WnSoft Forums

Floating Screen-Ruler

Conflow

Some Goodies

Following on from 'Kens Calculator List' (below) here are a few more helpful goodies.....

Measure your Photographs & Everything else

Did you ever want a 'Fully Floating Screen Ruler' which you can position anywhere on the Screen (Vertical or Horizontal) which accurately measures in 'realtime' Centimeters or Inches with pre-settable Calibration ?....Works with every Screen on the PC ? and can be 'Overlaid' anywhere ? Well here it is:- www.fabsoft.com (Type it in)

And a Mathematical Calculator that does virtually everything including Pixels/Inches www.xmlcreatre.com

Enjoy ~ Brian.Conflow.

I highlighted www.fabsoft.com and pasted in msn search and found the site without any trouble. Downloaded "Cool Ruler" and the shortcut icon now rests on my desktop and works satisfactorily. Thanks Brian. Good luck Ken.

Ron [uK]

I have now downloaded this ruler and I reckon that it may well prove to be useful. However, when I compare it to the ruler in Photoshop there does seem to be a difference in the sizes (inches). When I lay the downloaded ruler against the Photoshop ruler it is different. You try it and see.

Maybe I am missing something.

Ron West

However, when I compare it to the ruler in Photoshop there does seem to be a difference in the sizes (inches).

would it not be logical to use the cool ruler or another in the p2e show rather than the ruler from a graphics program -- the ruler program floats on the screen, does your graphic program ruler float -- i would only use the ruler while placing things and checking position of something on the screen

what brought all these recent threads up was Igor's statement re ideal resolution,Lumenlux made 2 show's of varying resolution -- he sent me manual control shows w/o sound -- and in my way of trying to see if i could see the difference, i needed a magnifier that would float on screen in order to study the picts

so i guess Igor will have to put it on his long "to do list" to include floating ruler, pixel calculator and above all a floating magnifier for us nearly blind old guys :D:D:D:D

MY eyes have not changed since i retired in 1993 - just had them rechecked in July -- i showed the Dr. the text that i have difficult reading in newspapers and magazines, he said that was normal. He also said that every year when the new phone books are issued he gets a rash of calls for eye tests for people like myself, he sells them the page size magnifier -- i told him i frequently use a 4" magnifier, that was ok - the worst thing i could do was strain my eyes

and that is why i run 800/600 screen res on my 19"crt

my only problem is when my wife is sitting behind me and a risque joke comes in -- she can see it :rolleyes:

ken

Cool Ruler

Ron and Ken,

Yes the Ruler does float on the Screen, put your Mouse Icon anywhere within a blank space on the Ruler and you can drag it anywhere and also 'Flip it' with the right/angle Arrows on the extreme left..

You can also 'Re-Size' it by dragging the 'Rifle Sight Icon' on the exteme RH.Side of the Ruler.

Calibration: The Ruler is accurate to within <1.5mm once Calibrated. Do you see the little Icon Boxes within the Yellow Window, pick the 3rd from the Left side. Now choose 'Custom Scaling Factor' now get a genuine Plastic Ruler and superimpose both Rulers on the Screen.

Now adjust the Scaling factor. For my PC the Scaling Factor is '87. This Scaling Factor is different for each PC.Monitor, however once "set" you dont have to do it again.

I use this Ruler all the time in 'PTE Object Editor' for setting up the alignment of Text and Object positions before I hit 'Save As'...No it doesn't Save with the 'Object Screen'...and yes, it can be SUPERIMPOSED ON ANY WINDOW on the PC, which Photoshop and others can't do.

Printing an Object

If you use the Ruler to set the dimensions of 'any object' prior to Printing and then Print it, you will find that the 'printed object dimensions' are exactly as you set them on the Screen ~ provided the Ruler was calibrated in the 1st instance.

I use it for setting up and printing my own 'Home-Made CD-Labels' 122.mm x122.mm...

Try that with other Rulers ?...

Floating

You can 'Superimpose it on this EMail' and 'scroll' the EMail up and down behind the Ruler...try it !....yes it certainly does float.

Brian.Conflow.

yes it certainly does float.

Brian, I think Ken was referring to the ruler in Photoshop when he asked me if it 'floated'.

However, your nores on how to use and calibrate this ne 'floating' ruler are very useful - than you.

Ron

No problems Ronnie,

Only trying to help you and Ken with some Instructions, because when I first downloaded the 'Ruler' a few years ago it nearly drove me mad due to the lack of any 'Text Instructions' - but now the thing has become my right-hand man.

I hope you get some use out of it ?

Brian.Conflow.