WnSoft Forums

Unable to create avi file.

senns

I've been using PTE for a few weeks now, and purchased the product. I have successfully created two nice slide shows with music, and burned to both SVCD and DVD. No problems at all, burning with standard software that came with the HP DVD burner. Very nice, and easy to use program!

Now I am now trying to create a much larger slide show (285 images approx 350k each), with no audio track. The slide show can be created, previewed, and viewed as .exe with no problems. However, when hitting 'Video'->'Create AVI', a window appears asking for filename, quickly followed by 'Finish', with no avi created. Not even an empty shell file of the selected filename is created.

A quick check and search of this forum did not uncover any similar complaints.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

With some further experimenting, it appears that avi's cannot be created without an audio track. Probably obvious to most, but not to me. I assumed 'dead air' would automatically fill the audio track if no music was selected. I ended up creating a short 'dead air.wav' file, and will test with that. At least the avi is created now.

Sens:

You might be better off posting this in the DVD forum. See:

DVD forum

But I can tell you that I experienced the same thing and was told that the .avi file created is a temp file that disappears when you hit "finished".

It is used as source in the making of the DVD file

I know it was there as I clicked on, and watched, the .avi file before clicking on the FINISHED button after which it was no longer there.

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. A fellow Canuck! I'm from Kitchener, Ontario!

I did manage to create avi's, but am still not clear on this 'Finish' button business. What happens when the 'Finish' button is pressed? Why can't I save those avi's for later processing/merging into one dvd image later?

I thought I could just copy the avi file prior to hitting the 'Finish' button, and save it, but when viewed later, the video portion is gone. I have since read that others open multiple instances of PTE, with each sitting at the 'Finish' button step, and then create the DVD. This seems quite odd to me, and I am hoping there is a better way.

Now that I am past the first hurdle of creating avi's, I'll post further questions to the DVD area of the forum.

Thanks again,

Roger.

well fellow Canadian Roger welcome to the forum

if you read

How to prepare and burn DVD-Video or SVCD disc, Quick tutorial

at

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...t=ST&f=4&t=1408

it explains the finish feature

and

Video Temporary files, Why are files temporary?

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...t=ST&f=4&t=2689

answers the second question

ken

Ken,

I have read through those referenced documents. Thanks for taking the time to point them out!

Those temporary files still confuse me, as I thought by switching out to windows prior to hitting 'Finish', I could grab copies of them and save them for later use. This apparently does not work for whatever reason. I am now following one of the options mentioned, whereby custom AVI's are created. This is all quite confusing for a newbie like myself, as the custom AVI function produces list boxes full of audio and video codecs to use. I am concerned about quality, and will burn to a DVD when completed, so hopefully my DivX choice was adequate.

My present project involves creating a slideshow DVD for my parents, with in total probably 1000 pictures. It is broken down into about 8 pieces, and my hope is to author a DVD that will allow them to jump to individual sections via chaptering, or simply watch the whole thing. We tried just putting jpg's on a CD-R, but the quality was poor on their DVD/TV combo. Given my wife is now making slideshows of her photography using PTE, I thought I'd try using it to create the DVD. It is certainly overwhelming at first... Choice of media, format, authoring, chaptering, conversions, inversions, subversions... In the end I hope a playable DVD results.

As far as my initial question goes, it appears that PTE will not create avi's until an audio file has been selected. That bit, if not already present in the documentation (I didn't see it mentioned anywhere) could be added to help out the next fellow.

OK, 47% thru Brisbane, just Sydney, Melbourne, and the Cook Islands to go!

Cheers,

Roger

well you cant make an avi file using midi either because a midi is computer music

and

I dont know how we can explain the temp avi file any better than Igor explained it in one of the threads i gave you

we were all in the same situation a year ago - we all started from scratch in the avi feature

Ken

I dont know how we can explain the temp avi file any better than Igor explained it in one of the threads i gave you

I really doubt the explanation is at fault! I suspect it's my comprehension of the explanation that is the problem. This field is very new to me, and doesn't crossover much with my areas of expertise. I may also be biting off more than I can chew at this point. Time will tell. I'm nearly done the avi generation step now, and might still burn a DVD tonight.

BTW, the smaller slide shows my wife created and put to music look great. I've burned both SVCD and DVD's, and we're very happy with the results. The software is amazingly easy to use for those applications.

I appreciate the patience!

Roger.

An update... The DVD exercise of last night worked well. The disk plays in our player just fine, and the image quality is good. There is slight flickering visible in a couple of the pictures, but nothing serious. I'll burn another with chaptering details tonight, and the project should be done.

Settings I used:

Custom AVI output from PTE

- Audio Codec - MPEG Layer 3, 8Kbit/s, 8000 Hz, Mono

- Video Codec - DivX 5.1.1

Used ArcSoft ShowBiz2 (came with the HP burner) to burn the DVD.

Thanks to all,

Roger.