WnSoft Forums

how to ensure large images

deannalr

I am going to be training a bunch of photographers on pictures to exe in a few days. I know how to use it well, but in anticipating their questions, realize that I am not in good control of pre-editing pictures to make sure they are as full screen as possible. My images are using only the central portion of the screen, and I have resaved them multiple times in photoshop trying to get the best pixel size and maximize the monitor real estate. Any tips here? I couldn't spot an easy answer in help or the tutorials or these posts.

If this is a newbie question, I do apologize!

Thank you!

Welcome Deannalr!

If your images use "only the central portion of the screen", this means that their size in pixels is less than the resolution of your monitor (usually 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024). The Ken's advice is right if you want at all costs to fill the screen , but - as you can easily see with a little test - the image quality does severely decrease.

If you want the best quality, you must start with pictures at least as large as your screen, and (preferably) resize them to screen resolution with Photoshop, to avoid an excessive CPU usage during your show.

jpg size comparison

10:13 AM 2/25/2005

using Irfanview to run this test -- it gives one all the information needed and does it quickly

starting file was 1 mb disk space - dimension was 2048/1526

saved as jpg 50% compression 136 kb

80% compression 272 kb

starting file was 1 mb disk space - dimension was 2048/1526

resize to 1280/ 960 80% compression 126 kb

resize original to 1024/768 80 % compression 93 kb

resize original to 800/600 80 % compression 66 kb

ken

I see...the beauty of this is the show will be played on many laptops of varying sizes and quality--and all professional photographers judging my images!

But I am sure if I do a combination of the two things--make them big enough for my 20 inch monitor, then do the "full screen," they should pass muster.

I am so impressed by how quickly you guys replied! Wow!

Hopefully we will have a new cache of pics to exe fans by the end of that night.

Thank you!

Deanna

Deanna

p2e will resize "large" picts to fit screen

i see a possible problem looming and we have seen this problem many times

hopefully Brian "conflow" is on so he can qualify my remarks -- he has answered it so many times

are you going to give each laptop owner a cd with the exe

or are you going to paste it on to the hd drive of each

so many times we hear " it runs on this machine but not on that machine" WHY??????

ken

I always find it easier to simply ask my viewers to 'Change the resolution of the screen' to match the size of the screen on which I made the show.

i.e. I make at screen reolution of 1024 X 768 and ask them to adjust theirs accordingly.