WnSoft Forums

MP3 vs Wav files [Solved]

jevans

As a result of upgrading to windows 7, 64 bit, I have had to upgrade my audio editor from Audition 1.5 to Audition Version 3.0. If I create a project sound file in Audition and export the mixdown file as an mp3 file (mp3PRO(FHG)) which is the only option provided in Audition 3.0, the resultant audio file is misread by PTE (any version). What happens is that, for a long audio file, the actual sound gradually falls behind the point at which waveform image appears. I attach a jpg test image which shows a PTE project using an mp3 file from Audition at the 2 sec point. This shows Slide 5 at the same point as a waveform image. However if you play this, the actual sound does not occur until the position shown by Slide 6. i.e. some 4.5 secs later. The longer the sound file, the bigger the gap between the visible waveform and the actual sound occuring.

I also attach a further image where I have replaced the mp3 sound file with an identical version but this time as a Microsoft ADPCM wav file. This time the sound and waveform occur simultaneously as they should.

To test whether the mp3 file is valid, I loaded it into Windows Media Player and the sound occurs correctly at 2 secs.

Thus it would appear that PTE does not read (mp3PRO(FHG)) type files correctly when exported from Audition version 3.0. Maybe this is a compression issue but, if so, why is the file read correctly by Windows Media Player.

post-1996-0-19662900-1346775058_thumb.jp

post-1996-0-38131300-1346775070_thumb.jp

Jeff,

Complete stab in the dark:

You are saving at CBR (Constant Bit Rate) and not VBR (Variable Bit Rate)??

I have always used MP3 PRO (FHG) without problem.

Look for Options when saving?

DG

Dave,

Well done. Almost the right answer. Yes I am using CBR but when I checked the options, I noticed that the bit rate had become set to a ridiculously high value (no idea why??). If I change it to 160 kbps, 44100 Hz (17:6:1) then the mp3 works as it should. Problem solved .

Many thanks - what a wonderful forum this is.

Regards

Jeff,

Forgive me asking but what is "a rediculously high value"?

320 is the highest it will go and and I often use that in PTE.

256 is my standard for CD to MP3 conversions.

Just curious. 320 should not cause your symptoms.

DG

Dave,

When I looked the bit rate was set to "(Custom, 620)". Having changed to a value in the offered list, this particular custom setting is not now visible, so I do not know how is was set to this in the first place. A possibility maybe is that I tried to install Audition 1.5 onto a Windows &, 64 bit machine and it would not insstall corrctly. Maybe in then installing Version 3.0, it ccorrupted the bit rate setting. Anyway that was the problem - an incorrect bit rate setting.

regards