WnSoft Forums

Making Music - Help required...

ADB

I have decided to take the plunge and have a go making my own music to put my PTE shows to.

Not having played any musical instrument in my life (apart from a recorder at school!) I am really embarking on a huge learning curve.

I am planning to go totally synthesized and use only computer based instruments.

I have dabbled around and tried out some software synthesizers and sequencers and managed to get a very basic understanding of how these work.

What I need now is a guiding hand on putting everything together to make a soundtrack for my PTE productions.

Does any body have any advice or know of any web sites that take you through this journey of "musical discovery"??

There is so much to learn - midi, drum machines, samplers, sequencers, synthesizers

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

On some of the software synthesizers I have trialled I have been incredibly impressed at the atmospheric ambience you can create very easily and I think this type of sound really suits the types of PTE shows I am planning to do.

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards

Hi, Andrew,

You're setting out on a fantastic voyage of discovery! There are so many variables, options, solutions, capabilities, etc., that the learning curve never ends - the trip just keeps on getting better and more fantastic!

Especially today, now that the technology has already advanced so far. But of course, as the technology improves, we always expect more and more from our toys. :)

I have been dabbling in MIDI for around 20 years, and still feel that I have barely cut the surface. Part of the reason for this is that it is so time-consuming that I never took the time to really dig into it and become more proficient at it than I am.

I could make several suggestions (bear in mind these are just suggestions based on my particular experiences, and each one playing around with MIDI probably has a different viewpoint and set of experiences).

1. Since the learning curve is so steep, I would suggest taking a course in digital music production or recording - our own community college offers several really good courses. I finally got around to taking one last winter and found it very helpful. Apart from that, there are numerous good texts around to help you get started. You will probably find, as I did, that the equipment instruction booklets and software manuals are more confusing than they are helpful. If you plan to distribute your music with slide-shows, read up on "mastering" philosophy and techniques to find out how to "fine-tune" your productions.

2. Don't skimp on purchasing second-rate software and equipment - you will be fascinated at first with all that the technology can do, but if it is not giving you top-quality performance, as your requirements become more sophisticated, you will quickly become dissatisfied with it.

IMO, this equipment would include, in order of significance with respect to quality, the following:

- sound card. You may even want to do as I just did and purchase a good quality external USB-2 or firewire sound card. Make sure your sound card has a "line" input and output.

- amplifier/speakers/headphones

- software - go for one of the classical MIDI sequencers such as Cakewalk or Cubase. Sound recording/editing software is also important, and I would recommend either Cool-Edit, Audacity or Cubase in order to provide for user-friendly organization of all the different tracks you will find you need to create, edit, rearrange, and mix together. If you do not already have Cool-Edit, you will need to go for the more professional (and expensive) Audacity (or Cubase - even more expensive).

This software is just as important in sound production as Photoshop or Photo-Paint are in image editing. With some sequencers you will need other software for specific sounds and effects, while other software, such as Cubase, comes equipped with a pretty good repertoire of sound capabilities, and you can even download other free effects and sounds, such as drum-kits, etc. It is not an easy software to learn to use, however.

On the MIDI side of things, it's not enough just to be able to play different instruments. Dynamics and variety are very important. The notes will sound "tinny" if you are not able to "play" with them and add expression to them, where required, such as pitch and volume changes, vibrato, echo, and other special effects. This is similar to using various

- sound module - this is less important now than it was a few years ago, as with the better-quality sound cards and modern software, the MIDI sounds are much better than they were. I can now create better sounds through my Cubase software and pc sound card than I can with my external MIDI sound module. And there is no limit to the number of special software packages you can purchase in order to produce specific sounds (e.g. grand pianos, synthesizers, etc.) or create "new-age" style music.

- mixer - this can come in very handy in helping you control the input signal levels to your sound card, and also in routing and monitoring different sound sources (mic, CD, tape, radio, TV, etc) to your sound card for recording purposes.

- last but not least, a fast modern pc. Some sound people prefer "mac's", but if you are using PTE you will already be in the "pc" world. However, some of the modern sound software will not run (at least not satisfactorily) on a pc with less than Win XP, a fast P4 processor, and 512 Mb of RAM.

3. Brush up on your basic music theory, especially if you want to create some of your own compositions.

4. Purchase a good MIDI keyboard - this doesn't have to be expensive, but it will assist you in entering some of the music (unless you know you do not already have, and are absolutely not prepared to acquire, some basic keyboard skills.) I have almost no skills with the piano, but I still find the electronic keyboard useful. You don't have to have one with a built-in sequencer (your pc and MIDI software will be able to provide that), but just one with keys which will allow you to enter the notes to your pc. It should have "velocity" and "aftertouch" capabilities, though, and a "pitch-bend" wheel will be useful, too.

5. Even though it is very compact, and also compatible with PTE, don't expect to be satisfied with straight MIDI files for slide shows, as it will sound differently on different sound cards. You will have much better results if you first create the MIDI selections, and then record them as digital ".wav" or ".mp3" files for use in PTE. For this, you will need to be able to play the MIDI files and record through your sound recording/editing software simultaneously, something that most good sound cards and software are able to do.

