WnSoft Forums

Zipping files

Carolreid

Hi,

I have produced a presentation but at 7Mb, Outlook Express removed it, calling it an unsafe attachment.

I tried zipping it up using WinXP and then using WinZip but neither of them seemed to reduce the file very much.

Is there another way of reducing files - I see that some ppl have files of 20/30Mb.

TIA

Carol

Hi, Carol,

Welcome to the forum!

Zipping the file will not reduce it much in size, but it will allow it to get by some of the security filters on most commercial email systems.

Carol

welcome to the forum

a pte exe is prettyy well compressed all it can be

a file splitter program may be your answer

quite a few mail programs will not accept an exe due to it being an exe

and quite few people's antivirus program will block exe's as well

you did the right thing zipping it

but most isp's will not allow you to send a message that is greater the 4 mb -- this is due to the encryription process they use which will add +- 1.5 mb to a 4mb message

the encryption is removed when the message is opened by the receiver's mail program -- it will still have the encryption while on the isp's server

you could try to reduce the music size and or the picts size

but we need the size of the music and the average size of picts in order to help you further

where did you see the

I see that some ppl have files of 20/30Mb.

if they were at Beechbrook Cottage ot Michel's site, they were uploaded to the site by file transfer

ken

We all seem to have this problem whan we dirst start using PTE (the size of our first .exe file that is) I was given excellent advice thru the members of this forum and I will pass it on to you now.

1. Always use mp3 files for your music.

2. Keep your picture file size as low as possible. 72dpi is adequate and 800 x 600 pixels will give good results.

Ron West

If I can expand on Ron's good advice

- MP3 files, if you are concnerned with the size of it for e-mailing or downloading, I try to use 96-128kbps

- Image size:

--I don't worry about changing the dpi to 72, I just go with whatever it is (That is a whole other dialogue ;) ) But I use 800x600 if using fades under 2-2.5 seconds and larger (1024x768) if using fades over 3 seconds. (I use the same size of image throughout).

-- I "jpg" the images at quality 5, of whatever will keep the final image at 100-200kb

Hi,

I have produced a presentation but at 7Mb, Outlook Express removed it, calling it an unsafe attachment.

I tried zipping it up using WinXP and then using WinZip but neither of them seemed to reduce the file very much.

Is there another way of reducing files - I see that some ppl have files of 20/30Mb.

TIA

Carol

Apparently your Internet Explorer is set for too secure a setting to accept attachments...that's your problem

IE - Tools/Options/Security/Internet Zone - less secure....

Zipping the PTE presentation doesn't significantly change the size of the content because jpg files are already compressed files, but it helps a little. I use "Winzip" for zipping my files, not XP.

I also size my pictures at 800 x 600 or less,72ppi. For vertical formats (portrait mode) I make the file less than 800 pixels high because it crowds the screen if it's too high.

Isabel

Folks,

I thought I had already replied here but my ISP obviously went down before it arrived!

Yes my sound files are MP3 (after much trial and error it seemed to only accept this type) and also each pic I reduced to under 100kb to keep the total as small as possible.

I also found that although Outlook Express *said* that the file had been removed since it was an "unsafe attachment" it did in fact arrive.

It seems that it gets sent and arrives but it is not kept on the server.

Thanks for all your help.

Another hint that I have learned the hard way is to put the pics in order in a folder (using the thumbnails in WinXP) so that they are approx correct in PTE.

If they are thinking of improvements that woud be a great one!

Cheers

Carol