the drop down arrow on zoom next to the "close" button at top of screen) , observe the word "text" while you manually adjust the slider through the extremes from -128 to 128. The "sharper/smoother" acts on individual objects while the unsharp mask is a universal applied equally across the board to all slides in your show. You will not notice the effect of the sharper/smoother settings very much when zoomed in close, but will notice them more from a distant zoomed out setting.

Best regards,

Lin