WnSoft Forums

Audacity 1.2.1 is here

Guest guru

Guest guru

You can download new Audacity 1.2.1 (it's free) from here :

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

or here :

(Mirror choice)

Several minor bugs have been removed; this little software is now even more powerful, and allows a "professional" sound quality: don't forget this 1.2 version can manage 24 and 32 bit samples!

Pay attention, Audacity has been reported to not work with Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

Remark: to convert .wav files to .mp3 you need LAME encoder. You can download the last version here:

http://mitiok.free.fr/

It's a zipped file, which contains the complete Lame software, but to use it with Audacity you need only lame_enc.dll. You can extract it into Windows' "System" folder.

Guest Techman1

Guido,

Thanks for keeping us current. I just started using Audacity recently (per recommendations on this forum) and it works very well.

Thank you again!

Fred

Pay attention, Audacity has been reported to not work with Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

Thanks Guido for the info.

Can you please give more details about the above quote ?

Do I have to change some Norton's settings ?

to use it with Audacity you need only lame_enc.dll. You can extract it into Windows' "System" folder.

I found three lame_enc.dll on my machine, none on "System" folder (?) and each has different size , 85 kb, 212 kb, 223 kb. Are they all old versions ? Should I replace them all with new version or it just may be that some of them only have same name (who knows) but are different dlls ?

Thank you

Granot

I don't understand this.

Should I get the latest version or not? I have Norton.

I like Audacity.

By the way, how can I combine several sound tracks into one? When I start another, it appears on its own!

John

Guest guru

Forgive this late reply, my friends. Since two days I'm fighting with 9 (yes, nine!) HDDs, after a semi-crash of one of them, the main one of my main machine. What is a semi-crash? It means the HDD 1) began to make strange, loud and very suspect noises; 2) told HDD Thermometer (by SMART function) its working temperature was about 67-70°C (152-168°F); often at restart reported the message "OS not found".

Well, I think you agree that at this point the only solution was to replace HD. I had an almost-new Maxtor DiamondPlus 9 80GB: fdisk, partitions, format, installed my faithful Win 2000. All right. More's the pity that when I started Windows (after inserting my password) I had to wait at least one minute to see the few desktop icons, and another full minute to open "My Computer" and the other windows...

Ok, I won't annoying you with too many details. I purchesed two SATA disks and I configured a Raid 1 to be safer. But the system was crashing (blue screen) every 10 minutes. Never happened since I use Win 2000, at least 3 years.

This evening I discovered the fault. The system had placed its first "paging file" (the Windows name to indicate the swap space, "swapfile" in Unix) in the Raid volume, and this is not allowed because this is a "fault-tolerant" drive.

Now I removed the "pagefile.sys" from the Raid volume, I placed it in another physical disk, and for now all seems to work. But I don't feel yet so safe... :huh:

I told this long and sad story only because perhaps it may useful to someone in future. But now I have to reply to Granot and John.

Granot, the lame_enc.dll I have now is exactly 174,592 bytes. It's the last stable version (3.96) and works very well. Please don't ask me about the size of previous versions... I don't know in which HD they are. :( Anyhow the whole zipped archive, Lame-3.96.zip, is near 600 KB, and you can download it quickly even with a slow connection.

As to Norton issue, I can only advise you to try. I don't have Norton, so I cannot say if this incompatibility is general or appears only in some cases. In any case, you can disable the protected recycle bin; I think it's not so essential...

I found three lame_enc.dll on my machine, none on "System" folder (?) and each has different size , 85 kb, 212 kb, 223 kb. Are they all old versions ? Should I replace them all with new version or it just may be that some of them only have same name (who knows) but are different dlls ?

Delete (or temporarily rename) those three lame_enc.dll and put the latest version in the System folder. That way you are sure that all your programs are using the latest version of lame_enc.dll. Now, if everything works OK - check the programs where you found these three .dll's - just delete those three (renamed) .dll's.

Granot, at the URL you signaled I found only shareware stuff by Rosoft.

Just scroll down to the bottom of that page. There you'll find a great, big button with the text "Download lame_enc.dll here"

But I agree with you (as always! :-) - get it "from the horse's mouth".

Guest guru

Thank you very much Leif, you recall to me I need new glasses... It's really a BIG button! :(

...but at Granot's page you can find only Lame 3.95, not yet new v3.96 ! :rolleyes:<_<