WnSoft Forums

Using "Do not include file to EXE"

davegee

I tried a little experiment with this feature.

It is possible, when adding video to a project, to exceed the 2Gb limit for EXE files.

So, I ticked the "Do not include file to EXE" box for the Video and Published a Safe Executable for PC to a Memory Key.

The result of this is a very small EXE File size. However trying to play this on a different PC resulted in a "File Not Found" error.

I then extracted the Folder containing the EXE and the ptshow file from the ZIPPED Folder on the original PC and added the Video File to that folder.

This time, when the Memory Key was used on a different PC, the Video File was accessed from the Project Folder on the Key with no problems.

The result is a small EXE File which did not exceed the 2Gb limit.

DG

P.S. Most of you will already know this - it is the first time that I have actually tried it.

Hi Dave,

I had completely forgotten about this feature. It's an option which does work just fine. I had tried it when it was first introduced, but because I never use large videos in my shows, I have never needed to run internal videos outside. This actually makes much more sense than including an external player such as Irfanview. I've been scratching my head because I could not find the correct syntax to get PTE to run IrfanView and automatically open a video show in the IrfanView player. This is easy to do from the DOS prompt within Windows, and I used to use this method to run videos from within PTE many, many years ago before PTE supported video, but the syntax I used then doesn't work any more with PTE.

With this feature enabled, there is no longer any reason to even consider using an external player. Thanks to Tom and you for the reminder!

Well, I'll revise my previous conclusion to say that there is still a time when it would be necessary to use an external player. If the author of the show wants the option of running a video by clicking on a hot spot (frame) or other object then the "do not include in exe" feature would not help. It would be useful to be able to add this do not include feature to the choices for running an external file.

Best regards,

Lin

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Dave,

Well, I'll revise my previous conclusion to say that there is still a time when it would be necessary to use an external player. If the author of the show wants the option of running a video by clicking on a hot spot (frame) or other object then the "do not include in exe" feature would not help. It would be useful to be able to add this do not include feature to the choices for running an external file.

Best regards,

Lin

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

As we discussed in our PM, if this situation arises my solution would be to use hidden slides at the end of the "normal running time" of the show and place the video in a Hidden Slide with "Do not include file in Exe" Ticked.

You can link to the Hidden Slide via Button or "Hot Spot" and use either another Button or Hot Spot to return to the original slide (or the one after it).

Keeping it all in ONE SHOW has distinct advantages.

DG