WnSoft Forums

Help-Add a Video Object - Needs more explanation?

goddi

Greetings,

In the Help On-Line manual topic, 'Add a Video Object', the following text has been added:

• The Video Clip can also be added to subsequent Slides and "Linked" to the Master Video Track
  • Animation of the Video Clip can then be added across multiple Slides

Can someone explain this a little more? I don't understand what the "Linked" to the Master Video Track will do. In the example, the video file in this image is the same video file name as in the earlier image. So it is not clear what is being 'linked' and what it is supposed to accomplish.

Thanks... Gary

Hi Gary,

If you add a video to, for instance, Slide 1 which you want to play over multiple slides you have to make it the MASTER in slide 1 and the "slave" in subsequent slides.

In PTE terminology this is done by using the dropdown menu and choosing "Link to xxxxx.converted"

The timing is automatically adjusted for the slide 2, 3 etc occurances of the Video and the video plays seamlessly over multiple slides.

The video can also be animated over the multiple occurances of the Video Clip.

The page is still under construction - I just took a lunchbreak!!!smile.gif/>

DG

Hi Gary,

Just a bit more on what Dave explains... Sometimes people like to use a video playing as the backdrop for their slideshows. To make the video play continually as still slides or other videos are sequenced in the slideshow progression, it is set up as the "master" on slide one and in subsequent slides is linked so that the video plays uninterrupted as the show progresses. It appears, if you use a fade or dissolve as the transition, as if each slide just fades in and out while the uninterrupted background video continues to play until the end of the show or until you decide to no longer link it to the master.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Gary,

If you add a video to, for instance, Slide 1 which you want to play over multiple slides you have to make it the MASTER in slide 1 and the "slave" in subsequent slides.

In PTE terminology this is done by using the dropdown menu and choosing "Link to xxxxx.converted"

The timing is automatically adjusted for the slide 2, 3 etc occurances of the Video and the video plays seamlessly over multiple slides.

The video can also be animated over the multiple occurances of the Video Clip.

The page is still under construction - I just took a lunchbreak!!!smile.gif/>

DG

==========================

Greetings,

Thanks Dave and Lin for the further explanation. I understand now better what it is supposed to accomplish. But what is confusing to me is what is linking to what. In the example, the inserted video (which is selected) looks like it is being linked to itself because the file name of the inserted video is 600_184.converted and it is set to 'Link to: 600_184.converted'.

It seems to me that the inserted video should be linked to the slide image(s) in which it has been inserted. So, I'd expect it to say 'Link to: Image 05'. Maybe that is what is happening but I just can't see or grasp what the example is showing. I will have to play around with it. I like the idea of playing the video seamlessly over multiple slides.

But then, the more I look at it, I see the initial insertion of the video is set to 'Master video track'. Then subsequent insertions of the video in the following still images will be linked back to the initial insertion of the video with the 'Link to: 600_184'. So you will have to do the 'Link to:xxx' for each subsequent still slide for the length of the video's playing time so the video will not stop before the video is finished playing?

If this is how I should think of this, let me know.

Thanks... Gary

Can I try this:

The SECOND OCCURANCE of xxx.converted is being linked to the FIRST OCCURANCE of xxx.converted.

If you go on to a third slide you would see the same xxx.converted in the Dropdown.

You can only link to what you are offered.

DG

==============

Dave,

Yes, that is what I was missing. Maybe it should be mentioned in the On-Line Help. So you would continue the 'Linking:' to still images to match the length of the video's playing time.

Thanks...

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Gary

If you check out my latest show, "Bomber's Moon", I used a video clip added in O&A, didn't link it to anything, added the stills as independent slides, not as children of the master video, Then brought them in to fit the words of the song, which I'd already tailored to fit the show.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Gary can I re-phrase what you said:

"You would continue the linking of the "slave occurances" to match the length of the Video Duration"

xxx.converted.avi - is the Master in the first slide and the Slave in all subsequent slides.

The "slave" video's are not linked to ANY still images.

DG

Gary can I re-phrase what you said:

"You would continue the linking of the "slave occurances" to the match the length of the Video Duration"

xxx.converted.avi - is the Master in the first slide and the Slave in all subsequent slides.

