WnSoft Forums

flickering transitions and won't auto run

wyattsmom

Long time listener, first time caller.

Please help extremely frusturated.

I have used previous versions of PTE and loved the program. I am in trouble though. I always use the fade in fade out transition, and on this version when a picture has any grain and sometimes when there isn't hardly any, the transition is not smooth and flickers, which is hard to watch.

I am also having a very hard time getting to auto run. I have made auto run cds successfully on the previous version of PTE, but I have burned 15 cds and none will work. I copy and pasted the exact lines onto notepad from the FAQ section in the help section. (I changed the name to my slide show name) I have even shortened the name to six characters (since this sometimes worked with my previous version) NOTHING IS WORKING. Has anyone encountered this problem, and how do I fix it? I have tried everything I can think of, I'm fresh out of ideas. HELP!!!!

We have Windows XP home version, 1 gig ram, I even disabled our virus software thinking that this could prevent the cd from auto starting.

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE HELPFUL

Hi, Wyattsmom!

Welcome to the Forum!

Here is a link to MS Knowledgebase which might help: MS INFO. Autorun can get a little complicated with Win XP.

Re the flickering, you will find it occurs more noticeably when going from high-key (light) images to darker images (dramatic differences in contrast), or vice versa. It is also a function of the size of your image files, what else is working on the pc in the "background", how much you have in the way of computer resources (RAM, speed, etc.), and the speed of transition (cuts and slow fades usually display less flicker).

Also, Igor has added a couple of lines to the apr.ini file to reduce flicker. However, depending on how you installed the upgrade to version 4.20, they may not have been added. See this REFERENCE for info. Check your ini file to ensure that they are there. Hope this helps! :)

Wyattsmom,

You may not need to add them, but it's good to check to make sure they are there anyway.

Open apr.ini in a text editor such as Notepad (you can drag and drop it from its folder in Windows Explorer directly to a blank open Notepad.)

Then scroll down to the line which reads "pte_SoundInitDir=", and you should see the two lines in question directly below it. If not, simply type them in and re-save the notepad file as apr.ini. If you save it as "apr.txt", you can then change the name to "apr.ini". (Better backup the file before you start all this, and rename it something like "apr.old" so you will have it to fall back on if you foul things up). Good luck. :)