WnSoft Forums

Problems with "DVD Writer not available"

tickytom

Hi Folks,

This is my first post so apologies if this has cropped up already.

Using PTE 4.41 and Ulead moviefactory 4, I have come across a strange problem. I have successfully burned a couple of DVDVideo discs for viewing on TV but now, when I try, MF4 tells me the DVD writer is in use by something else (not to my knowledge it isn't). So I transferred everything to my laptop with a different burner on it, no problem. Then I after a couple of burns I strated to get the same problem.

I've tried turning it on and off again to no avail.

Has anyone else had this problem?

All help greatly appreciated.

Regards

TomB

Thanks for your responses Michel and Ken.

I have no TV card or anything like that. This afternoon I burned one DVD but had made a mistake (I am a wedding photog wanting to make DVD slideshows for couples) so altered it and went to burn another and it wouldn't have it. Same with the main PC a couple of weeks ago.

I will try ctrl alt del to bring up the task manager and go through the processes.

Nero worked fine but is so sloooow compared with MF4 - also the DVD video produced by MF4 seems to look better imho. (is that just my imagination?)

Why can Nero do it when MF4 can't?:angry:

Thanks again

Tom

Tom

i have 3 main dvd programs,

nero 6.6 suite,most user friendly and can burn multiple disks once the first is compiled and burned -- real fast if you set it up to go to cache and not disk at once

WinDvd that came with my ASUS MOB -- NEXT USER FRIENDLY - it has a place in my collection of utilities - is slow compared to nero and does not burn multiples but has some neat fades if you had multiple shows going on disk-- i have never tried all the features

roxio 7 suite i bought it because i was familiar with the old interface - is least user friendly of the 3 so only use certain features -- i installed the full suite so it is the default iso file burner if i get an iso to copy to a working disk -- and it has the drag and drop feature installed so that when i installed nero the nero drag and drop was blocked by nero -- a big no no in the old days to have 2 drag and drop programs -- have heard many horror stories

i have several other utilities on board but use them for specific file conversion etc

i see no difference in the quality of shows

i sub to a group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/advanced_cdr/

and there is a lot of info being discussed re dvd's now -- it was initially for cd problems but dvd problems are now being discussed

wish you well

ken

Guest Techman1

Tom,

Welcome to the forum. I usually run Ulead's MovieFactory and create a disk image first. I don't burn it to the DVD from Ulead, but simply let it create the DVD image. Then, I use Nero to burn the ISO image onto DVD. This has eliminated all of my problems to date (knock on wood - as they say). Previously, when I would let Ulead burn the DVD, I had intermittent problems.

Sorry, I couldn't address your direct question as I've never run against that issue (but I'm running an older version of Ulead than you).

Good luck and let us know how it works.

Fred