WnSoft Forums

Need help uploading to website

hagmancc

Help? Is anybody out there?

I've created a slideshow which I want to upload to my website. I'm using Frontpage (going to "Insert Web Component," "Advanced Controls," and "Plug In." Then using my browser to find the show.

I use Ipswitch to upload to my Dreamhost server. Dreamhost suggested I try using a zip file instead of the .exe extension. Tried that. Also tried doing it with a .pte extension. Nothing has worked. All I get is the blank page on my site. Will give my site address. The slideshow is on the "Seniors" page.

Would be very grateful is anyone can point me in the right direction. I'm running out of ideas and becoming very frustrated. The show runs fine from CD so I know it's working. Just don't know what to do to get it on my site and know my senior (photo) clients would love the show.

Thanks very much!

connie

www.hagmanphoto-graphicart.com

connie

welcome to the forum

dont think you can run an exe from a web page

other people have uploaded to "the cottage" for others to access

http://beechbrook.com/pte/

http://beechbrook.com/upload/

or they have put slideshows in their yahoo briefcase for others to access

or

for short term

http://www.dropload.com/

I did find this link tho which might help

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid...d=989723&page=1

ken

I was originally "introduced" to PicturesToExe by Barry Beckham in his columns and CD's with Digital Photo out of the UK. Barry uses several great shows on his site. See www.barrybeckham.co.uk

Can't believe it would be different in the UK.

Am still searching for the solution.

Thanks!

Connie

PS: Barry suggested it was the .exe extension and I should try using a zip file...which doesn't work either.

Connie,

What shows are you referring to on Barry's site that you can run “directly” from his website?

You can't run .zip or .exe files via a website. You must use another applications to 'simulate' the appearance of a show running.

Regards,

Bill :D

Guest Techman1

Connie,

As Bill says, you can not run the executable (.exe) directly from your web site. You can however offer the ability to allow a download of the .exe file so others can view your Seniors work. I went to your site and you already have the file there, but your HTML code isn't allowing someone to automatically download. Right now your Senior page is pointing to:

www.hagmanphoto-graphicart.com\SeniorShow.htm

Your actual file has been uploaded to your site as "SeniorShow.htm.exe". If someone types the following link, they can download your file:

www.hagmanphoto-graphicart.com\SeniorShow.htm.exe

You can change your site to allow downloading or if you check Granot's (Boxig) site, he has a PTE to HTML program that I belive allows for this. You can check his programs or post a note to him. He is very active in the forum and always extremely helpful.

Good luck, I hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Fred

Viewing a show on a web page is not simple but can be done. There are many problems and I don't recommend this for big files. The best way is probably using Streaming Video. To read all about it go to: this page.

My utilities are mostly related to CD autoplay, for example: if you want to distribute your video on a CD and you want it to be autoplay on insert CD without the need to open user's default video player (like Windows Media Player), or if you want to imediately run your video on full screen when CD is inserted.

Granot

If you want others to see your work then the best way by far, is to upload to Beechbrook cottage and then your friends and colleagues will be able to download the 'zipped .exe' of your show from there. Here is the link: Here

If you want to make an CD to send to others by post, then I can recommend the small program made by Granot called, 'AutorunCD'. You can download this utility from: Here

Ron

Thanks for the link Fred. I downloaded the file and was glad that I did. What a superb illustration of portrait photography. Thank you Connie.

Ron [uK]

As far as I’m aware if you upload your file as either .zip or .exe just as you would an image, all you need to do is put a link to that file direct, not a web page. This should then open the download box giving your visitors the option to either view or save the file (if it's .exe, save only if it's .zip).

PTE on the WEB

Hi Connie,

Simple answer to your query - yes it is 'do-able' - there are many examples on the Web such as 'Web Cams' and 'Video Clips' and 'Full Feature Films' - all which can be viewed "OFF WEB" by any decent PC with a 'Multi-Media Player' such as Windows Media Player 9 or 10.Other examples are 'Real Player' and 'Quick-Time Player' - probably the best Player.

You need to convert your Show into an 'AVI File' (PTE does that) then the next best step is to convert that into 'S-Video' and see will your 'Server People' accept that for uploading ?

Most modern Computers have an 'S-Video Graphics Card' made by Nvidia. The output of this can be piped directly to the 'Skart Socket' on most stamdard TV Sets and large 'Flat Panel TV's' and recorded onto VTR Tape. The Graphics Card does all the 'rendering' and conversion to 'S-Video'. As a general rule a 10 second Clip will be about 6mB in size.

Any of the 'Video Forums' will help you with this exciting Project.

Good Luck with it.

Brian.Conflow.