WnSoft Forums

image file size and audio file size vs. published EXE file size

what is the relationship between the file size of my images and my audio files, as compared to the file size of the published EXE?

I am not referring to the number of images and audios. I mean whether Image X was saved from its source program as big file or a small file.

Do big source files result in big EXE, or does the publishing process somehow normalize the source data so that it takes the same output space regardless of its original file size?

The user manual suggests that big source files equal big EXE files in the following statement (but my experiments are giving contradictory results) "Executable file of my slideshow is too large.How can I reduce the size of my executable file? Reduce your JPEG images to 1024x768 or 1280x960,160-500 KB. Use MP3 files for soundtrack (don't use WAV audio files)"

I used the PowerPoint 'save as' feature to save my presentation as a series of image files (one for each PowerPoint slide). I then imported all the slides with no audio into a pictures to EXE show, and published to EXE.

I first did this setting the PowerPoint output format to bitmap. I then repeated the experiment with PowerPoint exporting to PNG.

Although the PNG source images are much, much smaller than the bitmap counterparts, the EXE file based on the PNG was actually a little bit larger than the EXE from bitmaps. (2.23 meg for bitmaps; 2.27 meg for PNG).

I'm just experimenting now. I have not created my first show yet (which like my experiments, will be based on exported PowerPoint slides). So it's early enough in my project for me to adjust how I generate the source data.

I appreciate any advice you have on the source image and source audio settings for the best compromise between image/audio quality and EXE file size.

Hi Scott,

It's actually the level of jpg compression which has the most effect on executable output size. Images or videos which are repeated in the executable Windows or MacIntosh output do not add to the exe file size. That is if you use the same slide five times or one time, the "hit" on size does not really change.

So in answer to your question, yes, the file size rather than pixel dimensions is most important in determining output exe file size. Slightly compressed jpgs or bmp files will cause the exe size to increase proportionally. Highly compressed jpgs will result in smaller executable file sizes. A PhotoShop jpg compression level of around six to eight will result in smaller exe sizes without undue compromise in image quality.

As for audio, the best compromise would depend a bit on whether you are doing voice-overs or presenting music backgrounds. For voice quality, there is usually no real need for stereo output and lower kHz can generally be used without undue compromise in tonal quality. For stereo music with its generally much wider frequency range than the spoken voice, an MP3 with 44,100 should provide a very satisfactory result.

Best regards,

Lin