WnSoft Forums

Does SVCD need to be converted to play

mommyrn

I don't know if I'm missing a step, but I got my exe to burn and play (CD-R) on my PC. I would like to be able to put it in a DVD player and went through the steps outlined at the start of all this. I did the whole AVI/SVCD/Interlace thing and got a file that said "video" at the end (SVCD). I then burned it onto a CD-R, but when I stick it in the player it looks blank.

It said something about "Converting and burning AVI video file into DVD-Video disc"... but I do not have a DVD burner nor do I have anything beyond Roxio (basic) burning software.

Am I missing something?

Shelley

your burning softwware must be capable of preparing a dvd.

vcd's and svcd are lower forms of the dvd format and depending on the size , will fit on a cr-r.

you do not need a dvd burner for this step

the avi created by p2e is only a temporary file and will not play if it is put on a cd -- it must go thru the authoring software -- and if you do not have the platinum or full roxio suite you will not be able to create a svcd -- your version must have the dvd builder portion

the software makers are like the auto mfg's in the 1950"s when you had to order turn signals and the heater separately -- software that comes bundled is bare bones and will do very little.

ken

Hi Shelly,

I wanted to do the same thing just the other week and didn't really know where to start, but after some research (thanks to this forum for some pointers) I found a way to do it for free for 30 days anyway while I play around (I'm going to have buy something soon because now I'm hooked on putting my digital pictures on SVCD :) )

You need to first convert the temp AVI file that is produced by P2E to an MPEG file, you can do this with a shareware application called TMPG (Download from www.tmpgenc.net . You can use this program for 30 days.

You then need some software to burn the MPEG file as a VCD or SVCD or even a DVD, I found a very nice application called VCDEasy. You can get it from www.vcdeasy.org I'm not sure what limits there are on the trial version but I've managed to create a few SVCD's with it just fine.

The best way to go would be buying a program that will do both steps for you (that's where I'll end up) but for a bit of fun and to see the results these two are worth a look.

Hope this helps and good luck, I'm sure you'll be hooked on making VCD's before long.

Regards,

Dan

Thanks Dan and Ken,

I do have a couple questions though...

1) How come I can't just skip the AVI to MPEG step and convert AVI straight to SVCD? I thought I found some software that would do it. http://www.boilsoft.com/aviconverter/

or

http://www.avi-to-dvd.net/avi-to-svcd.shtml

2) Do I need to burn to a DVD-R? (I think Ken sounded like CD-R could work.)

Does that make sense?

Thanks Again!

Shelley

2) Do I need to burn to a DVD-R? (I think Ken sounded like CD-R could work.)
but I do not have a DVD burner nor do I have anything beyond Roxio (basic) burning software.

if the svcd is not too big , cdr's are generally put on a dvd -- and you do not have a dvd burner

1) How come I can't just skip the AVI to MPEG step and convert AVI straight to SVCD? I thought I found some software that would do it.

try it and see - you will only be out time and a cdr disk then you can tell us how you made out

and the best for last

You will be able to advise the next person that is just getting their feet wet in this game :)

ken

Hi Shelley,

Looks like both of these programs will be fine for what you want but it still looks like a two step process, they don't appear to do the "Burn to CD-r" part of the process, they look to me as if they are just "Converting" the AVI to a VCD or SVCD format, a bit like the AVI to MPEG step I talked about.

As Ken said, give it a go and let us know how you get on, I'd be interested in your findings!

Regards,

Dan