6. Listen to other music and download other people's midi creations to get ideas - as you probably already know, there are all kinds of excellent MIDI web sites on the net.

That's about all I can think of "off the top of my head" - will add to the list if I think of anything else. Hope this doesn't intimidate you, but instead inspires you to dig into sound production on your own and continually search for ways to perfect your productions. Also, hope I haven't bored you with a whole lot of things you already know!

Please feel free to contact me with any specific questions you have, and I will do my best to answer them. Good luck! Will look forward to your first big production! :)

Andrew, I think you've asked the question of the century! :)

A bunch of questions come to mind, like:

1) You say you've never played an instrument. Are you familiar with music (other than as listener)? Do you sing? Do you know what meter, key signature, rhythm, pitch mean?

2) Do you have ideas for "songs"? How do you express them?

3) Can you read music? Can you write music notation?

I would rate myself a "pretty good musician" (not an expert, not a professional, not for hire), and my opinion is the software/hardware is the last thing on the list. You can have all the software in the world and if you don't understand the structure of chords, meter, key, etc., it won't do you much good. And "liking to listen to music" is, unfortunately, not a sufficient qualitifcation.

Not to say you can't learn. I'm not trying to discourage you. But I think it will be hard for anyone offer much of an opinion as to how to proceed without knowing a bit more about you and your background.

One thing I can offer is a free notation program. Check out NotePad, from

http://www.finalemusic.com/notepad/index.asp

This is the "little brother" of Finale, one of the best notation programs out there. It's free, and it does "paly back", so you could make a few things and try some different instruments and see if you like it.

If you want to continue this dialog, post again or email me. ;)

Ha! Since I've been composing this (and doing other things <_< ) looks like Al has posted some useful information, as usual.

I'm tempted to just delete this, as Al's answer is much more what you were looking for, I'm sure. But I'll post anyway. B)

David,

I'm glad you posted your answer too, as it covers the ground from the point of view of a musician - some musical ability is perhaps the most important ingredient in successfully composing music. Your questions and advice are very appropriate.

However, since Andrew says he has some experience with synthesizers, I assumed that he has "broken the ice" with MIDI enough to know something of the difficulties and since he says he used to play the recorder, I also assumed that he has some basic knowledge of music and music notation, so my reply concentrated mainly on the technical hardware and software considerations.

Your reply prompts me to confirm the advice you gave in that, even though I feel I have a fairly good knowledge of music theory, I am finding it extremely difficult in coming up with "original" (copyright-free), "non-hokey" (professional sounding) musical compositions, suitable for AV backgrounds.

Together, we should be able to help Andrew at least get started in this exciting activity. The rest will be up to him. :)

Al & David

Thank you very much for your detailed posts. There is a lot to take in and lots to learn but your comments have been very helpfull.

In essence I'm not really trying to go out and make traditional music as such, really my aim is more of a background ambience totally in tune to the images of the slideshow, more like a film soundtrack to something along the lines of "Rabbit Proof Fence"

Even though I have never studied music I do have an ear for it, I'll often hear a tune on a movie and it will stay in my head and I will be able to reproduce it in a basic style on the PC but it is very basic.

The music I plan to make will be less rather than more and subtle hopefully complimenting the images.

So off I go on my voyage of discovery but don't hold your breath for my first production as it appears I have to learn a lot between now and then!

Thanks again

Andrew, knowing a little more about what you hope to achieve, I'd say forget the notation software I suggested. You don't need "notes". No one else is going to play it. You don't need to write it down, from what I understand.

So Notepad may be interesting in your journey, but a good sequencer like Cakewalk (I think in the newest release the name changed to Sonar, but they might be different products) will be more helpful. So read Al's recommendations again! :D

I thank you too David and Al. Myself, I would not have the courage to ask such a question! (But, Andrew, I think you are one who can probably accomplish your desire.) I think the answers given are very valuable to many of us. I hope any follow up on the subject will not be taken off-board. Because when it is here, many can benefit from both the questions and the answers.

My first computer, Commodore 64, was chosen for the sound (chip?) capability. The first software I actually purchased for PC was Adlib and their soundcard. I remember being at Comdex and trying to decide between Sound Blaster and Adlib. I decided Adlib sounded better and would be better for music vs Sound Blaster that I felt was more novelty and games. :lol: Well, I am curious whether anyone who reads this even remembers Adlib and we all know what Sound Blaster has become. Meanwhile, as PC's have facilitated my photographic interests, self-made music has been sifted lower on the long list of fun things to do.

Good luck Andrew, and yes we will look forward to hearing your sounds and your reports if you will share.

Have found this really helpful site

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Basically takes you by the hand and walks you through making your own music step by by step, covering (as far as I can see) almost everything!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Lumenlux however I don't think I realized the enormity of what I am trying to achieve when I first went down this path, I also didn't count on how much it would consume me either!

But what you say is quite true it is very hard to do both the Images and the Muisc in terms of finding the time but hopefully ultimately rewarding!