WnSoft Forums

Include text in the transition

RoseW

I'm 'trialing' PTE

Previous experience since Jan 2013 to date FFdiaporama and purchased Proshow Gold in March 2013

Productions are for horticultural clubs usually 30 min in length using an Epson projector from a laptop in 16:9 mpg format.

Combination of the pdf manual, some utube videos and the 'transition template' forum here I have begun to get an overall concept of handling the software setup. I could not translate what was behind Keyframes but an older utube tutorial by a British lady explained it PERFECTLY. That was an AHA moment.

My test show includes a combination of colour followed by a bw version of the same image so I have a text caption at the top.

The images are transitioning nicely from colour to black and white.

I cannot figure out how to include ...or to see...the text as the transition takes place between the two versions.

I'm using the phrase 'include text in the transition' because that is phrase used in Photodex Proshow Gold. Basically the text merges into view rather than leaps out as that slide presents.

I tried positioning the text OFF the slide boundaries and panned it in but its showing up midscreen as soon as the transition is complete then it goes on to use the panning and fade out keyframes that I put together.

Tested the two slides again and it appears if I'm using the 'gates' transition it had better be a horizontal type (Top to bottom) then the text positioned at the left is seen immediately, it pans,increases in size slightly, continues panning and goes into a lowered opacity as it pans to the edge--fades off.. and the image is finished.

So is it that one has to be alert as to which transition to use if text is to be seen from edge to edge?

Rose

OR....use the Quick Transition from the list of choices. It displays the caption title immediately and all the configurations from the various keyframes display (panning,size increase,lessened opacity then to zero opacity)

But I'd still like to know what procedure to include regardless of the transition style

Rose

Hi Rose,

There are several ways you could approach this. The "easiest" way is with keframing where you put both your black and white and your color image in the Objects List rather than as separate slides. This puts them on different layers. Assuming you want to go from the black and white to the color, you place the black and white image on the top layer and copy the first keyframe and drag it to where you want the black and white image to start changing to color. This keyframe holds the image and keeps it from fading out when you place the following one. Put another keyfame at about the mid point for your time to display the two images. Set this keyframe to zero opacity for the black and white image. The black and white image will begin to fade out between the second and last keyframe for this object.

What this will do is you will initially see the black and white image then it will fade out while the color image simultaneously fades in. This is because the color image was "hidden" by being on a layer beneath the black and white image. As the black and white image's opacity decreases from the initial 100 percent to zero, the layer under containing the color image gradually appears.

By doing it this way, you can place the text and set it to fade in at any point on the timeline. You do not need to use the "captions" feature, but just enter the text as I show in the sample. I made a sample with a PTE file and a compiled executable so you can see how to do it. Actually, it's very easy - harder to explain in writing than to do. Takes about 15 seconds when you get the knack...

I have the text fading in as the color is changing, but you can easily set it to come on at the beginning of the black and white slide and just stay on...

This method bypasses a "transition" and uses the simple "fade-out, fade-in" which works better when changing a single slide from black and white to color.

Check the links below and see if this is what you want to see:

http://www.lin-evans...deintextexe.zip (exe example}

http://www.lin-evans...deintextpte.zip (pte file)

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Rose,

There are several ways you could approach this. The "easiest" way is with keframing where you put both your black and white and your color image in the Objects List rather than as separate slides. This puts them on different layers. Assuming you want to go from the black and white to the color, you place the black and white image on the top layer and copy the first keyframe and drag it to where you want the black and white image to start changing to color. This keyframe holds the image and keeps it from fading out when you place the following one. Put another keyfame at about the mid point for your time to display the two images. Set this keyframe to zero opacity for the black and white image. The black and white image will begin to fade out between the second and last keyframe for this object.

What this will do is you will initially see the black and white image then it will fade out while the color image simultaneously fades in. This is because the color image was "hidden" by being on a layer beneath the black and white image. As the black and white image's opacity decreases from the initial 100 percent to zero, the layer under containing the color image gradually appears.

By doing it this way, you can place the text and set it to fade in at any point on the timeline. You do not need to use the "captions" feature, but just enter the text as I show in the sample. I made a sample with a PTE file and a compiled executable so you can see how to do it. Actually, it's very easy - harder to explain in writing than to do. Takes about 15 seconds when you get the knack...

Best regards,

Lin

Another 'AHA' moment....

I haven't downloaded your sample yet but I could visualize your description.

I'm beginning to 'see' the value of keyframes

I have completed a 2 min 7 sec test project and the only thing that was a 'nose twister' was these two captions. The caption was Summer Day Saturated and the Black and white had 'desaturated'...

Back to the drawing board....<grin>

Rose

Hi Rose,

I have the text fading in as the color is changing, but you can easily set it to come on at the beginning of the black and white slide and just stay on...

This method bypasses a "transition" and uses the simple "fade-out, fade-in" which works better when changing a single slide from black and white to color.

