WnSoft Forums

How to avoid copyright copies

momoftwo

when you make the show, set it so it only plays for x # of days -project options/advanced screen - then when you give out the exe on a cd i think it will only work for that period of time

but if you burn it to dvd i think you are out of luck

I have never tried either but have read about the different methods and copying many times and have added my comments many times -- most recent was

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...9&hl=thumbnails

do a search of the forum -- this has been discussed many times --

ken

Yes, there is another Way....

But it costs a few Dollars...It's an "Installing Packager for Exe Files" and many people on the Forum have seen the one we use, not to be confused with a Zip File !

It works like this, put in the CD and a Program Installation Windows appears..Follow the instructions and it 'parks' a copy of the Slide Show on your PC. under the 'Installer Icon'..this is not the PTE Icon nor the PTE Exe which is 'boxed'up inside the Installer and impossible to get at. The 'Installer' is not dependent on a CD, it can be 'Zipped Up' and sent over the Wires.

Even if you open up the CD and view its Contents all you see is the 'Installer Exe' and its Inf.File and the Dat.File.

Such utilities are available from:- http//www.snapfiles.com Simply type in the Search Window....Program Installers.

Brian.Conflow.

When momoftwo posted this topic I got real excited because I thought that we were about to discover a way of placing some form of 'copy protection' on to the CD's that we create. Sadly the topic has died a death and nobody has come up with an acceptable answer.

I agree with you (momoftwo) there must be a way of protecting our work - but what is it???

Ron West

I should clarify what I'm trying to do.

I understand the expiration options, but that is not applicable in my case.

I am making a prom slideshow for the highschool I shot prom of....

Some of the kids bought slideshows, and once the ones who DIDN'T buy slideshows discover they can just burn a copy for themselves free, I doubt I'll sell many more-

I guess there must not be a solution.

Thanks-

Exactly! It is call 'copy protection' and is very important to anyone who, like yourself, makes promo cd's. There must be a way of encrypting so that a copy cannot be burned - I know that people will always find a way around this protection (just like they did in the old days)

Someone on this forum must have some idea of how this can be done (copy protect I mean) or even point to a web site where software can be found.

I will watch with interest.

Hi Ken!

I read the post made by Brian (Yes there is another way) but it didn't really help because the site link he provided was difficult to navigate because there was so much on it. I have emailed Brian but as yet, have not had a reply.

What we really need is for someone to point us to an ACTUAL piece of software that will do this job of protecting a CD.

Rpm

well i just gioogled and it does not look promising for the average person

see

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=copy+p...ect+cds&spell=1

one has to deal with honest people

years ago i was approached to video hockey tournament's -- i told the organizers i would supply manpower to run cameras,install coax cable in their arena and run a feed to a room where they could make tapes and sell them for X$ per hour -- they thought that was expensive -- i explained that the potential to sell tapes was very slim -- possibly 2 tapes per game -- one to the winner and one to the loser cause i was not so naive to think they would not make copies for other members on the team -=- once i explained the logistics they decided thathey couldn't make any money either :)

-- figure skaters on the on the other hand were more honest when we would tape their carnivals and competitions

ken

Momoftwo,

The answer could be in how you market your presentation.

If you include a customised slide or two making it personal to the high school graduate that is purchasing the CD it will make it less useful to anyone else. Of course there are folk who would rather have this than nothing and will make a copy anyway - but realistically such a person probably wouldn’t be a customer anyway.

However, this does mean that you clients will need to order the presentation, as you will need to prepare each one individually rather than have a pile of standard presentations ready to go.

Steve.

To: Steve

Steve,

Have a look at the thread in the subject 'New Development' where you will find a suggestion

which may answer your 'CD-Copy Piracy' problem.

Brian.Conflow.