WnSoft Forums

Keyboard Selection of Slide(s)

Conflow

Hi Forum,

This enquiry is probably best addressed to Advanced Members of the PTE Forum.

Is it possible ? or has anybody any experience of the following Task I am attempting ?

I shall keep it absolutely simple so the numerics below are for example purposes,viz:-

1) There is a Numeric Keyboard (Telephone Type) 0-9 plus * and # and additional Button.

2) There are 10 Slides with Sound Commentaries (each of different lenghts)

3) There is a Printed List of the 10 Slides with a Printed Numeric Code for each slide.

The 'idea' being that a Student or Visitor see's the 'Printed List' and selects a 'Slide Topic'

then enters the selection code on the Keypad, press go, and the Slide Plays automatically.

On completion of the task the System returns to an 'On-Screen' Menu and parks itself.

The "design requirement" is to provide a "dumb Terminal" WITHOUT A PC KEYBOARD and

only provide a 'tamperproof' Numeric Keypad.

Yes,I am familiar with Electronic Design, Ascii Codes, Keypad Encoders etc; - However I am

not familiar enough with the PTE Program and therefore would not know if this is possible.

It may be that some of our Software Members have already done this ?

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Brian Kelly.Conflow.Dublin

conflow@iol.ie

Brian,

You could try preparing 12 slides, each with the same 12 buttons, and have only the appropriate button on each slide programmed to go to slide number "x", where x is the next digit in the sequence.

If someone were to press a wrong button, that button would be programmed to go to a "dummy" slide with the same 12 buttons, but going nowhere. The person would not know he or she was at a dummy slide, as transitions to each slide would be imperceptible.

Then, the last digit in the sequence would take one to the slide with the "go" button activated to either start another show or go to yet another slide which would be the starting point for the show.

If this doesn't work, we can discuss it in more detail at Davey Byrnes next week. :)

Brian,

You could try preparing 12 slides, each with the same 12 buttons, and have only the appropriate button on each slide programmed to go to slide number "x", where x is the next digit in the sequence.      

If someone were to press a wrong button, that button would be programmed to go to a "dummy" slide with the same 12 buttons, but going nowhere.     The person would not know he or she was at a dummy slide, as transitions to each slide would be imperceptible.    

Then, the last digit in the sequence would take one to the slide with the "go" button activated to either start another show or go to yet another slide which would be the starting point for the show.    

If this doesn't work, we can discuss it in more detail at Davey Byrnes next week.   :)

Hi Al,

Many thanks for the reply, - I have already tried out a 10 Button PTE (Object Editor) algorithm, which works great - but still requires "Mouse selection" or "Keyboard arrows"

for activation. Also my proposer does not want the System to 'auto-run' nor 'auto-loop'.

What I am trying to do:- (a) Dump the PC.Keyboard, and (B) Dump the Mouse-

The reason being to prevent un-authorised access to the PC or Dumb Terminal and make

the Auto-Presenter 'childproof' and for that matter 'idiot & vandal-proof'.

Providing a simple Numeric Keypad (IBM Code) connected in place of the standard

PC. Keyboard and bolted on to a counter would provide very high security but with limited

access to the System but sufficient enough to run any Slide as a "one-shot" then return

to a Main Menu.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting you next week and we can trash the idea around.

Thanks again Al,

Brian Kelly.Conflow.

conflow@iol.ie

Hi, Brian,

I was assuming you were referring to Object Editor "buttons".

However, since you are obviously using a monitor, you might be able to wire in a keypad consisting of three buttons as follows:

1) "go left" (with the same action as a keyboard "left" arrow key).

2) "go right" ("right" arrow key).

3) "enter" (same action as a left-mouse-click.

Each of the first few slides would have ten buttons, "0" to "9". The "#1" button on the first slide would be highlighted with a different colour, the "#2" button on the second slide would be highlighted, and so on.

When you press the "go right" button, the show will advance to the next slide, so it will appear that this button is shifting the "focus" from one screen button to the next, and vice versa.

In addition to the "digital" buttons on screen, each slide would have one large invisible button the same size as the screen, programmed such that a left mouse-click ("enter") will advance the show to a specific slide.

When one reaches the button representing the desired digit, "x", one would press "enter", which would then advance the show to the pre-determined slide for that digit, where the action could begin all over again, or else a particular show could commence (by "programming" it to "run external application: 'Show #x.exe', in the "Customize Slide" menu.)

Does this help generate any further brain-waves?

If it does, you owe me a pint on Saturday! B)

Hi Al,

I owe you that 'pint' - Guinness or what ?

I'm looking forward to a good "brain stormer" in Dublin,Sat 19th -

Shuuush..... we might have to send the women shopping or risk

getting 'shot' by them if we go too far with this topic in company.

Well, you know how they are on Holidays, I can't blame them,

I'd say there are a few wry grins on the faces of lady members

of the Forum right now ?

Lets pick it up on Sat 19th. - we hope ! :rolleyes:

See you soon,

Brian Kelly.Dublin.