The "slave" video's are not linked to ANY still images.

DG

===============

Dave,

Got it!

Thanks... Gary

Hi Gary,

Indeed the "link" is to the master video from the insertion of the same video (itself) in subsequent slides. Do not copy and paste the video from the first slide because if you do it will set the instance to Master Video on each slide. This "link" tells PTE to continue playing the master uninterrupted as the show progresses from slide to slide. With the transition set to a fade or dissolve, the display time for each subsequent slide set by Slide Options, and the size of the independent still slides adjusted so that you can actually see the video in the background, the stills will sequence without interrupting the background video.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Gary,

Indeed the "link" is to the master video from the insertion of the same video (itself) in subsequent slides. Do not copy and paste the video from the first slide because if you do it will set the instance to Master Video on each slide. This "link" tells PTE to continue playing the master uninterrupted as the show progresses from slide to slide. With the transition set to a fade or dissolve, the display time for each subsequent slide set by Slide Options, and the size of the independent still slides adjusted so that you can actually see the video in the background, the stills will sequence without interrupting the background video.

Best regards,

Lin

===========================

Lin,

I gave it a test in one of my shows. At first I thought I got it, but now I have a few more questions.

I 'added' a video clip to a still image. Set it to be 'Master'. When I play the show, the video stops as expected at the end of the still image, but the video's audio continues. In a previous test, I thought the audio stopped as expected. Shouldn't the video's audio stop in this circumstance?

I then copied the 'Master' video clip in the first still image and pasted it in the second image. It automatically was 'Link to:xxxx' the Master video clip. Great. And then I pasted (from the Master) it to the next still image (automatically was 'Link to:' again) and the video played across all the still images. Great

I skipped the next still image and then pasted the 'Master' video clip to the following still image. The video did not show as expected on the image without the added video, but the video's sound did play and the video picked up again on the last still image. Is this the way it should be working?

I don't think this follows where you said " Do not copy and paste the video from the first slide because if you do it will set the instance to Master Video on each slide", unless I misunderstand it.

Gary

Hi Gary,

If the first item you placed in slide one was a video then the duration of that video will be the default for all subsequent slides unless you change them individually. You said you "added a video..." to a still image. What is the play time for the still image? If there is a subsequent image or video, the slide will change but there is no reason to expect the video sound to not continue to play unless you change the "duration" of the video to match the still slide timing of the first slide.

The issue with copying the master slide is that each paste will result in the pasted video having the identical properties of the original. Assuming you want the subsequent instances of the video to be "linked" to the master, then you would want to manually place the video in the second slide then set the attribute to be linked to the master. Then you could copy the linked video and paste to subsequent slides and things should work properly.

The issue is that your video will generally have a longer display time than you would want for individual still slides. The total additive time of all still slides including the first one "should" be equal to the run time of the video assuming you want all the video to display during the show. So if you divide the run time of the video by the total number of slides in your show, you will know how long to allot to each slide.

If you want to control the audio of the video - mute the audio and add the video as an audio track then you can use the timeline and keypoints to control the audio of the video.

Best regards,

Lin

Gary,

Forget about still images. add around six blank slides to a project at 12 seconds each. add a video to the BLANK slide one in O and A. make it the MASTER. add (not copy) the same video to the other BLANK slides and link them to the Master name will be the same. when you play that the effect will be a continuous running of the video spread over six slides. no images. you can add those later.

Dg

Greetings Lin and Dave,

I've been playing around with it some more. I was just doing something simple by adding a video to the first still image (making it Master) and then copying/pasting the Master video clip from the first still image to subsequent still images (with Link to:xxx). So the video is playing on top of the background still image. Works well. I also discovered that you can skip an image and paste the Master video clip (as a Link to:xxx) to another still image and the video will pick up playing on that slide, if the video is long enough.

I wish, when you fade out the video by changing the video's opacity, that it would also fade out the video's audio. I know we can extract the audio from the video (and muting it) and do the fade out of the audio in the Timeline.

Thanks for the help.

Gary