WnSoft Forums

Backup to Zip Issue

JEB

Does anybody have any explanation for following?

Some months ago I made a seuence (1) with a relatively complex title slide involving the movement of text objects. It worked so successfully I reused the title slide in a later sequence (2). I used the standard copy proceedure and it works very well, in an identical fashion to the first.

As is my habit I made a backup to zip copy of sequence 2 at the end, as a record. I had occasion to provide a copy of that zip file to a collaborator who found that on opening and unzipping in the prescribed way he received an error message indicating that ONE of the text objects (copied from the 1st sequence) was missing. On further investigation we found that in fact the object was there but that it still had a reference to its original location as part of sequence 1. We were able to re connect the object, though it had lost its keypoints and they had to be rebuilt.

There is a further twist to this. If I open and unzip the zip file on my computer there is no problem, presumably because PTE can still access the original location on my drive.

I made several zipped copies for my collegue and all behaved identically (only ONE object (the same one) out of several, ALL coming from the same location) retained its original location identity.

Any thoughts?

John

John,

I don't know why it happened but I can offer an alternative way of doing it?

Instead of BIZ use the TEMPLATE Function and ZIP the resulting Template.

It gathers all of the necessary files and duplicates them in the Template Folder and the links are then to the Template folder and is/are transferrable between PCs.

DG

• Like 1

Thanks Dave,

It has never been an issue in the past for me. I have been using this for years, I just thought it strange given the fact that it has not happened before. I'll have a look again at TEMPLATE. It's been a long time since I used it.

Cheers

John

Hi,

I understand that initially my colleague unzipped the file with the unzipper which is built into Windows 7 professional. When that failed he decided to try something else and used one of the free programmes called 7zip, which worked perfectly.

The size of the zipped file is 181 MB.

John