Check the links below and see if this is what you want to see:

http://www.lin-evans...deintextexe.zip (exe example}

http://www.lin-evans...deintextpte.zip (pte file)

Best regards,

Lin

I got the fading of one image into the other to be as I envisioned. This meant a couple of keyframes with varying levels of opacity so that the fading from one to the other is gradual

The time for the slide was increased to reflect the total of the previous 2 slides. I already had the music in and there were particular images matching some sections of the piece so post edit has to be 'careful'

I wasn't success with TWO text inserts. Likely I didn't have the patience to fiddle with the text to match the second image.

One line of text indicating there would be saturated and desaturated images following was used on the first image only and it went to invisible at the layer change. When that type of content changed a different text line indicated that colour and black and white images were over.

You wrote:'Put another keyfame at about the mid point for your time to display the two images"

Figuring out just where the 'midpoint' is located is NOT totally obvious. The various 'blocks' on that box where keyframes go can be distracting and must have a meaning??? Finally I noticed a dialog box with numbers in the right side column and assumed this was the data defining the 'time' and calculated what would be the midpoint between those numbers. Before that it is rather hit and miss choosing a location along that bar line.

Also, that tab of text info beside a keyframe can influence user to think it has to be all displayed when in fact if an increasing opacity level is being set those keypoint dots are practically beside one another and the text tag gets buried. I'd be thinking about redesigning that ui <grin> That whole section could just be bigger since its a major control input.....but all of this is a new comers observation (and I'm on a 27 inch(diagonally) monitor <LOL!>)

Is there a choice for display of the image file list that would indicate which image has been inserted and which has not? I am often using up to 300 images which can be in subfolders but even 200 is a long column if they sort by image number-date-title.

Examining code of the transitions and templates shared and applying them has been most informative.

Rose

I got the fading of one image into the other to be as I envisioned. This meant a couple of keyframes with varying levels of opacity so that the fading from one to the other is gradual

Rose, you don't need to worry about changing the levels of opacity, the fading from one to the other will be perfectly symmetrical if you just set the original opacity on the black and white to zero, then set the final opacity to 100 percent. The time between keyframes two and three will determine how quickly the transformation from black and white to color. Leave the keyframes on the color object (image) at 100% and it will fade in with precise synchronization with the fade out of the black and white image.

The time for the slide was increased to reflect the total of the previous 2 slides. I already had the music in and there were particular images matching some sections of the piece so post edit has to be 'careful'

I wasn't success with TWO text inserts. Likely I didn't have the patience to fiddle with the text to match the second image.

One line of text indicating there would be saturated and desaturated images following was used on the first image only and it went to invisible at the layer change. When that type of content changed a different text line indicated that colour and black and white images were over.

You wrote:'Put another keyfame at about the mid point for your time to display the two images"

Figuring out just where the 'midpoint' is located is NOT totally obvious. The various 'blocks' on that box where keyframes go can be distracting and must have a meaning???

The numbers in the blocks give you the precise timing for that keyframe from the beginning of the slideshow. For example, if you have a time for the first slide set to seven seconds with a two second transition and you go to the very beginning of slide two, the time for the default and automatically inserted keyframe will be 00:05.000. This means zero minutes, five seconds, and zero thousandths of a second. It's is extremely precise. So if you take the actual display time for the slide you are trying to find the mid-point for and add half of that time to the first keyframe value, you will know what value to place in the third keyframe. If you look on the Animations tab at the keyframe time, it will tell you the exact time of the keyframe in relation to the slide you are looking at. So let's say you have a display time of seven seconds and you want to find the mid point. Then you would add half of seven to zero (which is your starting point for the slide itself) which would be 3.5 seconds. So you could, if you wanted to be absolutely precise, type in "3500" in the keyframe block. This would automatically place your keyframe at precisely 3.5 seconds from the beginning of your slide.

Finally I noticed a dialog box with numbers in the right side column and assumed this was the data defining the 'time' and calculated what would be the midpoint between those numbers. Before that it is rather hit and miss choosing a location along that bar line.

Yes, but usually you don't need to be perfectly precise - just drag the keyframe to where it "looks" about half way should work nicely.

Also, that tab of text info beside a keyframe can influence user to think it has to be all displayed when in fact if an increasing opacity level is being set those keypoint dots are practically beside one another and the text tag gets buried. I'd be thinking about redesigning that ui <grin> That whole section could just be bigger since its a major control input.....but all of this is a new comers observation (and I'm on a 27 inch(diagonally) monitor <LOL!>)

You will quickly become used to working with it and it won't be a problem. As mentioned earlier, there is no need to change the opacity level manually to get it to work perfectly.

Is there a choice for display of the image file list that would indicate which image has been inserted and which has not? I am often using up to 300 images which can be in subfolders but even 200 is a long column if they sort by image number-date-title.

Yes, in both Table View and File List view images which are presently being used have their file names in "BOLD"

Examining code of the transitions and templates shared and applying them has been most informative.

Hang in there, it will get lots easier...

Lin

Rose