WnSoft Forums

Loss of colour sturation in some photos

Violet2010

I have noticed a siginificant loss of colour saturation in some images when I import them into PTE 7.0

This is occurring not just with my own images, but also some, but not all, taken by my daughter, using a different camera and different editing software.

It is most apparent on wildlife photos. For example, a red squirrel has lost most of his red colouring; in another instance some photos taken in a sequence , of the same bird, have been largely desaturated whilst others remain the same.

has anyone else noticed this? and most importantly, how do I resolve it?

thanks

Violet

A couple of possibilities the most likely being that your various JPEGs are in different colour spaces.

The correct colour space for PTE is the sRGB colour space.

If you are using JPEGs SOOC (straight out of camera) then the different cameras might be set one to sRGB and the other RGB.

If you are Post Processing make sure that you convert to sRGB before saving as a JPEG.

Another possibility is that one camera is set to a Neutral Picture Control and the other to a Vivid Picture Control.

DG

Post two samples of a saturated and desaturated example?

Leave the Metadata intact.

If you are using Photoshop try saving via "Save for the Web" this will enable you to see what to expect from the output JPEG. If it looks OK in "Save for the Web" but desaturates in PTE let us know?

DG

It's well nigh impossible to post a desaturated example , as it only desturates when embedded in a PTE sequence.

The colour is not a problem when saved in JPEG, TIFF, Save for web and devices, at any file size, only when imported into PTE. On the same monitor, the saturation is there in the pic when viewed in Photoshop, but dissipates when imported into a PTE sequence.

The colour is not restored when a sequence is created, in either .pte or as an MPEG file, and viewed on my PC monitor or my daughter's MAC I've tried both of those options too.

Violet

Hi Violet,

So, make a tiny PTE show with only a couple images which "desaturate" and post a link to the show AND to the images which desaturate in PTE as separate jpgs and maybe we can get to the bottom of the problem you are seeing...

Best regards,

Lin

It's well nigh impossible to post a desaturated example , as it only desturates when embedded in a PTE sequence.

The colour is not a problem when saved in JPEG, TIFF, Save for web and devices, at any file size, only when imported into PTE. On the same monitor, the saturation is there in the pic when viewed in Photoshop, but dissipates when imported into a PTE sequence.

The colour is not restored when a sequence is created, in either .pte or as an MPEG file, and viewed on my PC monitor or my daughter's MAC I've tried both of those options too.

Violet

On the same monitor, the saturation is there in the pic when viewed in Photoshop, but dissipates when imported into a PTE sequence.

I'm not sure on this point but I think that would be the case if you were operating Photoshop in Adobe RGB. Someone with appropriate experience will be able to confirm this - or correct my understanding.

PicturesToExe does not support different colour spaces - only sRGB. Therefore the images have to be saved using sRGB colour space. So, the correct test for you to do, is to Save for Web out of Photoshop and then compare that image as viewed outside of PTE in Windows Preview with the same image as viewed inside PTE in Full Screen Preview. The two images should look the same in both.

regards,

peter

Dave,

If Violet is comparing an image in Photoshop that is set to use Adobe RGB with the same image that has been exported Save for Web and opened into PTE, will she not see a difference in colour?

And I have seen post #5. The quote I used was from post #5. If the sentence that I quoted is an exact, precise and accurate statement by Violet, and if my understanding is correct (which you have neither confirmed nor denied), she is comparing apples and oranges!

Tell me I'm wrong in my understanding and I'll shut up and learn from the experts! But if I am not wrong in my understanding...

Peter

All images are, to the best of my knowledge, in sRGB , they are resized in Photoshop to the same size. 1400 px x 1050 px to be used in PTE.

I have made a mini sequence, using a mixture of images. The first Harvest mouse is vibrant, the second is not, although they both look exactly the same when vieweed via Bridge in Photoshop CS5. Like wise the kingfishers, the first is vibrant, the second has lost his vir=brancy. The red squirrel and the golden sedge frog both just look sad, although the JPegs are brightly coloured.

and will attach the fully vibrant JPEG images as well.

just give me a few minutes to learn how to do this, I'm new here... not new to photography or producing AVs, just new here...

In fact, if someone can advise me how to post up the AV and the JPEGS, that will same me some time trying to find out...

many thanks for taking the time to help me here

I think I have found the answer.... on chekcing the metadata. The images were all taken by my daughter, and the ones losing colour saturation are saying Colour space uncalibrated. I do not know how she has managed to do this. She is an experienced photographer, I will talk to her tomorrow.

Many thanks for your help. I will attenpt to re edit and allocate a colour space, and see what happens.

Violet

Some statements on color management in this thread are not correct, and this has also happened in the past. PTE does not support any color management. The correct color space for a PTE show depends on the presentation device. In case of projectors (in most cases) this is sRGB. For monitors running other color spaces, sRGB is not a good choice. See here and here.

Regards,

Xaver

Can we not agree that the color space most widely used by PTE devotees is sRGB and that sRGB is the color space most likely to give the best results?

We seem to be entering an era in the PTE forum where every little word or phrase is subjected to the utmost scrutiny and generalisations are strictly forbidden!

DG

Dave, the important message is: PTE does not support any color space or color management. It just acts in a transparent manner, it does not care for color management. This has to be done by the user himself. When using projectors, sRGB is good in almost all cases, when using e.g. calibrated monitors, typically it is not.

Regards,

Xaver