WnSoft Forums

Why won't p2e open?

agriffin

Hi! I'm brand new and just bought p2e. I've made my first slide show and want to give it to my portrait client on a CD. I've created it, saved it, burned it and now I can't get it to open via the CD. The message says, "illegal instruction" etc. and it won't let me click on "Ignore." I have to "cancel." What am I doing wrong? Your kind help will be much appreciated. Thanks. :( Anne

When you created the .exe file, did you save it on your machine? If so, does it run OK from your machine? Can you test it on another pc? (If you don't have one, you could email it to me to test for you).

These questions won't necessarily solve the problem but should narrown-down the range of suspects.

Roger, I can't believe you're in York! I ate the very best fish and chips there a long time ago! I think they caught the cod, kept him on the hook and flung him right into the fryer. :lol: The fish was so fresh!

Yes, I've saved it and it runs perfectly on my machine.

Thank you for trying to help me. What's next? Anne

Is it possible you saved the .pte file to the cd rather than the .exe file?

They are likely to have the same name except for the file extension. You can check by using explorer to located the file on the cd and if the file extension is not shown click on Tools then folder options then the tab "View" and untick the item "Hide extensions for known file types". This will show the full file name with the file extension.

Paul

Thanks to all of you for your help. I'm so untechnical I'll have to think awhile about all the solutions, but I will figure this out!

Roger, not sure where the fish and chips place was, but it was GOOD! But you have to understand that we are used to Long John Silver's over here and trust me, it isn't even close to what you have.

Anne

Hi Anne,

is there a possibility that your anti virus/ firewall is blocking the exe file from running from the CD? The word illegal, tends to point to these things.

Also the other night I was running a programme which needs to access a CD, I for got to close it and used the drive to test a cd I had just burned, lo and behold! "illegal operation" and "cannot find the .dll thingy" popped up. It was looking for the other programme on the burned disc. This was because the programme takes uver the drive until the programme is closed.

One more thing, do you think we need a "good food" section on this forum? :D

Best wishes,

Alan

Hi everyone, I am a very new, very non techie user. I have made my first presentation and burned it to CD. Now I cannot open it. I get a message actually listing all the file names ( of each photo) but the message says that the files cannot be found! I am given no choice but to click OK. The presenation shows as having been burned successfully.

Can anyone help me?

Also, I left the original presentation open on the PC for some time and now the preview will not work.

I am so excited by this software and getting frustrated that I cannot show my pictures from my recent holiday in India.

Shirley

I'm pretty sure that what you have done is to burn the "production show" i.e. the one with the suffix .pte, on to your cd. This is not the "real" show, simply an instruction list for the pte program to reconstruct it from your original files. The list you got is the clue to this. The program is trying to reconstruct the show and can't find the files on the cd (because they're not there, they're still on your hard drive presumably).

The solution is simple so long as you still have the original files. Redo the show in pte and, when it's ready, be sure to use "File - Create Slideshow As" to convert the pte show into a self-contained slideshow (you can tell the difference because this will have the .exe suffix). It's this file that you need to put on the cd or whatever.

Think of the .pte file as a recipe, and the .exe file as the completed dish of the day!

Good luck with this great product - without doubt the best value for money on the market.

When you say "the program", do you mean PTE?

It might be worth trying a small new project. (Click File - New - New Project). Just put two or three pictures in & see what happens.

If you think it might help, email me with more details & I'll see if we can sort this out together.

Good luck.