WnSoft Forums

Bug?- Publishing AVI does not 'replace' the file.

goddi

Greetings,

When you Publish/AVI File, and then browse to a same named file to replace it, the file is not replaced. What happens is that a '2' is added to the filename. So, you wind up with two files, filename.avi and filename2.avi.

It would be nice if the process actually replaced the file.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Could you explain a bit further. It's not clear to me what the problem actually is. Are you saying that you have an AVI file - regardless of where it came from (the confusion here is "when you publish/AVI File") then you want to change that AVI file in a slideshow to a "different" AVI file? Is this an operating system issue you are talking about? What isn't clear is what you mean by "replace it."

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Gary,

Could you explain a bit further. It's not clear to me what the problem actually is. Are you saying that you have an AVI file - regardless of where it came from (the confusion here is "when you publish/AVI File") then you want to change that AVI file in a slideshow to a "different" AVI file? Is this an operating system issue you are talking about? What isn't clear is what you mean by "replace it."

Best regards,

Lin

===============================

Lin,

Sure. I am going into the Publish menu and selecting 'AVI file'. If I want to replace a previously created AVI file with the same name (replace it), the process does not actually replace the file. It creates a new file with a '2' added to the filename. See my attached screen prints and I hope that makes it clearer. I don't think they got uploaded in proper sequence. But they are numbered 1,2 and 3.

Thanks... Gary

post-1794-0-11904800-1366929231_thumb.jp

post-1794-0-64299500-1366929247_thumb.jp

post-1794-0-73576700-1366929264_thumb.jp

Hi Gary,

That's a "safety" feature. Let me try to explain. You have created an AVI file and you then modify it and what you "intend" is for the modified version to overwrite the original. But PTE is very careful to not overwrite anything so it creates your "modified" version with a similar file name and adds the "2" or "3" to the name so you know there is a difference.

The word "replace" is confusing here because it is generally used when you "substitute" one file or image for another. That's where my confusion came from. I suspect perhaps a different word might be used in the menu to avoid wrong expectations. PTE will "never" overwrite one of your files - that has been discussed many times in the past. It will overwrite the PTE file if you choose to use the same name, but it doesn't overwrite data files such as images, video's etc.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Gary,

That's a "safety" feature. Let me try to explain. You have created an AVI file and you then modify it and what you "intend" is for the modified version to overwrite the original. But PTE is very careful to not overwrite anything so it creates your "modified" version with a similar file name and adds the "2" or "3" to the name so you know there is a difference.

The word "replace" is confusing here because it is used when you "substitute" one file or image for another. That's where my confusion came from. I suspect perhaps a different word might be used in the menu to avoid wrong expectations. PTE will "never" overwrite one of your files - that has been discussed many times in the past. It will overwrite the PTE file if you choose to use the same name, but it doesn't overwrite data files such as images, video's etc.

Best regards,

Lin

====================================

Lin,

It does not make sense when the window comes up and clearly says "Fox.avi already exists. Do you want to replace it?". If I have the ability to make the choice, why not let me? Keeping a file I don't want, just adds to my work to have to find it and delete it. It just adds confusion. I should be re-worded or just removed so I know I have to delete the file first in the Browse window and then create the revised file with the same name.

Gary

Hi Gary,

I believe the confusion is that the meaning of "replace it" is that the developer intended this to mean "use" this one instead of "that one" in your show - not "overwrite" it...

Best regards,

Lin

=================================

Lin,

The problem is that there is an inconsistency. When you re-create an MP4, you don't get that window asking if you want to replace the file. It automatically puts a '2' in the filename. Actually, I have always felt it should always give you that choice to replace the file when you are recreating the same file. This is a normal expectations in other Windows programs. Why not here? In the case of making an MP4, I always have to go into the Browse window and have to delete the previous version before I proceed, so I don't have to deal with two files.

Gary

P.S. Not to mention...when you SaveAs the PTE file or the EXE file, it asks if you want to replace it.

The problem is that there is an inconsistency... when you SaveAs the PTE file or the EXE file, it asks if you want to replace it.

