WnSoft Forums

You also need to be a photographer!

Ronniebootwest

B) Glad to hear from you Barry - I knew you'd talk a lot of sense on this.

I've noticed that using digital makes people take more pictures and be selective about them. This must be a good thing.

Add PTE to the mix & you get a powerful motivating and learning tool. I find that many shows are more than the sum of their parts (in my trade this is called "synergy").

When I do camera club talks on digital manipulation (ie Photoshop or Photoshop Elements) I always try to stir things up a bit by asking what people do with their pictures. I make prints for competitions - some go into competitions, some get sold, some end up on my walls, most get stored away. My slides are all catalogued and stored away. But the images I've made into PTE shows get looked at, over and over again.

So regardless of whether we can make award winning av's, this technology makes it a lot easier to enjoy our images and to share this enjoyment with others.

Long live PTE!

Barrie and Robert and Roger and others,

Well said, all of you! :)

And for those submitting shows to competitions, it's comforting to remember that the judges are not always right. (does that sound a bit like sour grapes? Probably! :) )

But isn't AV wonderful? There's something in it for everyone. And digital technology, by taking a lot of the 'drudgery' associated with the preparation of older-technology analogue shows, and at the same time giving us so many new interesting features and capabilities, is making AV even more enjoyable, even thought the quality of projection may not yet be up to the same standard as that which we are used to with the older 35-mm transparency projection. But this will come in good time, I'm sure.

Hi All,

Just a brief word on competitions and all that. Competitions are a good way to have your work assessed both technically and creatively. But as Barry hinted, we must make shows just to get by a judge.

The show must stand on it's own merits and not be a slave to the latest fads ot opinions of a judging pannel. Good is good regardless.

The highest acolade I ever recived for a show was not in competition but at a show in a local church. I showed a sequence on the Irish National War Memorial, which because of our recent troubles had not seen a parade for some time.

At the end of the show an elderly lady came over to me and said "My late husband was the last man to lay a wreath at the Great Cross. Thank you for reminding me of that"

You wont get things like that on a medal or certificate.

On Barry's note on the difference between digital and film AV, the only difference I see is the endless options we have to fade/ disolve/ transisition, but if these are used just because they are there, then where does that leave the original idea which launched the show in the first place?

Alan

I want to appologize for my English first of all, especially my spelling. I was verry ill the day we had spelling at school.

I am a bit scarred to say it but I am a so called professional photographer. I work at a university as the photographer responsible for all photographic needs. Be it for promotional purposes or research. You can believe me when I say I do enjoy being paid to practice my hobby. One thing I have learned in all the years I have been a paid photographer (30 this year) is that the moment you think you know it all you end up with fixer in you face!

I see the AV's and photography as an art form an believe it should be treated as such. I hardly ever hear people rating art in a gallery the way we do with photography. Perhaps we sould stop looking for a deeper meaning in some photo's than that which is presented to us. Enjoy the scene!

A year or two ago a person at the local photo club wanted to know from me if I would have been able to produce the kind of photo's I do if I was not working where I do. A photograph is after all first made in your head. I you do not have the ability to "see" a photo then it will only take you longer to acieve your goal. Perhaps the same is true for AV's , just photograph what you see in your mind and put it together. It is not always the movies which win the Oscar which touch you and you only.

And after all if you enjoyed doing it and you get ONE good responce you have achieved your goal.

Barry is a good photographer, better than most of us. The best part is that he shares his knowledge and he is modest.

A spell check would have been nice!!