WnSoft Forums

Two more PTE questions

Tim Z

I have been using Microsoft's Photo Story 3, and installed the PTE demo hoping for something more robust (better). PS3 has one really nice feature where you can move across or zoom in/out on a photo. This gives the show a "movie" feel and adds a really nice mood to the show. I can't seem to find anything like that in the program. Does PTE have a transition feature like this?

PTE creates a .exe file. Can this .exe file be played on basically every/any computer? Can PTE create MPEG files?

Thanks

t

Tim:

Pan and Zoom are coming soon to PTE I saw a post from IGOR that he hopes to have it available in about 2 months in beta format for us to test to death.

(Personally I am dreading its arrival as I have seen the transition over-used in competing softwares to the extent that the producer is showing off the software not the images and making us all dizzy in the process. Of course PTE producers are much better and we won't see any examples of that when Pan and Zoom is available ;);) )

(Don't get me wrong, pan and zoom has its place, but used only in situtations that call for it)

No PTE can't make MPEG files. The .exe files can be played on virtually any computer except a MAC, although if you do a search of the forum you will find that someone did finally get a PTE show working on a MAC, with a numbers of hoops and jumps.

Thanks JRR.

I guess I will wait then until the newer version comes out with the pan and zoom features. I personally would not use a program without them. They may be considered overused, but IMHO they really add a professional flare to a good show. I have looked at the same shows with and without, and always prefer the with. ;)

Cheers

t

Hi Tim,

Ken Burns has a lot to answer for! The pan & zoom effect is just another technique and can often be over-used (just like any other transition effect) There is a lot to be said for the plain old 'gentle fade'.

In my opinion, a good audio visual program should be judged on its ability to produce excellent picture clarity and PTE certainly manages to achieve that. Remember also, that once you have purchased your PTE licence - all future upgrades are free (forever). What other software can boast that?

Igor and his team of programmers are always working to improve this program and seem to listen to what we, the users, would like. Another bonus I think.

Ron West

PTE creates a .exe file. Can this .exe file be played on basically every/any computer? Can PTE create MPEG files?

PTE can create AVI movies using a number of different CODECS and AVI can easily be converted to other formats so the answer is yes but not directly to an mpeg.

Lin

Well regardless of what some think of the pan and zoom features, it would still be a WIN WIN situation have it added to the program. Those of you that hate it, don't ever have to use it; and those that want it will then purchase the program.

FWIW, I did a bit of surveying amongst my friends here and showed them a show (just pics as I still cannot do music) without any pan zoom and another with pan zoom. So far people unanimously prefer the pan zoom show. I think you guys are just being afraid of progress.

It also highly depends upon the kind of shows you specialize in. If it is mostly scenery, landscapes, family events, etc., then I could see not wanting to use these features much. But if the show is more macro, birds, insects, flowers, animals, etc., then the pan zoom feature can take a show much further and make it much more impressive.

IMHO, if you were to do a blnd survey of average viewers, the majority would prefer the show with these effects in there. It adds some movement to the show and makes it feel more like you are really there, instead of just watching a slide show.

Like I say, different strokes. Bottom line for me is that I would not purchase this program unless Igor indicates that it will be added in a future upgrade.

Your statement about "a good audio visual program should be judged on its ability to produce excellent picture clarity" is duly noted, and that is just one of the reasons why I hate Photo Story. No question PTE and ProShow excel there. :) But there is still no reason why a program that produces great clarity cannot also upgrade its features.

t