WnSoft Forums

Backup errors

d67

Hello the PTE community

As I incidentally found a photo backed up on a DVD with abnormalities (strange colored lines), I tested a few of my backup DVD's and found then errors making some photos unusable. :angry:

Since this discovery I systematically check the CRC (checksum) of my original photos and compare the results with the CRC of the backed up photos.

For this purpose I use a little free software (CRC french program but intuitive to handle).

I found an error frequence of about 0.5 to 1 % (very slight changes to big abnormalities) which is not sensible with environmental conditions (with or without running programs during the backup sequence, external or internal hard drive, CD + hard drive to DVD, etc...). :(

With the help of the CRC software I immediately know what photos have problems and I reburn them twice on the same DVD (with a little change in their name) to have a faultless DVD :unsure:

My question :

- Do you systematically check the quality of you DVD's ? / How and with wich software if so ?

- Do you find the same problem ? / Did you find a solution if so and what is that solution ?

DVD burner Pionneer DVD RW DVR-107D

Burning software Nero Burning Rom

Sony or TDK DVD's

Burning at 1 X

Be indulgent for my written english

Hi, Patrick,

Thanks very much for the information. That sounds like a useful utility.

I have noticed strange stripes across my images from time to time (more so with the old CD burner than the new one), so I know what you are referring to. It can be very annoying!

Thanks for the tip - it would be worth following up on this. :)