WnSoft Forums

Is vcd/svcd/dvd quality worth it?

Scuba

HI all - new user of P2E and Loving it!

Tried to creat an AVI file of a presentation ( a temp avi) and then had a look at it in Windows media player ( P2E still running of course). Went to Full Screen on wmedia player - very dissapointed in the quality of the pictures. Seem soft, indistict with enough aretifacts to irritate me :):blink:

The presentation as a preview or an EXE file looks great on the monitor however. :D

So....question - is the poor quality I'm seeing a true reflection of what P2E has encoded for an AVI file and therefore - as good as I can hope for when encoded for a vcd/svcd/dvd OR is it really a reflection of poor handling by windows media player and I should just ignore it and continue on to the burning route?

I was planning on using TMPEG to encode and probably VCDeasy or nero to burn but...am I only going to get a mediocre facimile of what was a great EXE ?

your thoughts appreciated,

Hmmm..

ok maybe I can answer my own question.....

Been playing around

I think the problem is that I was looking at the AVI in full screen mode when their inherent resolution is smaller than my 1024x768. This is forcing the media viewer to interpolate pixels for the larger view.?? When I look at the native resolution of the SVCD or DVD avi the pictures seem fine - if a little small...

sooooo....gonna burn gonna burn gonna burn all night long :P:D:lol:

talkin' bout a reso-o-lutionnnn uhuh uhuh uhu h

ahem - anyway- that make sense? :blink:

Guest Techman1

Scuba,

I found that while viewing my soon to be burned SVCD or DVD that they don't look as good on my monitor. Once they are burned the quality is much better than what I typically see as a preview. That's not to say that the quality is as good as a normal PTE.exe slideshow, but it is still very good.

Good luck and let us know how it goes - "ALL NIGHT LONG". I've got the beat now so I better run!

Take care,

Fred

Hi Fred, thanks for your comments....

I HAVE been having FUN lol :D

So far have burned --- VCD; SVCD; KVCD...used TMPEG + VCD-EASY, also tried Nero.

My DVD player DOES play VCD/SVCD :P

The Pictures / shows come out better than expected and SVCD easily better than VCD. Interestingly KVCD looks good EXCEPT for the transitions.

Found that TMPEG seems to be a better / faster encoder than Nero MPEG2 encoder but can't really see a quality difference as I have them set up - ummm at least as I have TMPEG set up ...not many options in nero wrt encoding!

Anyway - continuing to experiment :rolleyes:

now - time for bed - almost midnight in the antipodes B)