I'm with you on this one Gary. When "Publish Show > Executable file for PC" is used and the file has been previously published under this same name, we are reminded that an over-write is about to happy and given the chance to abort or go ahead. If we say Yes it goes ahead and replaces the previous file without changing the filename in any way. As you indicate, for consistency, this should be the behaviour for all other file types created from the "Publish Show". The one thing all users should desire, and new users will welcome, is consistent behaviour.

regards,

Peter

after studying the comments, i have come to the conclusion that maybe you people should change your methods of saving

my method is to first save the initial pte with the basic name

example "peter.pte"

i then play with the show and if i am satisfied, i do not change the name

but

if there are major changes i then Save the pte as "R1_PETER.PTE"

i open the new pte and make sure the name is as i saved it -- i never make an exe until i need to publish/send/put on dropbox, mediafire, facebook or burn to a cd/dvd -- no sense of clutter my drives with an exe when all files are on the system - if i wish i can make a template, zip file etc and store on another drive or a cd/dvd

result no duplicate exe's

now what am i missing in your methods???

ken

now what am i missing in your methods???

Ken,

The point you are missing is that we are discussing the outcome of "Publish" operations - not File > Save or File > Save As operations. If you publish an EXE it will replace the existing EXE of the same name (with a warning before you do so). If you Publish an AVI it gives you the same warning but does not do the replacement. Instead, it creates a totally new file with a new, automatically chosen, filename. That is an inconsistency of behaviour.

regards,

Peter

Ken,

You're still missing the point. Gary doesn't want the file to have a new name, he wants the existing file to be replaced by the new one whilst keeping the original file name. This can be done for EXEs but apparently not for an AVI file.

Just to clarify further, Gary wants Filename A contents XYZ to be replaced with Filename A contents JKL.

Peter

Ken,

You're still missing the point. Gary doesn't want the file to have a new name, he wants the existing file to be replaced by the new one whilst keeping the original file name. This can be done for EXEs but apparently not for an AVI file.

Just to clarify further, Gary wants Filename A contents XYZ to be replaced with Filename A contents JKL.

Peter

==========================

Peter,

That is correct. All I want it to do is what it says it will do and what it is expected to do. :)/>

Thanks... Gary

these are my files that i am referring to

1MP4'S OCT 25 TO nov 6 2012\

. <DIR>

.. <DIR>

1_NOV 6 2012 ST CLAIR VS ST PATS VOLLEY BALL.mp4 756879 KB 11/6/2012

1_NOV 6 2012 ST CLAIR VS ST PATS VOLLEY BALL2.mp4 352990 KB 11/6/2012

1VOLLEY BALL ST CLAIR COLTS VS NORTH LAMBTON EAGLES NOV 1 12.htm 7 KB 11/7/2012

1VOLLEY BALL ST CLAIR COLTS VS NORTH LAMBTON EAGLES NOV 1 12.mp4 173614 KB 11/1/2012

1VOLLEY BALL ST CLAIR COLTS VS NORTH LAMBTON EAGLES NOV 1 122.mp4 173614 KB 11/1/2012

B10 ST CLAIR VS XAVIER VB OCT 24 _12.mp4 195625 KB 10/25/2012

b13 ST CLAIR VS XAVIER VB OCT 24 _12.avi 1908897 KB 10/26/2012

b13 ST CLAIR VS XAVIER VB OCT 24 _12.mp4 369931 KB 10/26/2012

fyi only OCT 24 2012 VOLLEY BALL GAME - ST CLAIR HS VS XAVIE.. 20 KB 11/7/2012

NOV 6 2012 ST CLAIR VS ST PATS VOLLEY BALL.htm 9 KB 11/7/2012

10 file(s)

Total filesize -262723 KB

2 folder(s)

414.05 GB free

these files during the conversion process were saved where each show came from -- the parent folder for each video -- eventually the files were either uploaded to vimeo or face book -- some of theses files are duplicates as can be seen but the file name is different - if they were processed in ipad , i renamed them with no problem

i had no problem what you are describing at all

ken

Gary,

I find your point of view quite reasonable!

Our intent was to protect the user from accidentally deleting a video file. This may take several minutes or even an hour. EXE file is being created in a few seconds and the error is not so critical.

I'll think on this situation.