WnSoft Forums

Buttons Don't Work

Steve S

Has anyone had come across this problem before and worked out how to fix it?

I’m using ver 4.3 and I’m finding that my mouse buttons don’t work during a presentation when Custom Syncronizsation is enabled. This means that I can’t use any of the object buttons, which is annoying me.

I tried a range of object buttons with different functions.

I tried using the mouse buttons set at default values in Project Options > Advanced.

I tried using the mouse buttons set to custom functions in Project Options > Advanced.

I tried a selection of music files in different formats.

None of these conditions allowed the mouse buttons to work. :(

If the Custom Syncronization is not enabled everything works fine. :D

I’m puzzled. :blink:

Can anyone help?

Steve.

Steve:

Maybe I missed something, as I trust Guido more than myself <grin> , but I just tried a custom synched show that I have and all I did was use "always show mouse cursor" in the ADVANCED and the mouse arrow stayed on the screen.

(I had expected that I might have to go with "PERMIT CONTROL of the SHOW" to get it working, but no)

There weren't any OBJECTS in my show so I didn't do a full test for you, but at least my cursor showed.

I am using 4.31

I have tried one of my introductory sequences which has hidden buttons (no bounding lines visible) and these worked satisfactorily. I unchecked "Permit control of show" and the buttons didn't work. My mouse cursor is set to hide after 2 seconds.

Ron [uK]

Way to go Ron!

You've nailed it, I had missed out the Permit Control Of Show checkbox. Thanks, I'd almost pulled out all of my hair, and what's left is precious to me. :lol:

How have you managed to construct hidden buttons? The best I can do is end up with a white outline by making the fill transparent. Which only really works on a white background.

Steve.

Steve

I create coloured squares or rectangles in Photoshop, using File>New and completing the details in the drop down window. Bearing in mind that I use 1024x768 format, I can judge the sizes of the buttons that I want. For instance I have a square 100 pixels by 100 pixels and a rectangle 500 pixels width by 40 pixels height. I save them with titles Invisible 100.100 and Invisible 500.40 respectively and keep them all in a special folder.

To use them in PTE>Object Editor, click on the Picture button top left and call up the size "Button" that you want. Position it over the spot in the image where you want it, right click, select Properties, check Transparent Background and away you go.

If you want more than one of these buttons for the particular action, before you make it transparent right click on the button and select Copy. Hold the Ctrl key down then press the number of times you want the extra buttons and the Objects window top left will count up. The extra buttons will be stacked on top of the original button and you just drag them over from there to wherever you want them.

Thanks for asking me this question. I gleaned the idea it from Ian and Keith. I offered it to another member of the Forum in a previous thread but it was declined.

Ron [uK]

Ron,

That makes sense to me. You are obviously making use of the highlighted relief effect edge that remains when the background is transparent to give your rectangle button a 3D effect. Thanks.

What would be really neat is if the edges could also be made transparent. This would then allow a “button” to be designed in Photoshop of any shape or form, with a fully transparent Object Button dropped over it. The design potential for navigation panels would then be immensely enhanced. Perhaps this will come in a future version.

Steve.

Steve

The method I use does not have highlighted relief edges but is a plain square or rectangle with no bounding edges, that is why I have put the word "button" in parenthesis as it is not a button as you might imagine but a plain image. I hope my explanation clarifies the method. Good Luck.

Ron [uK]

Lumenlux,

Following on from Ron’s info and having a play with the “Psuedo Button” idea it is very simple to apply.

First create you navigation panel, I used Photoshop, and save it as an image. You will also need to create images of solid colour of a size and shape to cover the parts of the navigation panel image that you want to act as buttons.

Open P2E and create a slide with the navigation panel image. Now import the solid colour images as required. Place each one over the main graphic where you want your buttons to be. Right click and assign the action you want, and also select transparency. This now give you an apparent button just where you want it on you navigation panel.

There’s an example of one I’ve put together to demonstrate how I’m using this feature HERE.

Steve.

Thanks Steve for trying it out and giving your findings for Lumenlux. I did upload "Intro Demo" to the Beechbrook site a couple of years ago, which demonstrates one way of using them, but there is only a written explanation at the end which explains about the hidden "buttons" beneath the images. An intro which I have used recently consists of portraits of club members around the club logo under each of which is an invisible "button" linking to their particular sequence.

Ron [uK]