WnSoft Forums

Ideal Picture size

stonemason

Also if you want to project the show then the slide should be 1027 pixels across the top. I then let aspect ratio deside the drop. But check that all images in the show are of the same size, or they will look arkward on the screen,

Alan

Example:

for "Oxygen", the size is 1280x1024 and the compression near 51% (from 80ko to 320ko).

If you want a good display for the eyes on a screen, from 1024 to 1280 is a good choice.

If you want to project, the best is 1024x768 (video-projector resolution) with a compression near 80 to 85%.

I crop my images in the ratio 4:3 and resize to 1024 pixels width and as Alan says allowing the Aspect Ratio to change the height to 768 pixels. The 4:3 ratio fills my monitor screen and makes full use of the height and width from my digital projector. Alan says 1027 pixels width but maybe that is a typing error. 1024x768 is a standard display setting.

Ron [uK]

Hi, two years ago I have asked to Nikon, which resolution is the best for scanning slides.

They have answered me, that, if I want to view the scanned images with a beamer, I have to take the resolution of the beamer, multiplied with the factor 1.5. So there will be no moiree-effect.

T.

which resolution is the best for scanning slides.

They have answered me, that, if I want to view the scanned images with a beamer, I have to take the resolution of the beamer, multiplied with the factor 1.5. So there will be no moiree-effect.

I have never heard this before. Would this apply only to scanned images as opposed to digital camera originals?

Moire Effects

Yes, I have had the 'Moire Effect' problem with "Scanned Images" from Film Photographs.

It's particularily nasty when you re-size a Photo up or down by an exact ISO multiple of the

origional and then make 'slight adjustments' to the re-sized copy.

Example: Assume the origional Photo was scanned and was over 1024x768 pixels and you

adjusted that to be 1024x768 exactly.

Now if you downsize that with a 'Photo Editor' to 800x600 pixels you have a 95% certainty

of getting Moire Effect in the 800x600 image.

The problem arise with the Photo Editors because they are not designed to be "lossless"

nor do they give an ISO Standard "borderless image" cut precisely to the JPeg Standard.

The "JPeg Club" (Joint Picture Engineering Group Club) have an excellent freeware cutter

which does the job properly. Author: Guidio.

I have used this on many occassions and never had an incidence of Moire effect.

Brian @ Conflow.

for moire probs

see Wayne Fulton's

www.scantips.com

http://www.scantips.com/search/search.pl?T...atch=1&p%3Apm=1

i also think that Geo commented on the moire effect one time

http://www.gdesroches.com/formation/liste.htm

http://www.gdesroches.com/formation/fnumerscanner.htm

Maybe George will jump in here with an english translation

also see moire

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8...le+Search&meta=

basically scan real big -- save as a tiff and resize the tiff resaving as a jpg to the desired size

to minimize the moire effect when i scan an 8x10 i set my microtek software at 300 dpi - the resulting tiff is +- 25 mb then resized and save as a jpg at 800/600 80% compression the pict is +- 150 kb

the moire effect has been been discussed many times onm the forum

see

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...te=moire+effect

ken

i also think that Geo commented on the moire effect one time

http://www.gdesroches.com/formation/liste.htm

http://www.gdesroches.com/formation/fnumerscanner.htm

Maybe George will jump in here with an english translation

Thanks, Ken, for referring to my pages, but these have not been translated and I would't advise to use any of the automatic translation tools as the results are dreadful :(

The only pages of my website which are well translated are here, but they will not fully correspond to the original question.

What is the ideal picture size for PTE slide shows balancing exe file size against quality? any help or info would be appreciated

There is no 'ideal' picture size as this entirely depends on the device used for viewing ! As fo the 'weight', it depends also on the 'power' of the processor; but it's pretty safe to have images whose individual 'weight' is around 300 kb.

Nevertheless, I would advise to use a 1024 basis (x 768 or x 683 depending on the image ratio) as this size will fit most of the screen resolutions used nowadays and all video projectors (beamers) in the semi-pro class (XGA resolution). If it is for personal use, then use the resolution of your screen/graphic output device; but if it is for 'sharing' - i.e. for distribution to many different people, then a 1024 basis is much safer.

As concerns moire effects, these mainly, if not only, affect prints with offset printers because of the different angles of the grid (not sure of the correct word, sorry I'm French !) used for the different colours. It very rarely affects images on a monitor or projected through a beamer. Anyway, to be almost sure to avoid any of such moire problems, the best way I know is to scale the images using a :16 factor (in other words, the final size should be divisible by 16). This advice applies not only for avoiding moire problem, but mainly to obtain the best quality in JPEG compression.

(Oh, by the way, JPEG stands in fact for "Joint Photographic Experts Group").

Sorry again for my English but, as said before, I'm French :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

A picture size of 1024 x 768 pixels is fine if you intend your pictures to fill the screen. However, most photographs will look much better if presented with a small line around the edges and then displayed with a textured border on the monitor screen. e.g. on a monitor display of 1024 x 768 size your slide to say, 800 x 600 and stroke a white line around it's edge and show this on a black background. It will look better! Try it and see.

Ron West

following is a quote from Lockergnome re sizing in powerpoint -- it may be applicable to the topic

ken

PowerPoint presentations can become very large when you are inserting images into the slides. One option you have to get around this problem is to manually convert all the graphics to a more compressed file type such as a JPG.

An even easier method is to have PowerPoint take care of this for you. Once you have your presentation open, click View, point to Toolbars, and place a check beside Pictures. The Picture toolbar will appear in your presentation. On this toolbar there is a button called Compress Pictures. If you click on this button, the Compress Pictures dialog box will appear.

Under the Apply to section, you can select which pictures you want to compress. You can compress selected pictures or you can compress all pictures in the presentation. You can also change the resolution of the pictures. The resolution for Web/Screen is 96dpi and 200 dpi for the Print option. You can also have the cropped areas of pictured deleted (in case you didn’t know, the cropped area of pictures is usually just hidden, not deleted).

Lockergnome's Windows